watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham v Non league.

Started by Jimpav, July 09, 2010, 06:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimpav

Having just moved from Tunbridge Wells back to Tonbridge I had been flirting with the romantic notion of going along to support my local team, the Tonbridge Angels. Languishing in the bowels of the non league - in the Ryman South or former Isthiam division they are a side that I follow from the back pages of the local paper and from the Sky Sports news results ticker.

The thought of walking to the ground, mingling with old faces and cheering on a genuinely local side made me a come over all misty eyed. That was until I checked the prices:

£10 for a match day ticket or £180 or a season ticket. This may not seem much but when you consider that a ST for Fulham starts at £286  that works out at £15 a game.  I know that the benefits of a season ticket have long been trumpteted smugly by those of us lucky to be able to afford/justify one but any lingering doubts have now been truly banished.

Does anyone attend matches at their local club? What are your experiences - does it justify these sort of prices?

FatFreddysCat

Some of them non league clubs pay good money to their players, fella on the dust with me played for Havant and Waterlooville in that season they played at Anfield (he was sub, but did score against Swansea) , he wasn't an automatic first teamer, but was still taking £1500 a month home for being part time, so even at £10 i dont know how the non league teams can pay the players. I went on holiday with Micheal Bodley who was at the scum for a while before following Barry Fry to nearly every club he managed, and at Barnet he was on £300 a week officialy, but got the anouther few hundred from the club house fruity every week.

Lighthouse

I used to attend matches three times a week. Fulham season ticket was manageable and I bought two because my mate or my Sis or Dad would always come. Then I would go off on a Sunday to watch football at a goodish level. If there wasn't a Fulham game then off around Sussex to watch County League stuff plus midweek matches.

Now tickets are stupid prices. With travel and everything added it just is out of my pocket. Still thems the breaks and those were the good old days.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Vinnieffc

I enjoy an afternoon out egg chasing at Blackheath. They're in National League 1 which is effectively third tier rugby. Admission is £12 but includes the programme, and the standard of rugby is actually pretty good. And you can stand pitch side with a nice pint of Abbot Ale in your paw.

epsomraver

Bognor in the depths of the blue square charge £10 but beer is £2 a pint, still a lot for lower league, I believe they wanted £15 for the Fulham reserves at Kingstonians.

Jimpav

I've been to watch to watch Barnstaple v Bideford  a few times down in North Devon and that was always cracking entertainment.

They are massive rivals being the two closet teams in North Devon. Bideford are the league topping money bags from across the river. They have the flashier players, a big ground and continuously top the league. Barnstaple are perpetutal strugglers with a smaller ground -  echoing another team, a bit closer to my heart.

The fixture is always played on Boxing day and Good Friday meaning attendances were quite high and beer would be consumed plentifully.

The first match I saw was a thrilling 3-2, with Barnstaple winning against the odds.
It's just shame that its not much more expensive to experience the joys of Fulham battering European giants.

Going back to your points Fred, it amazes me how these clubs remain sustainable. The largest crowd Tonbridge ever had was about 1500 but the average is reportedly lower. Havants trip to Anfield must hae been some pay day for that club.

jarv

It is silly money but I guess most go occasionally, so a tenner is small change and the clubs need it to keep going. I recall paying 50p to get in at Walton & Hersham because Osgood (chelsea, yes that one) was playing (and the bar was open in the afternoon).

My son moved to London from USA and had 3 seasons non league. The games are entertaining, played in the right spirit (except for the occasional bench clearing brawl) with some decent players on show.

Mr. Lighthouse, do you ever go to 3 Bridges in Sussex? I used to play for them (in the late 60s). The pitch was like a bog in mid winter.

All in all, non-league is a bit of a laugh. One of my mates used to get yelled at every week by the same woman in the crowd. Until he threatened to deck her!
Every time he made a mistake "yu are f**king useless" was the cry.

Lighthouse

Jarv - I did indeed visit Three Bridges but it would have been as late as the Eighties. I saw teams down here in whatever Leagues alot. Bognor,Wick,Lewes,Crawley,Peacehaven.Newhaven,Saltdean,Worthing,Southwick, etc etc. I have to say enjoyed them all. Players on their way up and players nearing the end of their career and players playing for the joy of the game, always made for entertaing matches.

I used to work in Three Bridges so would watch the football and then go to work.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

GoldCoastWhite

I know 3 Bridges well as I lived in Maidenbower and Pound Hill for about four years (97 to 01) and used to catch the train to Fulham from 3 Bridges. Never watched a game at 3 Bridges though (was the ground just off the road running parallel to the train line ?) but did get along to a handful of Crawley games. If I happened to have a Saturday off I'd invariably be watching The Whites. 

jarv

Mr. Goldcoast, yes that is the ground. So, you lived in Pound Hill? I had a mate who lived there, what is the name of the grotty pub half way up/down the hill? Used to sell rubbish beer too. We used to go there occasionally, usually if it was raining cos we didn't want to walk too far.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: jarv on July 10, 2010, 10:39:31 PM
Mr. Goldcoast, yes that is the ground. So, you lived in Pound Hill? I had a mate who lived there, what is the name of the grotty pub half way up/down the hill? Used to sell rubbish beer too. We used to go there occasionally, usually if it was raining cos we didn't want to walk too far.
I wish someone had given me this tip 20 years ago, but if a pub serves crap beer , just dont drink there. it took me five years of drinking snakebite over the club i played for, before i realised that not all lager is watered down and warm  :doh:

Jimpav

Happened to glimpse a look at the local paper this morning and one of the headlines was:

"Former Angels player unveiled as Liverpool manager"

Turns out that Dear old Roy used to play for my local side. Not sure in what capacity but digging deeper it also transpires that Malcolm Mcdonald had a stint with Tonbridge also.

Whatever next?

Ps. Not sure why they didn't have a headline for "Ex Angels player takes Fulham all the way" but that's one for another day.