News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Hats off to The Switch and McCarthy .... that is how to play in the Championship

Started by Robbie, February 14, 2015, 08:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robbie

What struck me is that Ipswich were not particularly high quality BUT they had everything you need in this league, and that we don't have:

1) Energy, pace, movement off the ball
2) Generally pretty tight straightforward passing, mainly on the deck (what are those stupid "flicks" that McCormack is now trying to do?)
3) Defended high up the field - basically they dominated mid-field
4) Play maker strikers - rather than a Hugo (if its an open goal and the wind is blowing from NNW on Tuesday afternoon, I may tap it in)
5) Leaders in defence - anyone noticed how they were all shouting across to each other, all game.  And they were tall and fit.
6) Husslers - not afraid to push Roberts (WHY?) off the ball as they know in the Championship you mainly get away with shoulder barges etc.

SP

McCarthy & his coach spent the whole match shouting at their players & the referee. Quite a contrast to Kit who looked more like a casual observer.

HV71

Some weeks ago I was seen to the " guilty party" on here as I dared to praise big Mick for being an extremely effective manager in the Championship. The ever present " we must have pretty football brigade " as anything else is not " the Fulham way  " waded in with claims that he plays brutal , boring , bang it up front football . Many accused his sides of being over aggressive and dirty. Didn't see much of that today. What I did see was an average team , well disciplined in what they had to do and extremely hardy hard working, with great desire to win each ball, each tackle and the game. Mick himself was urging the team on for the whole 90 minutes and displayed the same enthusiasm.We would not have scored in a month of Sundays but for that defensive howler.

I expected a reaction from our dismal 2nd half performance in midweek but we couldn't even muster that. The tactics, as many have said on here , are completely wrong. The  lack of plan B becomes more evident as each game is played  I am sure I will again be asked to " drop it " as I mention the Smith man again but yet again I want to repeat that in this League you have to be pragmatic. It is no good living with the dogma of " the Fulham way " and the beautiful game .  The dogma of the diamond has to go . Get real we are playing cxxx football and getting tactically outwitted in the majority of games.

Funnily enough I don't think we will go down  we will somehow muddle through and will escape thank the lord. It will however be by luck and not judgement

Southcoastffc

I know stats are far from the whole story but these from yesterday depress me:

Possession: Us 61%     Them 39%

Passing Accuracy: Us 72%     Them 58%

Shots:  Us 13    Them 15

Shots On Target Us 1  Them 9

Thing is I think Ipswich really are not very good.  They work hard, are prepared to be cynical (McCarthy is their manager after all), and are organised.

We need to man up but I really don't know whether we have any real leaders on the pitch.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: HV71 on February 14, 2015, 11:51:03 PM
Some weeks ago I was seen to the " guilty party" on here as I dared to praise big Mick for being an extremely effective manager in the Championship. The ever present " we must have pretty football brigade " as anything else is not " the Fulham way  " waded in with claims that he plays brutal , boring , bang it up front football . Many accused his sides of being over aggressive and dirty. Didn't see much of that today. What I did see was an average team , well disciplined in what they had to do and extremely hardy hard working, with great desire to win each ball, each tackle and the game. Mick himself was urging the team on for the whole 90 minutes and displayed the same enthusiasm.We would not have scored in a month of Sundays but for that defensive howler.

I expected a reaction from our dismal 2nd half performance in midweek but we couldn't even muster that. The tactics, as many have said on here , are completely wrong. The  lack of plan B becomes more evident as each game is played  I am sure I will again be asked to " drop it " as I mention the Smith man again but yet again I want to repeat that in this League you have to be pragmatic. It is no good living with the dogma of " the Fulham way " and the beautiful game .  The dogma of the diamond has to go . Get real we are playing cxxx football and getting tactically outwitted in the majority of games.

Funnily enough I don't think we will go down  we will somehow muddle through and will escape thank the lord. It will however be by luck and not judgement

I agree with you
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES