watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Erickson distances himself from Fulham

Started by Lighthouse, July 14, 2010, 06:43:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lighthouse

Sven Goran Eriksson has distanced himself with the Fulham managerial post by revealing he is considering a new Ivory Coast deal.

The former England manager is reportedly in the frame for the Cottagers job, which became vacant when Roy Hodgson departed for Liverpool two weeks ago.

Swedish tactician Eriksson, who led the Three Lions at three major tournaments, joined The Elephants as manager on a short-term deal before the World Cup.

He failed to ensure the team's passage through a tough group in South Africa, but they are reportedly keen to retain the 62-year-old's services until the World Cup in Brazil in four years' time.

"They (Ivory Coast) were really pleased and I guess that I can stay on if I want to," Eriksson told Swedish broadcaster SVT.

"If so, it will be for four years until the next World Cup finals.

"I'll make up my mind in a week or so. I have to do it soon since there are friendlies in August and qualifications for the Africa Cup of Nations in September and October."

Rumours
Switzerland manager Ottmar Hitzfeld and United States boss Bob Bradley have also been linked with the Craven Cottage post as Fulham search for a suitable successor for Hodgson, who guided the Londoners to the Europa League final last year.

Eriksson formerly worked with Cottagers chief executive Alistair Mackintosh at Manchester City, which could work to his advantage if he were to consider the Fulham post.

But the Swede insists he knows nothing of claims he is in line to take over at the west London club.

Eriksson added: "I do not know, honestly. I do not think Fulham have decided what they want to do."

FROM SKY
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Lighthouse

Well if true I shall be happier if it was one of the next few favourites. My fear is still Curbs or even using the staff we already have.

Lighthouse

Same story from Teamtalk but with a worrying quote near the end.

Fulham's hopes of luring Sven-Goran Eriksson as manager could be in jeopardy after he revealed he may extend his contract as Ivory Coast coach.

The former England boss is reported to be one of a number of high-profile names on the shortlist for the Fulham job, which was vacated by Roy Hodgson who left to join Liverpool a fortnight ago.

Eriksson, who has considerable international experience having led England at three major tournaments, took over as Elephants boss on a short-term contract before the World Cup.

Eriksson failed to guide the team through a difficult group in South Africa but it seems they are keen for the 62-year-old to stay on until the next World Cup in Brazil.

"They (Ivory Coast) were really pleased and I guess that I can stay on if I want to," Eriksson told Swedish broadcaster SVT. "If so, it will be for four years until the next World Cup finals.

"I'll make up my mind in a week or so. I have to do it soon since there are friendlies in August and qualifications for the Africa Cup of Nations in September and October."

Switzerland manager Ottmar Hitzfeld and United States boss Bob Bradley are also thought to be on Fulham's wishlist as they look for a manager with proven experience to succeed Hodgson, who guided the Londoners to the Europa League final last year.

Eriksson's relationship with Cottagers chief executive Alistair Mackintosh, who he used to work with at Manchester City, could work to his advantage but he says he is in the dark over the claims he is in line to take over at the west London club.

"I do not know, honestly. I do not think Fulham have decided what they want to do," said Eriksson.

tingtawng

Premier League - Report: Sven set for Fulham job

Eurosport - Wed, 14 Jul 11:39:00 2010
Buzz Up!

Former England manager Sven Goran Eriksson could be set to take over the reins as Fulham manager by the end of the week, according to the Daily Mail.

The newspaper reports that the other main candidates for the Craven Cottage job, Swiss national team manager Ottmar Hitzfeld and USA coach Bob Bradley, have seen their claims on the job fall by the wayside, leaving the Swede the hot favourite for the job.

Fulham's chief executive Alistair Macintosh is understood to favour Eriksson, but the Mail reports that club chairman Mohamed Al Fayed has reservations - particularly about the manager's salary demands.

The Cottagers are keen to land a manager with international experience so as not to slip back following last season's incredible run to the Europa League final - and the club want to appoint a new manager in order to lead the team on their pre-season tour next week.

Eriksson will be hoping that the destination for that pre-season tour will be a good omen: the club are off to Sweden.
Eurosport
IN SVEN VE TVUST

White Noise

He has clearly spoken to Fulham though and sounds like he is waiting on the club.

Tom

Man I hope this is true! If it is, best thing I have heard all day.
Fulham for life!

Mr Fulham

He only tries to push his transfer targets through. I'm pretty confident that he'll sign for Fulham in the next week. Hopefully together with his prominent targets. By the way - one of them is a goalkeeper.

LBNo11

...for me SGE typifies the greed and mercenary attitude that puts the modern game in such poor light. I will still go and support the team, but begrudge the show pony his extra wonga towards his retirement fund.

And if you ever hear me sing "SGE blawhiarmy" you have permission to hit me with a freshly caught halibut...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

White Noise

Quote from: LBNo11 on July 14, 2010, 10:12:26 PM
...for me SGE typifies the greed and mercenary attitude that puts the modern game in such poor light. I will still go and support the team, but begrudge the show pony his extra wonga towards his retirement fund.

And if you ever hear me sing "SGE blawhiarmy" you have permission to hit me with a freshly caught halibut...

I know what you mean LB but I really think you will be pleasantly surprised should the cuban heeled one get the nod.

ImperialWhite

Quote from: LBNo11 on July 14, 2010, 10:12:26 PM

Wouldn't trying to cram "Sven-gor-an-er-ik-son-s-bla-whi-armee!" into so few syllables form some kind of audible blackhole!?

Lighthouse

This from the latest Daily Star that bastion of truth.

SVEN Goran Eriksson will tell Fulham: Don't believe the lies about my wage demands!

The Swede remains Fulham's No.1 choice but fears his reputation will ruin his chances of succeeding Roy Hodgson as Craven Cottage boss.

Eriksson is prepared to take a drop from the £3m a year he received at his only previous Premier League job at Manchester City.

Eriksson has been incensed by reports that his wage demands are threatening to scupper a move to west London.

The club have made initial contact with Eriksson's agent Athole Still and the 62-year-old does want the role.

USA boss Bob Bradley and Swiss manager Ottmar Hitzfeld are also in the frame

GoldCoastWhite

Does Sven do incensed ? Perturbed maybe, or perhaps even slightly irritated, but incensed ? Naah. :030: