watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Martin Jol set to be named Fulham boss in the next 48 hours

Started by Brede Butter Pudding, July 15, 2010, 06:36:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

Make it a 3 year rolling contract and I'll be happy,i don't want to lose another manager when the so called"big teams" come knocking,apart from that I'm happy will Big Martin-good manager,not a big head look at me type of manager, comes across as a guy you would like to have a beer with :sir_roy: if it's true, it's a result :clap_hands: :clap_hands: :clap_hands:

BarryP

"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

ToodlesMcToot

Along the line of rolling contracts......can anyone clarify the reasoning for the 12 month rolling contract that Fulham seem to prefer?

I wasn't aware of it prior to Hodgson's appointment, but now it seems the norm for us. Just seems to encourage the temporary nature of the managerial position when I would think we'd desire consistency over a long term.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

watfordwhite

Rupert

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on July 15, 2010, 08:48:35 PM
Along the line of rolling contracts......can anyone clarify the reasoning for the 12 month rolling contract that Fulham seem to prefer?

I wasn't aware of it prior to Hodgson's appointment, but now it seems the norm for us. Just seems to encourage the temporary nature of the managerial position when I would think we'd desire consistency over a long term.

Simply put, if we were to sign Jol or whoever on a five year deal worth £1 million a year, it would cost us £4 million to get him to leave at the end of his first season if we were unhappy with him (if he got us relegated, for example). On a rolling year long contract the manager has some job security (every morning he effectively has a contract for the next 365 days) but, should we flirt with relegation, the club can dispense ith his services by paying him a year's salary (£1 million in the above example).
Similarly, if the manager decides he wants to go to fresh pastures, we get compensation as he is still under contract to us (every morning we have him as our boss for the next 365 days), so, as in Roy's case, Liverpool had to cough up for us to release him.

It gives a degree of stability to both parties without risking the sort of thing Liverpool faced when they wanted rid of their previous gaffer, only to balk at the potential cost. The bastards.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

timmyg

Wow. Can't say I saw this coming.

My only worry about Jol is that he'll leave in a years time.

Since being forced out at Spurs, he took Hamburg to first place for a little bit in a year that Bayern dominated. Last year Ajax were extremely close to a Eredivise title but did manage to set a scoring record (I think like 120 goals or so).
"Not everybody's the perfect person in the world. I mean everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever." -- Terrelle Pryor, on Michael Vick

HatterDon

I thought Jol did a good job at Spurs and was shafted by their incredibly idiotic board. I don't believe ANYTHING ANYBODY SAYS ABOUT FULHAM MANAGER CANDIDATES, but I'm cool with Jol if that's what it is.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Fernhurst

Martin Jol..... yeah I can live with that.......always enjoyed his frank interviews and his playing style. Seem a good honest fella and inherits a pretty good squad.
Will be very interested in his incoming picks and to see if our style of play changes quickly (or not). He will need to get to grip with the squad pretty sharpish so.... come back for an opinion update after the busy Christmas fixture train smash.

IF IT'S YOU ??? - WELCOME MATE  :clap_hands:  :clap_hands:

mrska

I like JOL..

Plus i can do a good JOL impression..  which will boost me socailly in the pubs before and after games...

I need all the help i can get..  believe me!

Mr Fulham

Quote from: timmyg on July 15, 2010, 09:36:02 PM
but did manage to set a scoring record (I think like 120 goals or so).

106:20 / +86

Nevertheless, impressive.

Brede Butter Pudding

Quote from: Mr Fulham on July 15, 2010, 10:57:08 PM
Quote from: timmyg on July 15, 2010, 09:36:02 PM
but did manage to set a scoring record (I think like 120 goals or so).

106:20 / +86

Nevertheless, impressive.

At least we'll see a change from Roy's quite conservative (and dare i say it, often dull) tactics, particularly at away games. Maybe 3 up top? (Bobby, Gera, Dempsey)?

Mr. Fulham, did you contact mention anything about Jol being appointed or is this news to you too?

Mr Fulham

Quote from: Brede Butter Pudding on July 15, 2010, 11:05:50 PM

Mr. Fulham, did you contact mention anything about Jol being appointed or is this news to you too?

Completely new. My problem is, that Fulham only works together with that agency in player-transfer-matters.

In terms of Fulham's managerial search, they are working with another agency.
Liverpool for example worked with that agency where I get my news from.

ron

If we've managed to avoid the SGE   hype/media circus/early farewell ....then I'm well pleased....and I can think of others far worse  than Jol.

Brede Butter Pudding

Quote from: Mr Fulham on July 15, 2010, 11:13:27 PM
Quote from: Brede Butter Pudding on July 15, 2010, 11:05:50 PM

Completely new. My problem is, that Fulham only works together with that agency in player-transfer-matters.

In terms of Fulham's managerial search, they are working with another agency.
Liverpool for example worked with that agency where I get my news from.

Ah I see, fair enough, if you hear anything else from your end please let us know.

Mr Fulham

Quote from: Brede Butter Pudding on July 15, 2010, 11:24:44 PM

Ah I see, fair enough, if you hear anything else from your end please let us know.

But of course.

Oakeshott

Jones is now 2nd favourite to Jol on Betfair, with the dreadful Swede drifting in the betting.

The Equalizer

"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Tktd

Jols Record at Tottenham

Played  Won   Drew  Lost   Win %
Tottenham Hotspur  5 November 2004 25 October 2007     148     67     38      43     45.27

I'd personally be dissapointed given who else has been up for the job if Jol got it. Hughesy, Eriksson and Hitzfeld were all preferred options for me and I am not at all enamoured with Jol. Yes he got Tottenham to 5th two seasons running but even in those two seasons there were signs of struggling and also the need for financial investment.

In Hitzfeld, Erikkson and Hughes I saw grounded managers who were ambitious / respected and dealt very well (in comparison to most) int he transfer market. Eriksson and Hitzfeld had also accomplished a lot in their managerial careers which excited me as it proved they had the nous and experience to achieve winning results - which having got to the Europa League final is what I was hoping we'd progress to.

Jol for me is a bit too unambitious for me. He's been in England - never set the world alight and needed funds to buy players he could work with. There were periods of unrest in the Totteham camp too when he was around and you don't get fired from your job like he did for no reason. I'd be ever so slightly gutted if he came basically!  :dft006:

Ichabod Magoo

I like Jol and thought he did a nice job at Spurts despite getting stuck with odd front office deals.  Plus he won't play for a 0-0 result on the road.  His teams press the action and also defend well.  Sounds like a good combination to me.   :045:
If your nose runs and your feet smell, you must have been born upside down. ~ Chudley Rippington III

tingtawng

he looks like one mean mutha who would head butt Fergie just for the craik
IN SVEN VE TVUST