watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Europe - When Next?

Started by White Noise, July 16, 2010, 09:42:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

The managerial bar seems to have been raised at Fulham and the names being linked with the vacancy seem to point to an aspiration to return to the European fray as soon as possible.   
But when do you think we will next play in Europe - if at all? Does anyone on here see it happening in the next 5 years? If so, how?

Our precious fair play league topping performances may disappear for good under a new manager and anyway there seem to be so many variables in that route that there would seem to be more chance of Salma Hayek asking me for love lessons than Fulham getting the nod.

On a separate note, has anyone been spoilt by the European thing to the point where they are desperately anti-climactic about the forthcoming season? Is it like having a fling with the best looking girl at school having met up through Friends Reunited and now the missus doesn't look quite as appealing in her flame proof dressing gown and Garfield slippers?

Jimpav

If we can secure the services of a reliable and experienced manager there is no reason why we can not make in roads to Europe once more.

The seasons before this 7th went to:

2009/10 Liverpool - 63 points
2008/09 Fulham - 53 points
2007/08 Blackburn - 58 points
2006/07 Bolton - 56 points
2005/06 Newcastle - 58 points
2004/05 Boro- 55 points
200304  Charlton  - 53 points

This is an average of 57 points (56.7).

Look at the teams in that line up. Up until May, three of them were plying theur trade outside of the PL and the other two were relegation candidates until a change of management dramatically improved their standings.

Europe is by no means an exclusive club as we have proved already last season. There are no guarantees any more in this league. Liverpool learnt that the hard way as did Man City.

I think another 7th place finish is realistic with the squad we have and the best part of 20 less games than we played last season.

We have a disciplined defence, an improving midfield and a great strike partnership in Bobby and Zolta up front.  

We finished 12th last season on 46 points- missing out on 9th place by 4 points. We didn't take a single point in January, won away once, had a shocking injury list and also had 2 massive cup runs to contend with.

In the right hands we can make  an FA cup final or have a crack at 7th.

Stand up if you still believe.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: Jimpav on July 16, 2010, 10:43:03 AM
If we can secure the services of a reliable and experienced manager there is no reason why we can not make in roads to Europe once more.

2004/05 Boro- 55 points
200304  Charlton  - 53 points

Look at the teams in that line up. Up until May, three of them were plying theur trade outside of the PL and the other two were relegation candidates until a change of management dramatically improved their standings.

Europe is by no means an exclusive club as we have proved already last season. There are no guarantees any more in this league. Liverpool learnt that the hard way as did Man City.

I think another 7th place finish is realistic with the squad we have and the best part of 20 less games than we played last season.

We have a disciplined defence, an improving midfield and a great strike partnership in Bobby and Zolta up front. 

We finished 12th last season on 46 points- missing out on 9th place by 4 points. We didn't take a single point in January, won away once, had a shocking injury list and also had 2 massive cup runs to contend with.

In the right hands we can make  an FA cup final or have a crack at 7th.

I am LOVING the optimism

White Noise

Can you improve on having the best manager in the division last season?

Surely the only way is down isn't it?

What do you think the main remit is from the board to the new manager? I'll bet it is - 'avoid relegation'.

MGBadrock

Quote from: Jimpav on July 16, 2010, 10:43:03 AM

2004/05 Boro- 55 points
200304  Charlton  - 53 points

In the right hands we can make  an FA cup final or have a crack at 7th.

Loving your optimism!

A Top 10 finish with a deep run into the FA Cup would be a satisfactory season, a trip to Wembley would be fantastic and is definitely not beyond us!

Teabag

The only realistic way to get into of Europe would be to win a cup. The top 4 next season, in no particular order, look to be the dark side, man city, man u, and arsenal. Then spurs, liverpool and everton fighting it out for 5th - 7th (although everton might be due a poor season). That leaves us, sunderland, brum fighting for 8th - 10th.

Wembley here we come!

clintclintdeuce

I expect to be in Europe next season to be quite honest.
The Dude abides.

HatterDon

The Top Four Club is expanding. Man City is certainly in there, as is [I choke typing this] Tottenham. Villa is really gelling and Everton survived it's injury/money problems very well. Someday SOMEDAY Newcastle are going to sort their board and management team out and they'll be up there also.

When we get into Europe, it'll be because of either:

1. We win the League Cup
2. We win the FA Cup
3. We lose the FA Cup Final to a CL qualifying side.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Burt

Although I REALLY enjoyed our European tour, and I have just about recovered from the 2 days I spent in Hamburg, I would really love to see us get to Wembley.

So a top 10 finish, along with the FA Cup.

Not too much to ask for, is it?

*Dreamy expression*

clintclintdeuce

Quote from: HatterDon on July 16, 2010, 03:46:27 PM
The Top Four Club is expanding. Man City is certainly in there, as is [I choke typing this] Tottenham. Villa is really gelling and Everton survived it's injury/money problems very well. Someday SOMEDAY Newcastle are going to sort their board and management team out and they'll be up there also.

When we get into Europe, it'll be because of either:

1. We win the League Cup
2. We win the FA Cup
3. We lose the FA Cup Final to a CL qualifying side.

Sorry, just because they have more money doesnt mean that theyre going to be better than us anymore. Its not an excuse anymore for us, and it shouldnt be for our fans anymore either. Have you seen the managers and players we are being linked to. Those teams should be worried from taking a spot from the ONLY BRITISH EUROPEAN FIALIST this season, not the other way around. Screw spurs... good luck carrying the workload we carriend last year and finishiing where we did. and that goes for citeh as well. I SAY BRING THEM ALL ON.
The Dude abides.

Brede Butter Pudding

Quote from: White Noise on July 16, 2010, 11:01:22 AM

What do you think the main remit is from the board to the new manager? I'll bet it is - 'avoid relegation'.

Roy wasn't the best I'm afraid, just ONE of the most tactically gifted. If we won an away game once in a while we might be in Europe sooner than most think.

bigalffc

if we can hang on to our first team and add a good manager and a couple of good quality players a cup win and top ten definitely on! :beer:
Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

ImperialWhite

Quote from: Brede Butter Pudding on July 16, 2010, 07:16:52 PM

Roy wasn't the best I'm afraid, just ONE of the most tactically gifted. If we won an away game once in a while we might be in Europe sooner than most think.

When I've got the time I'll compare our home vs away record in the league. But wasn't it the case last season (or maybe the season we got 7th?) that if our away form was, in relative terms, as good as our home form we would be just off the top four? Plus, if we won away once in a while we might get a few more people going!

beijing ben

Quote from: Teabag on July 16, 2010, 12:42:31 PM
The only realistic way to get into of Europe would be to win a cup. The top 4 next season, in no particular order, look to be the dark side, man city, man u, and arsenal. Then spurs, liverpool and everton fighting it out for 5th - 7th (although everton might be due a poor season). That leaves us, sunderland, brum fighting for 8th - 10th.

Wembley here we come!

Milner will be a loss to Villa if he goes but i don't think they will suffer that much!

I agree that a cup final is our only chance of getting back in to Europe

beijing ben

Quote from: Brede Butter Pudding on July 16, 2010, 07:16:52 PM

He was voted the best manager last season. The new manager can only match that.

Avoiding relegation will always be the priority. With Jol as manager, which hopefully he will be, i think we can be pretty confident of avoiding relegation

AmericanJames

Really battling relegation? I doubt it. I see the future as bright for us using last year as a stepping stone. The right manager (which i think Jol is), a couple more away wins, the right transfers in and a couple good youngsters into the squad we can build on our success. Let us not forget the past but in brace the future and the future is bright. Just because some clubs have more money doesn't mean the product on the field is going to be top flight. Come On You Mighty Whites!!!
Some people are literally too stupid to insult

clintclintdeuce

Quote from: AmericanJames on July 17, 2010, 08:33:47 AM
Really battling relegation? I doubt it. I see the future as bright for us using last year as a stepping stone. The right manager (which i think Jol is), a couple more away wins, the right transfers in and a couple good youngsters into the squad we can build on our success. Let us not forget the past but in brace the future and the future is bright. Just because some clubs have more money doesn't mean the product on the field is going to be top flight. Come On You Mighty Whites!!!

Amen, brother.(literally)
The Dude abides.

Tom

Quote from: clintclintdeuce on July 17, 2010, 04:08:58 PM
Quote from: AmericanJames on July 17, 2010, 08:33:47 AM

Amen, brother.(literally)
+1
Fulham for life!