watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (25/03/15)...

Started by WhiteJC, March 24, 2015, 06:44:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Boro confident over Bamford's availability as deal for Fulham defender is agreed

MIDDLESBROUGH are confident Patrick Bamford will be available for the crucial Easter double-header with Wigan Athletic and Watford, despite their leading goalscorer being forced to withdraw from the England Under-21 squad yesterday.

On a busy day at Rockliffe Park, Boro agreed the loan signing of Fulham centre-half Fernando Amorebieta until the end of the season, with full-back James Husband moving in the opposite direction.

Amorebieta's arrival will provide some much-needed defensive cover for injured duo Daniel Ayala and Jonathan Woodgate, both of whom are already significant doubts for the Easter games.

Fears were also raised at the other end of the pitch when Bamford was forced to pull out of Gareth Southgate's Under-21 squad, a move that means he misses next Monday's game with Germany at the Riverside as well as Friday's friendly with the Czech Republic in Prague.

The striker has been struggling with a toe problem for more than a month, with the injury having flared up again in the closing stages of Saturday's 3-0 defeat at Bournemouth.

Middlesbrough's medical staff assessed the problem on Sunday, and their prognosis was passed to the Football Association, who confirmed Bamford's international withdrawal yesterday morning.

However, with more than one-and-a-half weeks until Boro's next domestic outing against Wigan on Good Friday, there is confidence that Bamford will be available to face the Latics.

With the Wigan game due to be followed by an Easter Monday trip to promotion rivals Watford, the 21-year-old's availability represents a significant boost given that he had scored four goals in four games prior to last weekend's visit to the south coast.

"Gutted to have had to withdraw from the U21s squad," Bamford tweeted. "Been playing with an injury for the past five weeks and needed to sort it.

"Also, big thanks to Gareth Southgate for calling me up – means everything to me to play for my country and he knows I was very disappointed."

While Bamford's injury setback is only a minor worry, there is greater concern at the ongoing problems relating to Ayala and Woodgate, neither of whom was involved at the Goldsands Stadium.

In the pair's absence, Tomas Kalas partnered Ben Gibson at centre-half, with the out-of-favour Kenneth Omeruo the only defensive option on the substitutes' bench.

Rhys Williams has been ruled out of the remainder of the season, while Seb Hines is currently in the United States playing on loan for MLS side Orlando City, so Aitor Karanka concluded he needed another defensive option to see him through to the end of the campaign.

A deal was quickly agreed with Fulham for Amorebieta, a 29-year-old Venezuela international who initially moved to Craven Cottage in the summer of 2013.

Amorebieta started his career in Spain with Athletic Bilbao, making 254 appearances for the Basque club, who also count Karanka among their list of former players.

He moved from Bilbao to Fulham on a free transfer almost two years ago, but slipped down the pecking order at Craven Cottage under Felix Magath.

His prospects have not improved since Magath's departure, and he has made just seven senior appearances this season despite the Cottagers' struggles close to the foot of the Championship table.

His arrival suggests that Karanka is extremely reluctant to turn to Omeruo, with the Chelsea loanee having made just four league appearances since the turn of the year.

Omeruo was one of Boro's key players last season, with his eye-catching performances at the heart of the back four helping to earn him a place in the Nigeria squad at last summer's World Cup finals.

He started the current campaign as an integral member of the squad, but has clearly fallen out of favour in recent weeks, with his attitude cited as a potential factor behind his demotion. Regardless of where Boro finish this season, it is unlikely that he will be returning for a third time next term.

Husband's temporary switch to Craven Cottage as part of yesterday's deal reflects his failure to dislodge George Friend from the starting line-up this season.

Signed from Doncaster Rovers last summer, it was hoped Husband would compete with Friend for the left-back slot and enable Karanka to rotate his left-sided defenders.

However, while the Boro head coach has repeatedly changed his starting right-back, Husband has featured in just three Championship matches all season, and it has been concluded that he would benefit from the opportunity to challenge for some regular game time with Fulham in the final two months of the campaign.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/football/middlesbrough/11874488._/?

WhiteJC

Ex-Hatters striker called into England U21 squad

Cauley Woodrow in his Luton days

Former Luton striker Cauley Woodrow has been called up to the England U21 squad as replacement for injured West Brom forward Saido Berahino.

The 20-year-old Fulham attacker is now in line for his sixth cap during the friendly matches in the Czech Republic on Friday and at home to Germany on Monday.

Woodrow, who played three times for the Hatters before moving to Craven Cottage, has scored two goals for his country, while earning three caps at U17 level too.

http://www.dunstabletoday.co.uk/sport/football/luton-town/ex-hatters-striker-called-into-england-u21-squad-1-6650482

WhiteJC

Kačaniklić: Team Spirit Won It

Alexander Kačaniklić believes it was through steadfast defending, unwavering team spirit, and a bit of luck that the Whites claimed victory over Huddersfield Town at the John Smith's Stadium on Saturday.

Speaking to fulhamfc.com, Kačaniklić said: "We knew we needed to show team spirit – play strongly as a team and defend as a team. And we did it all game. It was always going to be a tough match. You could see on the surface the whole game was kind of scrappy, but we were delighted to have those three points."

Fulham went ahead in the second minute of the match when a corner from the Swedish winger soared straight into the net. "I didn't aim for that," Kačaniklić confessed, "but if you put it in that area anything can happen."

Then, down to 10 men in the 60th minute after Shaun Hutchinson was shown a red card for handball, the Whites clung onto their lead despite two penalties against them, securing the three points when Seko Fofana scored his first goal for the Whites, against the run of play in the closing minutes of the game.

"When we went down to 10 men against Leeds we played great football," said Kačaniklić. "We played attacking and we were probably the better team, but didn't get the points. Against Huddersfield we went down to 10 men and we needed to defend our lead. And the way we defended with the whole team was incredible. You saw Cauley making the shift as a right winger – the whole team played really well.

"It was an incredible game. I've never seen anything like it but we defended so well. It was incredible. That's football sometimes. For us it was great. We needed the three points and we got it.

"Obviously we had a bit of luck. You have to say we had a lot of luck on the day. Normally we don't have that luck, we haven't had any all season. So against Huddersfield we had luck but we really defended well. We kind of made our own luck in a way."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/march/24/kacaniklic?

WhiteJC

Could Fulham winger Lyle Della-Verde be on his way back to Bristol Rovers?

Lyle Della-Verde impressed in his seven appearances for Bristol Rovers.

FULHAM winger Lyle Della-Verde has dropped the biggest hint that he could be making a welcome return to Bristol Rovers before the loan window shuts this Thursday.

The 20-year-old enjoyed a fruitful spell as a loanee for Rovers back in November and went on to make seven appearances before an ankle injury sustained against Wrexham cut his stay short.

And now the winger has recently tweeted a picture of himself wearing the famous blue and white quarters, which has set pulses racing among Rovers supporters. Could Della-Verde be on his way back to the Memorial Stadium?

Read more: http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Fulham-winger-Lyle-Della-Verde-way-Bristol-Rovers/story-26221245-detail/story.html?#ixzz3VKYYnnlx
Follow us: @BristolPost on Twitter | bristolpost on Facebook

WhiteJC

Fulham sensation to be spared crash, bang wallop of the Championship

Whites manager mindful of burnout for teenager

On hold: Patrick Roberts

Fulham's boss admits he's protecting wonder boy Pat Roberts from the rough and tumble of the Championship.

The 18-year-old has drawn rave reviews from a host of clubs, and is the target for many including Liverpool it's rumoured, but Kit Symons has indicated a four-year deal is in the offing to guarantee would-be poachers go away.

Hope for the future: Pat Roberts (R) skips past Wolves' Richard Stearman
Roberts made an immediate impact as a 55th minute sub in a Premier League defeat to Manchester City last March. He then scored in the second leg of the 2014 FA Youth Cup final in May, which Fulham lost 7–6 on aggregate to Chelsea.

His silky skills provided the assist for Tim Hoogland in the 2-1 defeat to Ipswich on opening day. On Saturday, he was a spectator from the bench as Whites eased relegation fears with a bizarre 2-0 win at Huddersfield.

The 5ft 5ins midfielder's been used sparingly, mostly as a sub for a total 21 key of the door appearances. Even so, his coming of age is in the future, says his boss.

Tussle: Fulham's Patrick Roberts in action with Manchester City's Pablo Zabaleta
Symons explained: "I think you've got to be mindful of where young players are physically and mentally.

"Pat's very much still developing. You've got to protect and nurture these players in every way. Great talent and potential is nothing unless you can get it fulfilled, and we need to find a pathway for Pat to do that.

"Pat's got a another year on his current contract after this I believe. But with all players we're looking to bring on, we'll look to tie up with contracts for sure."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-sensation-spared-crash-bang-8903902?

WhiteJC

Edun's England Win

Tayo Edun played the full match as England Under-17s kicked off their European Championship Elite Qualifying Round with a 3-1 defeat of Norway on Saturday.

Sunderland's Daniel Wright put the Young Lions ahead with just three minutes played, but Norway drew level at Burton Albion's Pirelli Stadium just eight minutes later through Risa Birk.

But two goals in six second half minutes from Stuttgart's Danny Collinge and Leicester City's Layton Ndukwu earned victory for the home side.

"We were confident going into the game of getting the win – we had prepared very well for it over the week," Edun told TheFA.com after the match. "We met up last Sunday to get that preparation right, working on how Norway would play, and we took that into the game and got off to a good start."

The left-back has kept his place in the England camp having impressed during his time in previous squads, and he admitted he's delighted to be involved again.

"Getting in the squad was a great feeling," he admitted. "When it comes to the England squad, you sometimes wonder if you are good enough.

"But the fact that I'm here shows that the manager believes I'm good enough to be around these players, so I want to prove that.

"The left-back position has a lot of competition. We have Jay DaSilva here, and Hayden Coulson has also played there, so there's always someone there to take your place and do the job if you aren't."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/march/23/eduns-england-win?

WhiteJC

Less than 500 Fulham tickets remain

Tickets on General Sale but time running out to buy

There are now less than 500 tickets left for Brentford fans for the Sky Bet Championship West London derby away to Fulham
The Bees will travel to Craven Cottage for the derby on Good Friday, April 3.

The match will kick-off at 3pm.

Brentford have around 6,200 tickets to sell and it can now be confirmed that this is the final and maximum allocation.

More than 5,700 have been sold.

Those that remain include a number of restricted view tickets and single tickets.

Supporters wanting to buy tickets for groups are advised to do so quickly to avoid having to sit separately.

Tickets are now on General Sale with no restrictions on the number that can be bought.

Read more at http://www.brentfordfc.co.uk/news/article/fulham-v-brentford-ticket-news-2356149.aspx#48Xv4cFBfePOIe6h.99

WhiteJC

Magnus' England Diary

Following his call-up to the England Under-18 squad, Fulham goalkeeper Magnus Norman will be giving us a regular insight into life as an international player in a series of diary entries from St George's Park.

I was really honoured to get called up for England. My whole family were buzzing over it, especially my dad. When I was at Under-16 level, I got called up to an initial training camp and then in January this season I went to a goalkeeping camp at St George's Park, but this is the first time I've been called up for a squad.

I found out about it when I received a phone call from Vic Bettinelli. He said there was an England squad meeting up at the end of the month and that I'd be involved in it, so I was obviously delighted!

I found out on the Monday and then played on the Tuesday for my loan team Farnborough, but I got injured in that game so I wasn't even sure if I was going to be allowed to go or not. The idea that injury might prevent me from joining up with the squad was horrible. Every day I worked as hard as I possibly could just to try and get fit because all I wanted to do was meet up with England. Thankfully on Saturday I was passed fit to go and I was just buzzing to be able to go and meet up with the squad for the first time.

I got up here on Sunday, met up with the squad, all the staff, and a few players I hadn't come across before. It was quite chilled out on Sunday and then on Monday we trained in the morning which was really good, and then in the evening we went to watch the England Under-17 team play against Slovenia in their European Qualifier. Tayo Edun is in that squad – he played in the first game against Norway but I think they rested him for the Slovenia match.

It's just me and one other goalkeeper in the Under-18 squad; Sam Howes from West Ham. I've played against him a couple of times this season, but it's hard to judge someone when you're playing against them so to train with him is really good. He's a great keeper and a good lad, and he's been in a few squads before. We're playing Switzerland twice this week, on Thursday and on Saturday, and we've been told that we're going to get one game each, but I'm not sure which one.

We're based at the National Football Centre at St George's Park, and it's just amazing. The facilities here are literally the best you'll ever see. The hotel – which is unbelievable – is sort of built into the football centre. Then you've got the pitches, the gym facilities, everything is just amazing. It's a great environment for players. It's a place you dream of, it's perfect.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/march/24/magnus-england-diary?

Friendsoffulham

Report: Winger wanted by Premier League giants set for Fulham contract

Patrick Roberts is reportedly set for a new four-year contract with Fulham.

As per Get West London, the teenage sensation is set to be awarded a new four-year deal with Fulham.

The 18-year-old is considered one of the brightest talents in English football, and he has already made 21 appearances across the Premier League and Championship despite his young age.

After playing a key role as the Cottagers reached the FA Youth Cup final last year, Roberts has become something of a regular for Kit Symons's men this term, and it was Get West London who also reported on interest from Liverpool in the youngster.

His contract expires at the end of next season, and due to the workings of English football, the Reds would be able to poach Roberts away from Craven Cottage for a fee much lower than his actual worth.

There have been no indications that the England youth international is looking for a move away from West London in the near future, and the latest report that he is close to signing a long-term deal with the club will bring hope to Fulham's fans that they have the next superstar in their ranks.

A promising winger, former Fulham boss Felix Magath was quoted by GWL as believing that Roberts will be in the Premier League and a national player for England in the 'next year'.

"He will develop to the Premier League and I believe he'll be a national player for England in the next year," he said. "How fast he'll develop, nobody knows, but his skill is incredible."

Are you excited about the potential of Patrick Roberts?

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2015/03/24/report-winger-wanted-by-premier-league-giants-set-for-fulham-con/

WhiteJC

Fulham's Magnus Norman on West Ham United's Sam Howes

Fulham goalkeeper Magnus Norman speaks highly of West Ham United youngster Sam Howes.

Fulham goalkeeper Magnus Norman has been singing the praises of West Ham United custodian Sam Howes on the club's official website.

Both Norman and Howes are part of the England Under-18 squad for upcoming matches against Switzerland.

The first game is a behind-closed-doors encounter at St. George's Park on Thursday, and the second will be held at Walsall's Banks's Stadium on Saturday .

Norman and Howes have been training together ahead of the matches, and the former seems to have been impressed with the West Ham goalkeeper.

"It's just me and one other goalkeeper in the Under-18 squad; Sam Howes from West Ham," the youngster told Fulham's official website.

"I've played against him a couple of times this season, but it's hard to judge someone when you're playing against them so to train with him is really good. He's a great keeper and a good lad, and he's been in a few squads before."

Howes is rated highly at West Ham and made his debut for the London club's first team at at the age of 16 in July 2014.

It was only a pre-season friendly against Sydney FC in New Zealand, a match which the Hammers lost 3-1, but the youngster should still be lauded for that.

The teenager, who is actually a West Ham fan, came off the substitutes' bench for the final 15 minutes, and it is a testament to his quality that he could feature for the first team at such a tender age.

Now 17, Howes could go on and establish himself in the West Ham team in the coming years.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2015/03/24/fulhams-magnus-norman-on-west-ham-uniteds-sam-howes/?

WhiteJC

Former Arsenal star Paul Merson argues a point using ex-Leeds United attacker Ross McCormack, but there's a major flaw

Former Arsenal attacker Paul Merson chose former Leeds United and current Fulham attacker Ross McCormack to demonstrate that English players are expensive.

Paul Merson complained on the Sky Sports' Gillette Soccer Saturday show at the weekend that English players cost a lot of money, but he used a bad example to make his point.

The former Arsenal attacker was discussing the various footballing issues over the past week on Saturday, and among them was the matter of Premier League clubs signing foreign players.

Merson claimed that English footballers are too expensive, which is why many clubs hunt for players abroad, but the example he used to back his argument was Ross McCormack.

McCormack caused quite a stir in England in the summer of 2014 when he moved from Leeds United to Fulham.

According to BBC Sport, Fulham had to pay as much as £11 million for the services of the 28-year-old attacker - quite a lot of money when one considers that the transfer was between two Championship clubs.

However, the problem with Merson's argument in regard to McCormack is that the former Cardiff City star is a Scotland international.

"The problem is that English players cost so much money," the 47-year-old said on the Sky Sports' Gillette Soccer Saturday show. "They do...

"Someone said the other day: 'I can't buy English players because they are too expensive'. They are expensive. They are too expensive.

"McCormack to Fulham for £12m. Surely I can go abroad and get a 29-year-old international player who has scored 30 gaols for his county on a free and and give him 100 grand a week for two years. Surely they have got to be cheaper."

While Merson's argument is valid about English players costing more than many of their foreign counterparts, perhaps he should have chosen a better example than McCormack.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2015/03/24/former-arsenal-star-paul-merson-argues-a-point-using-ex-leeds-un/?