watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Danny Guthrie and Richard Lee join on loan

Started by Rhys Lightning 63, March 26, 2015, 05:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enclosurite

I will be gobsmacked if Betts is dropped.  Hopefully the new keeper has come in to act as nothing more than cover.
¡COYW!

Wearethewhites

Quote from: The Enclosurite on March 26, 2015, 06:51:10 PM
I will be gobsmacked if Betts is dropped.  Hopefully the new keeper has come in to act as nothing more than cover.

He will act nothing more than cover. Betts has almost completed a full season now, so he won't be dropped, and will be that much stronger come the next. My argument, is that Betts should not have been made to carry the burden this season, not at his age anyway, and an experienced Keeper brought in. However, it's happened now, and what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, so..

bobbo

Why have we got a keeper in loan at monaco - hope that's right - and then we loan one from elsewhere. Am I missing a point. I don't understand.
We have slipped to unbelievable levels, every week it's helping me make my mind up about getting a season ticket or not.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Riverside

Quote from: bobbo on March 26, 2015, 07:11:33 PM
Why have we got a keeper in loan at monaco - hope that's right - and then we loan one from elsewhere. Am I missing a point. I don't understand.
We have slipped to unbelievable levels, every week it's helping me make my mind up about getting a season ticket or not.

I think you will find the salary of Steks is substantially higher than Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobbo

Yep riverside I can accept that . We aren't exactly skint though.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

JDH101

No mention from anyone that we are now having to loan off Brentford? Just how far have we fallen?

FPT

I like Danny Guthrie - may not be the most Fulhamish footballer, but the fact is, he's good with the ball at his feet and he provides experience we only have in Parker in the middle. Lets not forget that Ryan Tunnicliffe is our second most experienced central midfielder, and he's pretty poor.

With Scotty Parker ageing, a player like Guthrie is ideal to maintain good guidance in the middle of the park. And as MJG says, it's risk free - if he does well for the final few games, he's there for a free transfer, if he doesn't then we can wave good bye and wish luck on future endeavours.

The Richard Lee loan is strange, I can only think that Gabor Kiraly has picked up a training ground injury?

YoungsBitter

I think that Lee is there to help Betts. He is probably looking for a goalkeeper coaching role later, he at least speaks English and will be more helpful to Betts than Kiraly could be. He is retiring because his shoulder is buggered, so am not expecting him to ever start a game.
Quark, strangeness and charm

Pluto

Quote from: Chesh on March 26, 2015, 06:13:05 PM
"I am retiring because I have peaked and don't have the confidence that I can now surpass that peak.
As a result, football to me now equates to frustration and often pain".

This is part of the blog Richard Lee used to announce his imminent retirement - are brentford taking the p*ss a week early?

fp.gif

Excellent. Just the kind of passion and drive we need in a relegation battle.

cmg

Quote from: YoungsBitter on March 26, 2015, 07:53:50 PM
I think that Lee is there to help Betts. He is probably looking for a goalkeeper coaching role later, he at least speaks English and will be more helpful to Betts than Kiraly could be. He is retiring because his shoulder is buggered, so am not expecting him to ever start a game.

This must surely be the case.
The poor bloke admits that his injuries have also led to loss of confidence.
Good luck to him. Hope he can be of benefit to our talented young keepers.

On which subject: Congratulations to Magnus Norman on a clean sheet on his debut for England u18 (beat Switzerland 1-0)

and also to Marek Rodak, in goal for Slovakia u19 in 1-1 draw with Germany

daib0

a friendly Reading fan here, as many of you know, but in this occasion I must sow seeds of doubt as to Guthrie. When he joined Reading it looked good; the player himself was talking of getting into the England squad. But it just hasn't happened - not only has his form gone down from Newcastle days, but dare I say there is arrogance well above his 'station'. If it works out for you I'd be delighted, and I don't deny that he has great talent at his very best,  but I fear that the desire to show that might no longer be there ...
A friendly Reading FC fan! Job: CELLO MAN - see extensive web www.johnstone-music.com

Apprentice to the Maestro

Quote from: Wearethewhites on March 26, 2015, 06:45:07 PM
Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on March 26, 2015, 06:33:48 PM
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on March 26, 2015, 05:39:47 PM
Whats the point of the goalie, unless Betts or Kiraly has picked up
an Injury..

According to some "Betts is nowhere near up to first team football at the moment . . .".

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?topic=46613.msg651872#msg651872"

Betts is, and will be a very good goalkeeper. However, like most of our youngsters, he was thrown in at the deep end, and has been played a little to much for my liking this season. Granted, more games can breed experience, but it can also damage confidence, which has been the case with young Marcus.

The quotes of "Betts is nowhere near up to first team football at the mo" isn't actually that far off, so I'm not quite sure why you're trying to mock other posters?

I am mocking the statement because it isn't true and the attempt to justify it failed with obvious inaccuracies.

Similarly, what evidence do you have to support the statement "but it can also damage confidence, which has been the case with young Marcus"? He seemed to be holding up against Huddersfield.

Nero

Quote from: cmg on March 26, 2015, 08:07:05 PM
Quote from: YoungsBitter on March 26, 2015, 07:53:50 PM

This must surely be the case.
The poor bloke admits that his injuries have also led to loss of confidence.
Good luck to him. Hope he can be of benefit to our talented young keepers.

shoulder buggered if he plays behind our back 4 he'll have a buggered back to go with it

cmg

This bloke Lee is an impressive character. He has a website on which he discusses various aspects of goalkeeping. He comes across as a thoughtful, intelligent and interesting personality. I don't know enough about goalkeeping to comment too deeply on his technical views, but it is unusual to find an active (just!) player with such well developed views and the facility to put them over.
He might well prove to b a very useful bloke to have around.

Wearethewhites

Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on March 26, 2015, 09:16:12 PM
an Injury..

According to some "Betts is nowhere near up to first team football at the moment . . .".

Betts is, and will be a very good goalkeeper. However, like most of our youngsters, he was thrown in at the deep end, and has been played a little to much for my liking this season. Granted, more games can breed experience, but it can also damage confidence, which has been the case with young Marcus.

The quotes of "Betts is nowhere near up to first team football at the mo" isn't actually that far off, so I'm not quite sure why you're trying to mock other posters?

I am mocking the statement because it isn't true and the attempt to justify it failed with obvious inaccuracies.

Similarly, what evidence do you have to support the statement "but it can also damage confidence, which has been the case with young Marcus"? He seemed to be holding up against Huddersfield.

I thought the post held up well against Huddersfield, Marcus saved a comfortable penalty and a couple of tame shots, but thats about it, nothing to rave about really?

In other games, I've seen Marcus throw balls in the back of net, completely kick balls off the park, and look so nervous that he won't come out and claim balls in his 6 yard area to take pressure off his defense.

However you look at it, and however many fancy words you try to use, the boy was thrown in at the deep end, he wasn't really ready, and in some games this season, he has looked as if his confidence has been shot to pieces.

FulhamStu

Quote from: Wearethewhites on March 26, 2015, 10:22:49 PM
an Injury..

I thought the post held up well against Huddersfield, Marcus saved a comfortable penalty and a couple of tame shots, but thats about it, nothing to rave about really?

In other games, I've seen Marcus throw balls in the back of net, completely kick balls off the park, and look so nervous that he won't come out and claim balls in his 6 yard area to take pressure off his defense.

However you look at it, and however many fancy words you try to use, the boy was thrown in at the deep end, he wasn't really ready, and in some games this season, he has looked as if his confidence has been shot to pieces.

Which is why he has been picked for England !!

dgnffc

Just been talking to a Geordie mate who, when I told him about us getting Guthrie, said "Good luck with that then. He doesn't like training much and likes a drink and played more games for our reserve team than he ever did for the first team. Glad to see the back of him when he went"

Doesn't really sound too inspiring!

Lighthouse

Look neither of these players will be with a club at the end of the season. One is retiring the other may be picked up by a lower league side. They are fillers and bench warmers and are not part of any great plan but to cover the players we have until the season ends.

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Wearethewhites

Quote from: FulhamStu on March 26, 2015, 10:26:56 PM
an Injury..

Which is why he has been picked for England !!

Zat Knight was also picked for England.

Apprentice to the Maestro

an Injury..

He is young, playing for a club that has been relegated, in a squad that has lost all but about three experienced players and in a side that has lost confidence yet he is holding up well, will arguably be our player of the season and has been selected for the England u21s.

Are you deliberately trolling?