watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Olympic GB Team abandoned

Started by BlackandWhiteFilm, March 30, 2015, 11:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackandWhiteFilm

Especially bad for the women's team. They deserve to participate in the Olympics at the very least

Typical small minded attitude from the SFA, FAW and IFA. Love watching England, but Olympics should be an occasion where we can play as a combined team without petty insecurities ruining the occasion.

If the rugby unions can get together once every 4 years for an entertaining tour then why can't the 4 football associations. Football exists to entertain us with sporting competition, not to maintain the associations petty empires and fat paycheques.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32125977

fulhamben

personally not fussed for this. it was the only event that i didnt watch at all. and i watched everything else. womans international events are pretty big nowadays so i doubt they will lose sleep over. in short when i think olympics the last thing i think of is football
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Bronaldinho

So will we be having a team for each nation instead?

@ABronsSmith

Author of 'The Craven Corner' blog - Hosted in the matchday programme, SB Nation & thecravencorner.wordpress.com

westcliff white

Quote from: Bronaldinho on March 31, 2015, 09:02:08 AM
So will we be having a team for each nation instead?

We cannot as we enter as Great Britain and not England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Like FulhamBen not overly fussed by this
Every day is a Fulham day

Berserker

Shame the women's team can't be involved even if the men's team  don't want to participate
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

westcliff white

Woolly I believe that is the exact reason we cannot enter a Team England so to speak. Personally for me it is all a load of tosh.
Every day is a Fulham day

epsomraver

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on March 31, 2015, 10:05:56 AM
We should just enter an England team, women and men's,  and let the others do what they like as it's not a United Kingdom, it's disunited, and I would rather it stayed that way. I would rather have an England team and support England. A Great Britain team means nothing to me, and I would never watch it. As I am English not British. We are all seperate nations and should stay that way.
:plus one: :plus one: :plus one:

Holders

This is just a reversion to the status quo. It was the London olympics that was the exception.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Lighthouse

The sooner we see the back of the Olympics the better. Along with the World Cup it has become a way of fleecing millions while profiteering a few. We can have International events without this stupid orgy of waste.   
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

epsomraver

:plus one:
Quote from: Lighthouse on March 31, 2015, 10:40:44 AM
The sooner we see the back of the Olympics the better. Along with the World Cup it has become a way of fleecing millions while profiteering a few. We can have International events without this stupid orgy of waste.   

snarks

The Olympics I'm in favour of, I like the idea that all of a sudden, Turkmenistan or Samoa, or any other country without millions in financial aid but with maybe only 1 very talented athlete can win a gold medal at something.

The world cup used to be a good tournament, but it's gone all formula 1, ie more important for what those in charge get out of it than actually supporting grass roots or the best teams playing football at the highest level.

Arthur

Quote from: Holders on March 31, 2015, 10:37:37 AM
This is just a reversion to the status quo. It was the London olympics that was the exception.

I'd never thought of it in these terms before, but you have indeed hit the nail on the head: while entering a British football team was desirable in the UK, there was clearly no intention of ever doing so on another continent.

Logicalman

It's all a load of tosh anyways, how on earth did we get to be 4 nations rolled into one and called Great Britain in these modern times anyways? We are four separate and distinct countries aren't we? I'm proudly from Fulham, London, England, United Kingdom, Europe in that very distinct order, and the first country I see in that order is England, not United Kingdom.

Rant over, I'm going back to my cardboard box now ....  :Get Coat gif:
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

alfie

Quote from: epsomraver on March 31, 2015, 10:29:05 AM
We should just enter an England team, women and men's,  and let the others do what they like as it's not a United Kingdom, it's disunited, and I would rather it stayed that way. I would rather have an England team and support England. A Great Britain team means nothing to me, and I would never watch it. As I am English not British. We are all seperate nations and should stay that way.

:plus one: from me as well

That is why I also object when England play and we have the National Anthem, that National Anthem is for Great Britain, the Scots/Welsh have their own so should we.

Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Holders

Quote from: alfie on March 31, 2015, 07:30:53 PM
We should just enter an England team, women and men's,  and let the others do what they like as it's not a United Kingdom, it's disunited, and I would rather it stayed that way. I would rather have an England team and support England. A Great Britain team means nothing to me, and I would never watch it. As I am English not British. We are all seperate nations and should stay that way.

That is why I also object when England play and we have the National Anthem, that National Anthem is for Great Britain, the Scots/Welsh have their own so should we.

The national anthem for the UK is, like it or not, GSTQ; the others are regional anthems (e.g N. Ireland's is dannyboi) but, as we've seen in the past, that's where the real argument begins where England is concerned.

epsomraver

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on April 01, 2015, 09:23:48 AM

Yes I fully agree with you there.

Logicalman

We should just enter an England team, women and men's,  and let the others do what they like as it's not a United Kingdom, it's disunited, and I would rather it stayed that way. I would rather have an England team and support England. A Great Britain team means nothing to me, and I would never watch it. As I am English not British. We are all seperate nations and should stay that way.

Uh-huh, and it should be Jerusalem  (start of disagreements on the horizon   :028: )
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Blanco

Couldn´t care less about team GB. Shouldn´t sing GSTQ.

Holders

Quote from: Logicalman on April 01, 2015, 05:58:55 PM

Uh-huh, and it should be Jerusalem  (start of disagreements on the horizon   :028: )

Yeah, and the Israeli one should be "London Bridge is Falling Down".

Logicalman

Quote from: Holders on April 01, 2015, 06:18:55 PM
Quote from: Logicalman on April 01, 2015, 05:58:55 PM

Uh-huh, and it should be Jerusalem  (start of disagreements on the horizon   :028: )

Yeah, and the Israeli one should be "London Bridge is Falling Down".

:005:  I like that - brill.

Then again, that bridge is now in  Arizona - so it could be falling down for all we know!!