watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

From the past

Started by CorkedHat, July 17, 2010, 12:30:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CorkedHat

I know that I am always crapping on about how harder football was to play in the old days. Heavy ball, more physical contact and where goalkeepers were not the protected species they are today.
I was reading an obituary today of Ken Barnes who used to play for Manchester City. I remember him in the '55 and '56 Cup Finals as though it happened yesterday but what captured my attention was the reference to Bert Trautmann, City's German goalkeeper, who had been a POW in Britain and decided to pursue a football career in England.
Was this bloke tough or what?

City lost the 1955 Cup final 3-1 to Newcastle United, who got off the mark quickly with a goal headed – most unusually – by their talismanic centre-forward, Jackie Milburn. But in 1956, in a dramatic game, City, playing elegant football, were much too good for Birmingham City.
In a match which has gone down in history as the Revie final, with the future Leeds United and England manager Don Revie pulling the strings as a deep-lying centre-forward, there was a potentially life-threatening incident near the end, when Manchester City's German goalkeeper, Bert Trautmann, dived at the feet of the onrushing Birmingham forward, Peter Murphy, grasped the ball, then collapsed, but played on after treatment.
It was later discovered that he had broken a bone in his neck. Manchester City won 3-1.
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

alfie

that is so true CH, now days keepers come flying out with fists and feet flying everywhere, they get a little nudge and they go down crying blue murder, how and why have we got to this state, and why oh why are ref's so easily conned nowdays, it must be because they have been instructed not to allow much contact, can you imagine the likes of chopper Harris being told he can only hand out flowers instead of tackles
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

finnster01

Very good point Mr Corkie. They do not make them like that anymore.

Further, the habit of a goalie jumping up with his knees sticking out like missiles is ignored by every ref (don't get me started on Howard Webb) in the country. They should be shown a yellow card, and second time off to an early shower.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Peabody

I seem to recall our own Ian Black breaking his arm and going and playing on the wing and did he not score?

WhiteJC

didn't Ian Pearce break his foot a couple of seasons ago?

CorkedHat

Quote from: Peabody on July 17, 2010, 12:42:36 PM
I seem to recall our own Ian Black breaking his arm and going and playing on the wing and did he not score?

I'm sure Mr Blingo will back me up here Mr P, but Tony Macedo sustained an injury and played a blinder on the wing.  I don't know that he scored though although if he didn't he came a bloody sight closer than Reg Stratton  :011:

blingo

Correct Mr CH but no goal im afraid. Played pretty well too, by all accounts.

Peabody

Quote from: WhiteJC on July 17, 2010, 12:46:49 PM
didn't Ian Pearce break his foot a couple of seasons ago?

He did and scored the equaliser against Pompey but he was an old-fashioned type player....I suppose you could say the same about Razer Ruddock

Peabody

Ithink that Ian Black is the only goalkeeper that has scored for us, up to now!

LBNo11

...Ian Black was the only Fulham goalkeeper to score from open play, he headed in a cross from Arthur Stevens - Tony Lange scored from a penalty mind...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

ron

The fact that goalkeepers (or "glovesmen" in the current journospeak) are now a protected species is the reason that I always bang on about Macedo being our greatest goalkeeper of all time. He was fearless amongst the flying feet in a era when, as was said, Trautmann played on with a broken neck after a vigorous challenge, and in a slightly earlier age (the '20's) John Thomson of Celtic died on the pitch after receiving a depressed skull fracture in an Old Firm match.

....but there I go again, banging on about Tony Macedo......being our greatest goalie........ever......

TonyGilroy

Quote from: CorkedHat on July 17, 2010, 12:54:10 PM

Tony Macedo sustained an injury and played a blinder on the wing. 

Best place for him in my opinion.

CorkedHat

Quote from: TonyGilroy on July 17, 2010, 01:14:53 PM
Quote from: CorkedHat on July 17, 2010, 12:54:10 PM

Tony Macedo sustained an injury and played a blinder on the wing. 

Best place for him in my opinion.

Oh dear!

Peabody

Tony was our best Tony! but not our bravest, that has to go to Ernie Beecham in the thirties who injured his spine but legend has it, he finished the game. The maddest has to have been Ken Hewkins

Lighthouse

Tony Macedo was a fine keeper. But not our best. It is almost impossible to compare like for like as the game is such a different animal nowadays. Macedo will always have a special place in a special team. But not out best.

Now Malcolm Webster on the other hand.

Only joshing. :doh:
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

CorkedHat

Of course he was our best. Even Blind Freddie could see that.
As for the bravest I would opt for Ian Seymour. Not even I saw effing Ernie Beecham :026:

Peabody

Neither did I but my Uncle used to rave about him.