News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Speculation and rumour....read this for some real football news.

Started by jarv, July 17, 2010, 06:37:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jarv

This week, in Massachusetts, an annual tournament is taking place...The USA VETERAN'S CUP. Teams compete, from all over the country in age brackets over 30, 40, 50, 55 and 60. My OVER 60 team combined with another from our league, selecting the better players. The format is world cup style, groups of 4 teams. Of course, we get a tough one, the GROUP of DEATH. Last year's winners (from Texas) and semi finalists (from california). The winners from each group go to the semis.

Day 1. The favourites, the Texas boys. Our manager, great bloke but a bit clueless starts with a back 4 containg defenders who cannot defend. About 30 minutes in we are 5-1 down. (Make no mistake, these Texas boys are great but...). They have an English chap in midfield who was just outstanding and a little brazilian, about 5' 0" who we just could not get near, he was fantastic to watch, which is what most of us were doing...watching him. Anyway, we switched things around, yours truly, at 5'6" in central defence (A. Hughes type of role) with 3 other good lads and we stopped the rot. Final score 6-1.

Day 2.  The California boys. At least we started with the correct line up. They were better than us but to everyone's disbelief (and the California boys displeasure) we finish the half 2-0 UP. We did not worry about it though, a horrendous 15 minutes in the 2nd half cost us 3 goals. The best goal was their winner. A tremendous strike from 30 yards, hits th underside of the bar and bounces up. Our keeper, lost his cap and instead of trying to focus on the ball decided to pick up his cap. Their centre forward, a good old Essex lad, nods the ball into an empty net. The air was BLUE. Final score, 3-2. To make matters worse, they were wearing the old 80's style GERMAN kit. You know the one with the funny zig zag bit across the chest.

Day 3. Wooden spoon game, 0-0. (about 90 fahrenheit).

It was a great event, talking with the Essex lad afterwards, it is quite possible we played against each other in London about 40 years ago.!!

Next year it is in San Diego, California. So, if any of you are on first name terms with les Barrett, Steve Earle, Alan Mullery etc. There could be a place for them on our team. They get to keep a nice T shirt as a prize and can brag about playing in a national cup competition.

The last time I played 2 games in 2 days was when I was about 28. We managed 3 in 3!! (at a slower pace though).

White Noise

That is incredible stuff Jarv -titfer is well and truly off to you and the boys.

I had been wondering what a man of your age was on about when you said earlier that you had just got in from your exhausting 3 day football tournament.

What now for your body! Fill the wheelie bin full of ice and water and plunge in? :001:

Tom

Quote from: jarv on July 17, 2010, 06:37:46 PM

Next year it is in San Diego, California. So, if any of you are on first name terms with les Barrett, Steve Earle, Alan Mullery etc. There could be a place for them on our team. They get to keep a nice T shirt as a prize and can brag about playing in a national cup competition.

That's great, I live in San Diego. Wonderful city, if you have never been, you will love it.
Fulham for life!

Ichabod Magoo

Quote from: jarv on July 17, 2010, 06:37:46 PM
The last time I played 2 games in 2 days was when I was about 28. We managed 3 in 3!! (at a slower pace though).

Maybe you should have moved the games to the Cape to save yourself a few buckets of sweat.   :59:
If your nose runs and your feet smell, you must have been born upside down. ~ Chudley Rippington III