watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Bettinelli, the good and the bad

Started by The Swan, April 26, 2015, 10:01:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Swan

I know that Bettinelli has saved us many times this season. Why did he decide to punch the ball away from one of their corners when we were leading 3-1 He could have caught the ball and set up McCormack who was waving his arms at him. His bad punch led to their second goal.
The Swan

cmg

Yes. It's called a 'mistake' or 'an error of judgement'.
Being human, goalkeepers make them from time to time. When they do it often leads to a goal for the opposition because of the vital nature of the goalkeeping position.
Younger keepers tend to make them slightly more often than older, more experienced ones. Although if they continue making them on a regular basis they tend to stop being goalkeepers at all.

If you are interested in really serious errors made by goalkeepers more experienced than Bettinelli, I refer you to those made by Courtois, Federici, Guzan or Hart in recent days.

God The Mechanic

Poor decision making is one of the things that young keepers have to get over.  That being said, it was a simple and uncontested catch and should have been an obvious decision for him to make.

westcliff white

I thought he had a portion of blame on all 3 goals, he has been great this year on the whole, but the first for me should have been saved, the second as you mention he should have caught and the third he was in no mans land. The third us maybe a little harsh but he should not have come off the line to far he was never going to get the cross

He is young and these things happen a sign of a decent keeper will be that he learns and eradicates the errors
Every day is a Fulham day

PaulJ123

He was arguably at fault for all their goals yesterday.

1st one he should've stopped, 2nd one he should've caught and 3rd was poor positioning for that header to go over him.

Keeper's will always make mistakes though and he is of course still learning. The brightest spark of our season and has been superb for the majority so don't take this as me criticising him. Do think he needs a better experienced keeper compared to Kiraly to help him develop

PaulJ123

Quote from: westcliff white on April 26, 2015, 10:13:50 PM
I thought he had a portion of blame on all 3 goals, he has been great this year on the whole, but the first for me should have been saved, the second as you mention he should have caught and the third he was in no mans land. The third us maybe a little harsh but he should not have come off the line to far he was never going to get the cross

He is young and these things happen a sign of a decent keeper will be that he learns and eradicates the errors

Haha basically said exactly the same as you, great minds..

leonffc

Quote from: cmg on April 26, 2015, 10:13:14 PM
Being human, goalkeepers make them from time to time. When they do it often leads to a goal for the opposition because of the vital nature of the goalkeeping position.
Younger keepers tend to make them slightly more often than older, more experienced ones. Although if they continue making them on a regular basis they tend to stop being goalkeepers at all.

If you are interested in really serious errors made by goalkeepers more experienced than Bettinelli, I refer you to those made by Courtois, Federici, Guzan or Hart in recent days.

+1

Why did he decide to dive a certain way on his many penalty saves this season? Split second reactions! Some you get right, some you balls up. That's football.
Why do outfield players try and play a first time ball rather than control it because they had more time? Decision making!! Something that gets better with experience!

LBNo11

Quote from: leonffc on April 26, 2015, 10:17:30 PM
Quote from: cmg on April 26, 2015, 10:13:14 PM

+1

Why did he decide to dive a certain way on his many penalty saves this season? Split second reactions! Some you get right, some you balls up. That's football.
Why do outfield players try and play a first time ball rather than control it because they had more time? Decision making!! Something that gets better with experience!

...what Leon said, goalkeepers make mistakes and it is memorable as it often leads to a goal, outfield players can make the same number, or more mistakes and are covered by their colleagues and the errors quickly forgotten...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

J

The good outweighs the bad... yes he isn't perfect but he would look loads better if he had a confident/experienced defence (and midfield doing there defensive job) in front of him. Case in point, that punch wouldn't have been so glaring if anyone had ran out to close down the man on the ball.

J

And the 3rd goal wasn't bad positioning, it was just a good header. If a keeper is on the line it gives players much more of an angle to shoot at, he was just playing the percentages.

J.Perkins

The trouble is, he is young, in the first team, with no competition. No one is fighting him for his spot. With another decent GK brought in, it will aid Betts in his development.

Wearethewhites

Marcus has the makings of becoming a really good goal keeper, but it's clear as day the lad lacks experience right now. I don't buy all this bad defense rubbish, it's partly to blame yes, but Marcus could take a lot of pressure off our defense by coming out to claim balls. It's not a coincidence that we concede from every set piece or corner, Marcus either remains routed to the spot, flaps or tries to punch which is part of his game he needs to improve.

Lighthouse

Several points here. First of all I was one of a few who said earlier in the season that he isn't a Championship winning keeper. At least not yet. He is a good shot stopper. He is appalling at commanding his area. This may be to do with the confusion in front of him. He may be a case of a player playing better when he has better players around him.

Yesterday he was at fault for all the goals. There is no doubt in my mind about that. He had an awful day. His positioning and his reactions were just off.

I still maintain he is a good shot stopper. But am still doubtful he is going to be anything more than that. However he still remains one of only three or four players throughout the season who we can be really pleased with.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Apprentice to the Maestro

Bettiinelli was only one of the contributors to the mistakes leading to the three goals.

For the first the midfield let the attacker run through, play a one-two and have a free shot on goal. For the second Rodallega was slow to chase down the ball punched out to nearly the touch line and hamper the cross and the central defender was on the wrong side of the attacker and failed to put in a challenge so the attacker had a free header. For the third it was another free header with no pressure from the defence.

Yes, Bettinelli might have done better for each goal but the other players around him left him exposed for each goal.

HatterDon

no keeper under the age of 28 or so can be a complete project. I thought he was at fault for the first two goals, but he'll learn from those mistakes and profit by them. He's a fine young prospect, but he's still under development.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Holders

Many keepers would have conceded the first goal, we've just come to expect Betts to save ones like that because he's been so good this season. As for the positioning and decision-making, that is one of the things that comes with experience and the reason why keepers normally play into their late 30s or even 40s.

I think we've unearthed a real diamond there and just puzzled why Felix initially played Joronen.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Lighthouse on April 26, 2015, 11:38:52 PM
Several points here. First of all I was one of a few who said earlier in the season that he isn't a Championship winning keeper. At least not yet. He is a good shot stopper. He is appalling at commanding his area. This may be to do with the confusion in front of him. He may be a case of a player playing better when he has better players around him.

Yesterday he was at fault for all the goals. There is no doubt in my mind about that. He had an awful day. His positioning and his reactions were just off.

I still maintain he is a good shot stopper. But am still doubtful he is going to be anything more than that. However he still remains one of only three or four players throughout the season who we can be really pleased with.

Dont be shocked but I totally agree about Betts, he was to blame
for all 3 goals, not the first time he has had a mare, but beeen papered over by
a couple of good saves..Still a great prospect though.
The one good thing was the Chelsea scout watching wouldnt have  recorded
a good report..

grandad

I can forgive his "mare" against Boro. He has stepped up to be our No. 1 & has performed heroics behind a dreadful defence. He has a lot to learn but am confident that he will become a top keeper. We just need a proper No. 2
Where there's a will there's a wife

gang

I agree he makes mistakes, the problem is when a keeper makes a mistake it nearly always ends in a goal, unlike an outfield player. Luckily for us Middlesboro's keeper made a big one at the end.

cmg

Quote from: Holders on April 27, 2015, 05:59:27 AM

I think we've unearthed a real diamond there and just puzzled why Felix initially played Joronen.

I'm not a betting man (actually, I am) but I would be prepared to have a fairly hefty wager that this was not the only thing that Felix did that puzzled you.  :doh: