watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

What is the difference between Al Fayed and Khan

Started by Andy S, April 27, 2015, 10:37:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy S

Al Fayed brought in the best managers he could in Keegan & Wilkins. Then Tigana. He tried a rookie in Paul Bracewell but got rid of him when it was clearly not working.
Al Fayed Signed a top keeper in Van der Sar even though we already had Maik Taylor, Who was more than adequate. He signed some very good players in John Collins, Louis Saha,  Lee Clark, Fernandes and Luis Boa Morte, Chris Coleman, Rufus Brevit and Steve Finnan.
I'm sure I have forgotten some and they were not signed in any particular order but there was a clear intent.

Ok you could say that Khan has done the same with McCormac, a very good signing but he now needs to  push the boat out a little further and make a statement of intent by getting in some well respected coaches and a sprinkling of top players. But will he?

jelmo

I doubt it. Probably one marquee signing to boost season ticket sales but I imagine we will cut corners again and try and do things on the cheap.

Roberty

You seem to have omitted that MAF did not have FFP to limit his spending?
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

westcliff white

Can only push the boat as far as FFP will allow us, but I think we will get a few good players this summer.
Every day is a Fulham day

Roberty

Quote from: jelmo on April 27, 2015, 10:42:43 AM
I doubt it. Probably one marquee signing to boost season ticket sales but I imagine we will cut corners again and try and do things on the cheap.

On the CHEAP - do you mean - within the FFP rules?

hovewhite

believe will not overspend to get on wrong side of FFP.

MJG

Although I wrote about the finances I do believe we have cleared the wages to a point where there is a decent war chest in place for the summer.
I'm sure we will sell one of the youngsters to recycle that money back into the transfer budget.
A Net spend in the region of £10M should be within our reach.

Alexis

What has Khan done?
-Bring a certain Greek who scored in the Champions league for fun
-Appointment of one of the most respected coach in the country in Rene
-Mike Rigg. The FA's official talent scout. (How did we pull that of?)
-Bringing in a manager with experience in saving clubs from relegation AND winning league titles. Granted, he was a nut job but his CV was probably the most impressive to appear in Fulham's history in many years.
-Curbishley and Wilkins. Again, on paper, this shouldn't really have been a terrible choice but stuff happen haha.

Basically, the,effort was there from Khan but mismanagement by Ali Mac and lack of investment from chairman Mo didn't really help. Luck hasn't been on our side the last year or so too.
Fulham 来了!

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on April 27, 2015, 12:02:19 PM
A huge Moustache for starters.

Secondly, one new his way to the ground blind folded. The other needs a compass. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

dannyboi-ffc

I think the biggest difference between the two is not their ambition or generosity with budgets. Khan to his credit does spend money.

But for me the biggest difference is something money cant buy. Al Fayed didnt depend on others to make the big decisions because he was incompetent. Khan isnt capable of independently deciding whats best and his staff have really let him down. Until Khan appoints the right helper (hopefully Rigg) we will always be going round in circles. Al Fayed rectified mistakes quickly and very rarely got them wrong.

I dont think there have been many chairman as clued up as Mo and it will be hard for Khan to live up to our expectations.
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

The Old Count

As much as I'm grateful to MAF and appreciate everything he did for the club. He did start the decline by lack of investment because he was so keen to get his 200 million back (Did he really need another couple of hundred mil?).

It remains to be seen what Khan will do.  He was bolted up a bit with the purchase and has made inevitable mistakes but he appears keen to get us back into the Prem.

Lighthouse

Let's be honest. Besides the freedom and desire to spend lots of money in the beginning. The difference is really the advice. Neither Al or Khan knew anything about football. But clearly those advising Al were better than those advising Khan.

Plus Al could only progress. Khan had to stand still to be successful. Failed miserably.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Twig

Quote from: Alexis on April 27, 2015, 11:59:37 AM
What has Khan done?
-Bring a certain Greek who scored in the Champions league for fun - never fit from day 1.  Diven the situation we were in a crazy gamble.
-Appointment of one of the most respected coach in the country in Rene - a coach not a manager.  No experience in that role.  Then dumped him before he had 5 minutes in the job.
-Mike Rigg. The FA's official talent scout. (How did we pull that off?) - let's wait and see but this does seem to have been a good hire.
-Bringing in a manager with experience in saving clubs from relegation AND winning league titles. Granted, he was a nut job but his CV was probably the most impressive to appear in Fulham's history in many years. - No experience of English football, especially of the Championship. Outdated methods and a nut job as you said. 
-Curbishley and Wilkins. Again, on paper, this shouldn't really have been a terrible choice but stuff happen haha.  Wilkins was a disaster last time when MAF tried him so why on earth did we repeat?

Basically, the,effort was there from Khan but mismanagement by Ali Mac and lack of investment from chairman Mo didn't really help. Luck hasn't been on our side the last year or so too.

Twig

Another difference is that MAF was a fervent supporter and very active attendee.  Khan never shows.

jelmo

Quote from: Roberty on April 27, 2015, 10:53:48 AM

No... I mean "on the cheap". Not really sure where your confusion came from.

But to help explain a bit further... I meant purchase a marquee player (Eg - McCormack) then pad the squad out with:

Loanees (Eg - Staf, Guthrie, Turner, Husband, Richards)
Free transfers - (Hoogland, Mark Fotheringham, Chihi, Gabor Kiraly... )
Cheap transfers of average players (Voser, Huthinson, Eisfeld, Bodurov)
Youngsters in our youth team (Roberts, Williams, Hyndman, Kavanagh)

Not saying that all the players in this list are bad as some have worked out quite nicely... But I dont think that it can be argued that we didnt do things on the cheap this season... Not when The list above includes the names of Fotheringham and Kiraly!!!!!!

Youngsters who werent quite ready for the step up (

jelmo

Oh, forgot about the manager being a cheap option too.

Roberty

Quote from: jelmo on April 27, 2015, 01:52:27 PM
Oh, forgot about the manager being a cheap option too.

The facts will not be known until the accounts are published but you seem to be saying that we underspent the sum allowed by FFP rules.

If that does prove to be the case it could quite rightly be seen as "on the cheap"

The main restriction from FFP is not transfer fees - we could just sell off the family silver to raise funds - but the operating costs and the effect that players and management wages have on that.

Quite sensibly Hull seem to have a clause in all contracts to impose a 40% or 50% reduction in the event of relegation from the PL but I some what doubt that any one saw it as necessary for us to be doing anything so sensible. I also doubt that many of the players we ended up with last season would have signed a contract if that was going to be the case.

So with some more high earners leaving at the end of this season it might be possible for the club to deploy it's transfer firepower to greater effect during this closed season.

God The Mechanic

Quote from: jelmo on April 27, 2015, 01:51:13 PM
Quote from: Roberty on April 27, 2015, 10:53:48 AM

No... I mean "on the cheap". Not really sure where your confusion came from.

But to help explain a bit further... I meant purchase a marquee player (Eg - McCormack) then pad the squad out with:

Loanees (Eg - Staf, Guthrie, Turner, Husband, Richards)
Free transfers - (Hoogland, Mark Fotheringham, Chihi, Gabor Kiraly... )
Cheap transfers of average players (Voser, Huthinson, Eisfeld, Bodurov)
Youngsters in our youth team (Roberts, Williams, Hyndman, Kavanagh)

Not saying that all the players in this list are bad as some have worked out quite nicely... But I dont think that it can be argued that we didnt do things on the cheap this season... Not when The list above includes the names of Fotheringham and Kiraly!!!!!!

Youngsters who werent quite ready for the step up (

That sounds absolutely like how MAF was running things in the last few years of his reign.

Marquee signings in Ruiz and Berba with a whole lot of average fluff in between...

Richardson, Senderos, Reither, Petric, Hugo, Manolev, Frimpong, Tavares, Somogyi, Riise, Gecov, Sa, Grygera, Riise II, Halliche, Sidwell,

This isn't anything new.  We just had a solid backbone from the Roy years which had held us together for a bit.  Only it got weaker and weaker, and older and older.

nose

MAF had an emotional requirement to succeed, He was desparate to do well... he only eased up when the supporters decided they did not want to leave craven cottage, i recall him saying the fulhham fans loved the ground at craven cottage more than success on the field and from that moment his investment backed off.....    we are limited to what can be donme by the size of the ground and the ability to raise income from match day... that is why liverpool, and spurs are so keen to get bigger stadiums...

khan, i have no idea what his objectives are... i suspect he has a far too american outlook on sports and see the club as a franchise rather than a living entity.....  he also never shows up which is so bad for us. i know some people disagree with me on this point but if you are the leader it is a very good idea to be visible and present.

alfie

Quote from: nose on April 27, 2015, 02:49:33 PM
MAF had an emotional requirement to succeed, He was desparate to do well... he only eased up when the supporters decided they did not want to leave craven cottage, i recall him saying the fulhham fans loved the ground at craven cottage more than success on the field and from that moment his investment backed off.....    we are limited to what can be donme by the size of the ground and the ability to raise income from match day... that is why liverpool, and spurs are so keen to get bigger stadiums...

khan, i have no idea what his objectives are... i suspect he has a far too american outlook on sports and see the club as a franchise rather than a living entity.....  he also never shows up which is so bad for us. i know some people disagree with me on this point but if you are the leader it is a very good idea to be visible and present.

Mr Nose the Chairman of Bournemouth never turns up either he is more elusive that Khan, I can see how that has done them a lot of harm.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't