News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Was Karanka right to go for 3 points and glory - brave or foolish?

Started by copthornemike, April 27, 2015, 09:55:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

copthornemike

Brave decision by Karanka to go for all three points for  Boro on Saturday. 2-0 down made three substitutions, made it to 3-3. Then lost it all by the decision to push forward for a fourth winning goal.

With Bournemouth winning at home tonight (not a great surprise) Boro have now lost all possibility of gaining automatic promotion.

But if Bournemouth draw or win on Saturday a draw would not have been enough and Karanka has demonstrated with his actions he has a winning, never give up attitude which might make the difference in the play offs.

A brave or foolish decision then on Saturday?

HV71

For me it was brave - and to be admired. Too often people just go for the safe option. The cynics will argue the opposite but I know which I would prefer.

..Kya.ffc..

If it had payed off he would have been a genius. Risk well taken I reckon.
Beers may have been involved in this post.

westcliff white

Every day is a Fulham day

nose

inthought as i saw the goalkeeper went forward it was one of the daftest descions i had ever seen on a football flield.

he had 1 point, he risked that... percentages say the chances of scoring at a corner are so very remote... and with only 10 men the chance of a break was always likely..... 1 point pit pressure on bournemouth.... after that there was prescious little.... if kit would have done the same the boiard would be in meltdown

Lighthouse

Quote from: nose on April 27, 2015, 10:54:32 PM
inthought as i saw the goalkeeper went forward it was one of the daftest descions i had ever seen on a football flield.

he had 1 point, he risked that... percentages say the chances of scoring at a corner are so very remote... and with only 10 men the chance of a break was always likely..... 1 point pit pressure on bournemouth.... after that there was prescious little.... if kit would have done the same the boiard would be in meltdown

Have to agree. I can just imagine how our fans would be supporting the brave decision had Symons done the same thing. I don't think.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Nero

foolish decision, a corner against the worse defenders of them in the league could have kept 5 back and still had a chance of scoring

PaulJ123

Stupid. How often does a keeper going up actually make a difference?

More likely that we would score as we did, than the keeper nodding home.

Definitely wasn't worth the risk, but fair play to Karanka for having the balls to do it.

Berserker

If they were losing it would have been a good decision, seeing it was a draw it was a stupid thing to do
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Wasn't there a goalie called Glass who went up for a corner, virtually the last kick of the game and scored.
I also think that goal kept them up or even in the league, not sure which ?
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

tommy

They had to go for it as a point wasn't enough to keep them in the top 2 anyway. His gamble didn't pay off but it was the right decision to make. We where defending so badly at that point that chances are the keeper being up there would have caused enough indecision to give them the win. Luckily for us it didn't work and Ross done them over. I love football......

Sometimes

Woolly Mammoth

Yes his name was Jimmy Glass he scored at Carlisle, is a folk hero. He came and played a season for my Sunday team. I signed him as centre forward as I already had a very good keeper, and Jimmy was a very capable centre forward. He was a real Character. But then so were all the other team mates.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on April 28, 2015, 12:03:08 AM
Yes his name was Jimmy Glass he scored at Carlisle, is a folk hero. He came and played a season for my Sunday team. I signed him as centre forward as I already had a very good keeper, and Jimmy was a very capable centre forward. He was a real Character. But then so were all the other team mates.

It's all coming back to me now. Jimmy Glass scored last minute goal from a corner to keep Carlisle from relegation.  I believe he is a Goalkeeping coach at Poole Town now.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

YankeeJim

To frame it a bit differently, if Kit sent our keeper forward and it happened in the same manner, would it be good or bad tactics or would he blasted in the weekly litany?   
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

St Eve

Andy S

Poor decision at this level in my opinion unless you are willing to pull a man down to prevent him getting past you in the last minute

Max Headroom

leonffc

Chatting to some of their fans afterwards, they were bemused as a point kept them in the race at that point as far as they were concerned.

Ross looked pretty bemused too. He was looking around thinking 'there must be someone to mark me?!' And then shrugged and strolled to to half way line. I said to my mate straight away that he'd nab the winner with the right ball. As it happens, the ball out to him was a bit short and he got a bit lucky with the defenders 'tackle' but he did well in the end. Alls well that ends well :)

rweller86

@rweller

grandad

Where there's a will there's a wife