watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - So, any of you keen

Started by H4usuallysitting, May 27, 2015, 11:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H4usuallysitting

anglers - if so what's your spot and preferred method of fishing, and do you target a certain species???

Forever Fulham

When we go back to Traverse City, Michigan area, I go fishing for whitefish, walleye, and (in Grand Traverse Bay) king salmon.  Couple of months ago, a buddy of mine took me fishing in the bay flats off south Texas, near Port Aransas (near Corpus Christi).  He had bought a used Boston Whaler, a real work horse of the New England boat community, and wanted to show it off.  It doesn't draft deep, so we got into some nice beds and caught sheepshead.  They put up a real fight for their size.  Beautiful vertical striping.  It even obscures their eyes, which I found quite remarkable.  I had to leave early. But he went back out and caught a 25 pound black drum.  I was green with envy as I drove the 5+ hours back to north Texas.  I love fishing.  I just never get the time any more it seems.  Apparently, Millenials and Generation X and Y-ers don't fish, so says the state Department of Natural Resources.  Too busy playing with their iPhones, the Internet, their iPods, their electronic gizmos, plus TVs now have a billion channels with which to amuse oneself.  The numbers have fallen so off the table, that the state no longer charges an annual fee for young anglers up to, I think, 16 or 18 years old.  They are trying everything they can think of to get young people interested in fishing.  But it's become stigmatized as an old fashioned activity.  And that's such a shame.  I took my son and daughter fishing when they were little, and they love it to this day.  It isn't really about catching a lot of fish, though, is it?  It's the experience, the wonder, the quiet, the wind, the senses.  The time of day.  The sounds around you.  Peaceful.  When I retire, I want to be near water.  I hope I can fish in salt water.  It's the incredible variety of what could be on your line--something that fresh water fishing can't match.

Forever Fulham

OK, so I found the photo of a nice sheepshead I caught earlier this year (it's a beauty!), and naturally I want to paste it here.  But I can't figure out how.  Help.  I hit the "Copy" tab under File, then I dragged my cursor to this space and tried to right click "Paste", but nothing happened.  Then I saved the photo as a file on my desktop, copied it, and unsuccessfully tried to paste it here.  Help.  I've run out of ideas.  Why's it so damn hard to paste a jpg?  All you smarty pants tech whizzes, how do I do it?

HatterDon

Quote from: Forever Fulham on May 28, 2015, 03:22:12 AM
When we go back to Traverse City, Michigan area, I go fishing for whitefish, walleye, and (in Grand Traverse Bay) king salmon.  Couple of months ago, a buddy of mine took me fishing in the bay flats off south Texas, near Port Aransas (near Corpus Christi).  He had bought a used Boston Whaler, a real work horse of the New England boat community, and wanted to show it off.  It doesn't draft deep, so we got into some nice beds and caught sheepshead.  They put up a real fight for their size.  Beautiful vertical striping.  It even obscures their eyes, which I found quite remarkable.  I had to leave early. But he went back out and caught a 25 pound black drum.  I was green with envy as I drove the 5+ hours back to north Texas.  I love fishing.  I just never get the time any more it seems.  Apparently, Millenials and Generation X and Y-ers don't fish, so says the state Department of Natural Resources.  Too busy playing with their iPhones, the Internet, their iPods, their electronic gizmos, plus TVs now have a billion channels with which to amuse oneself.  The numbers have fallen so off the table, that the state no longer charges an annual fee for young anglers up to, I think, 16 or 18 years old.  They are trying everything they can think of to get young people interested in fishing.  But it's become stigmatized as an old fashioned activity.  And that's such a shame.  I took my son and daughter fishing when they were little, and they love it to this day.  It isn't really about catching a lot of fish, though, is it?  It's the experience, the wonder, the quiet, the wind, the senses.  The time of day.  The sounds around you.  Peaceful.  When I retire, I want to be near water.  I hope I can fish in salt water.  It's the incredible variety of what could be on your line--something that fresh water fishing can't match.

That's the key, isn't it? The times my father woke me up at 0500 to go out fishing with him are among the most sacred in my life. Fishing, playing catch, these things are generational. I worry that many parents today don't do what you did and my father did.

Jeez, I'm old.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Forever Fulham

These things connect all of us, HD.  I took my children fishing because my father had taken me fishing.  You are so right.  He woke us up in the dark hours before dawn.  We climbed into the back of, what was it, a Corvair ("unsafe at any speed" said Mr. Nader in his book, remember?) and headed for the highway.  We were going to a reservoir in the middle of nowhere, 30 miles from home.  Along the way, he stopped at a doughnut shop he spotted and bought a couple dozen-- glazed.  Ahh, how the smell filled that little car.  The white paper bag getting slightly damp from the still-hot doughnuts.  He had the car all packed with rods and tackle boxes probably from the night before.  What a mystery--the tackle box--to a kid.  The bobbers, the lead weights, the pliers, the filet knife in its leather sheath.  The crank bait and purchased artificial flies.  He even had a container of some kind of fish roe.  Beyond cool.  We got in this big rented rowboat, some minnows from the tackle shop, and of course talked too much, too loudly.  "You're scaring away all of the fish, " he'd whisper.  And we were captivated by the whispering.  Oh, this is serious.  But the first nibble, that little tug on the line, and you pull up to find the worm all but completely stripped from the hook.  And you, too, become hooked.  What fun.  You reset the worm, which becomes a matter of much discussion.  And you laugh at your sister's reluctance to impale the worm, which your middle brother refers to as "Hermie the Wormie." And then that bobber starts to move.  Oh, yeah!  I don't want to come off as a nutty sentimentalist, but those were wonderful family memories.   And in this jaundiced and cynical world, you push back as a parent, and try to recapture wholesome family fun for your children of a kind that you experienced growing up.  Like playing board games on a rainy day at the kitchen table.  And it reconnects me to my long-dead father.  Fishing.

Forever Fulham

Irish keening perhaps, as if at an old fashioned wake.  He must know the bell has finally tolled, and the reckoning is coming.  Lieutenants will turn over and give up majors or captains, who in turn will cut deals with the prosecution to lessen their sentences by giving up the colonels, until, finally, a private secretary opens the outer door and overhears a quiet steady voice explain, "Mr. Blatter, you need to come with us."  What a day that will be.  If Chuck Blazer really wore a wire for the feds for years, just imagine what they have recorded.  The fish rots from the head down.  Line on!  I think it's the spotted grey blatter.  Catch and release no more.  This one's a keeper.

Berserker

I used to love going fishing with my uncle Charlie when I was a child. He lived in Clacton and took me out sea fishing on his boat, also fresh water fishing at gravel pits.
I've never done it as a adult.
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

H4usuallysitting

I've fished the Thames all my life, and seen the River change over the years...as a kid we used to poach with a hand line many places including Bishops Park, King Georges Park and Wimbledon Park.....never really got into Sea Fishing, but have also fished in Ireland, Australia, Gambia and Thailand.it's not about the catch, more about the day out and surrounding wildlife.... Now spend days fishing in and around Sussex

cottage expat

Your evocative descriptions, Forever Fulham, are brilliant and make me want to grab my rods and tackle box and head out. I was a keen bass fisherman but haven't been fishing for years now.