News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Poll- Which is bigger- Olympics or World Cup?

Started by dannyboi-ffc, June 29, 2015, 08:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is bigger- Olympics or World Cup

Olympics
17 (34%)
World Cup
33 (66%)

Total Members Voted: 50

dannyboi-ffc

It is a question that sparked an interesting debate at Nan's house on Sunday as we sat down for Sunday Lunch. It started off talking about how brilliant the ladies are doing in the World Cup and somehow ended up with an intense debate where I was tempted to throw a yorkshire at my Brother in laws head (massive fulham fan too) but I couldnt.....why?....because I love a yorkshire pudd and couldnt bare the idea of wasting it.

Anyway me sister gets involved and backs him up, me dad backs me up and all of a sudden I am actually gobsmacked anyone would think differently to me. I thought it was a no brainer but I think its actually a tougher question then I first thought.

I was adamant it was the World Cup and by that I mean the mens and the Finals, so not including qualifiers.

Am I right or am I right?  :54:
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Mhbruce

Well your asking a football fan forum so your going to get a biased answer, despite that I would say that the result of the World Cup is a bigger deal whereas who really cares about the result of the Olympics

HillingdonFFC

World cup far bigger. Football finance expert from Deollites on the radio talking about the FIFA scandal said sponsorship of the World cup, tv figures etc far exceed that of the Olympics, surprised me a little

Sgt Fulham

World cup without a doubt for me. Its a chance to see who the best team in the world is on the most competitive stage there is.

fcfulham55

Who cares about an egg and spoon race, spear throwing and rock slinging.

You're definitely right, just show them viewing figures of the world cup. Particularly the knockout games to the final.
Sent from my Nokia 3310

Rhys Lightning 63

I've gotta go for The Olympics here I'm afraid. Mainly because of the viewing audience.

The World Cup is just for football fans, but in The Olympics, there is something for everyone.

Take 2012. At any time of day, you could flick on the TV and go 'ooh fencing, I'll tune in for some of that' or 'ooh wrestling' or 'ooh water polo'. With the World Cup, it's just one sport
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

ffc73

Olympics for the wider audience appeal and diversity of sporting endeavour

fulhamben

Quote from: Riether Lightning 63 on June 29, 2015, 08:54:33 PM
I've gotta go for The Olympics here I'm afraid. Mainly because of the viewing audience.

The World Cup is just for football fans, but in The Olympics, there is something for everyone.

Take 2012. At any time of day, you could flick on the TV and go 'ooh fencing, I'll tune in for some of that' or 'ooh wrestling' or 'ooh water polo'. With the World Cup, it's just one sport
not that fast walking though. thats neither a sport or something anyone likes to watch, infact its painful to watch. but the rest i agree
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Vienna1

For me the World Cup simply because I am a Football fan and not that much interested in many Olympic disciplines.

Peabody

For me it's the Olympics,, at least they haven't got Bllatters greedy hands on them, though drug use could ruin the Games

Ordar

Globally it surely has to be the Olympics.

Personally I went to Super Sunday in London 2012 and was in São Paulo to watch England lose to Uruguay in Brazil. The atmosphere over the whole Olympic Games was far better than the World Cup from my experience.

I'm probably biased though as I don't actually care about International football

HatterDon

I have no time for the flag waving and pumped up nationalism of the Olympics. I'd rather they just have a good old fashioned international track and field event. Gymnastics? Shooting? I ask you. And the winter olympics is even worse.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

mikestrand

We really need the tv viewing stats from around the world to make a reasoned Judgement.

Berserker

I like both and really can't chose one over the other. I like all the other events   apart from the track etc. Also especially enjoy the winter Olympics
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

fulhamben

and also the olympics has the best athletes from around the world. the wc due to how qualifying works, does not have the best football teams from around the world in it.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

RaySmith

the Olympics also covers most sports, and the WC only football, and popular mainly only with  football fans.

Nero

got to say the Olympics you can turn it on at anypoint and there something going on and some excitement, world cup half th games are as boring as hell

westcliff white

World Cup for me, I find nothing interesting to watch at the Olympics at all, some sports that are there should not be (such as football, handball, Tennis and I believe Golf will be there soon).
Every day is a Fulham day

Twig

One sport vs sports from so many disciplines.  The Olympics is a chance to see world records shattered and human achievement in everything from explosive sprinting to incredible endurance, from balance and sheer courage (anyone ever stood on an Olympic high diving board?) to pain and and endeavour e.g. in the longer rowing distances.

Much as I love the world cup footy fest, I have to give it to the Olympics and the vast army of men and women from so many disciplines from all over the world, including even the tiniest countries, often with not even a prayer of winning but determined to give it their best shot.

Logicalman

Is there such a comparison though?

By what yardstick can you use? TV Audience? Income from Advertising? Sponsorship? Countries involved? Countries involved from the start of each 'campaign'?

You might have guessed that my answer would be a big Dunno, because there are no obvious parameters to go by.

Oh, and you'll need a 'neither' in the possible answers as well then!!   093.gif
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.