News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

If the England Women's Football team go on to win the World cup.....

Started by mikestrand, June 29, 2015, 08:16:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikestrand

If the England Women's Football team go on to win the World cup will it be this country's greatest sporting achievement since 1966?
Based on the fact Football is the worlds most popular sport I think it would be.

Blanco

It doesn't feel like it should be but I think it would have to be. I can't think of much else that England have achieved. The Rugby world cup in 2003 but in terms of football no.

J.Perkins

Quote from: mikestrand on June 29, 2015, 08:16:48 PM
If the England Women's Football team go on to win the World cup will it be this country's greatest sporting achievement since 1966?
Based on the fact Football is the worlds most popular sport I think it would be.

Sporting achievement, no. The last Olympics were a very successful time for GB. Football wise, maybe. The WC Semi in 90 is about par with the women's.

Rhys Lightning 63

The Ashes of 2005 must rank up there. As would the 3-1 win down under in 10/11
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

mikestrand

Quote from: Riether Lightning 63 on June 29, 2015, 08:50:27 PM
The Ashes of 2005 must rank up there. As would the 3-1 win down under in 10/11
I Can't believe your'e comparing our annual little dust up with the aussies to a global tournament that involved 134 different countries.
Always nice to get one over the aussies though  :54:

Forever Fulham

Well, they're on a roll.  Don't jinx them.  I would love to see the U.S. play England in the Final.  But I fear the U.S. will have its hands full with Germany, as England will as well with Japan.  I like some of the English players a lot.  They have guts.  They take the shot.  They run at goal from midfield and dare you to stop their run with the ball.  Japan will be all flicks and short passes and back heels and trying to get a defender to leave a mark alone for a second or two and then pay the price. 

JDH101

Not for me. Winning the rugby WC, the 2005 Ashes, Nick Faldo coming back to beat Greg Norman in the Masters, Euro 96, Lennox Lewis being heavyweight champion of the world, Italy 90. All up there without really having to think about it. I am sure there are a lot more.

Fulhamerica23

Out of all the teams left, I've found England to have played the best football at the tournament. Really thought France was a notch above everyone else. Unfortunate draw, and just sheer missing sitters kept them out.

FPT

In football alone, it's something you've got to consider for sure.

In sports in general? Super Saturday was amazing, where Jessica Ennis, Mo Farah and Greg Rutherford all won gold medals in what must have been in the space of an hour. The Olympics being in London was one of those 'once in a lifetime' events, Paris hasn't seen the Olympics since 1924, and they're bidding for 2024 so at least 100 years. Not only did we live in a generation of witnessing the Olympics in London, but we witnessed three British athletes succeed more or less consecutively in our Olympic Stadium.

The Rugby World Cup in 2003 was insane also. Johnny Wilkinson's drop-goal in the final minute to win it was inspiring. Lewis Hamilton (at the time) becoming the Youngest Formula One Drivers champion was another great moment in this countries history.

Do you mean national competition specifically? If not, you've got to consider Manchester United's treble with a team containing academy products Ryan Giggs, the Neville's, David Beckham, Paul Scholes and Nicky Butt. That's not just a fantastic moment for Manchester United, but England as a whole.

There's been some good moments, but sporting since 1966? That'd take a lot of consideration, and I don't think the womens side would top my list, but in my top 10 at least.

HatterDon

[to complete the sentence on the subject line]

... there'll still be people on here who greet that success by saying that it's just a step above park football and they couldn't give a toss.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Lighthouse

It is already a wonderful achievement. It will be the biggest sporting achievement to win it because they were such outsiders. But just to go to the semi finals is wonderful.

So tomorrow night the Country should enjoy the occasion.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

westcliff white

For me not at all, Wining the ashes back in 2005, then winning them in Australia, I am no olympics fan but the achievements there of our Athletes was exceptional, As someone mentioned Faldo's comeback at the masters, I would not go with Lennox Lewis but Bruno finally becoming world champion, there have been a few maybe even the scottish guy winning the tennis tournament or two.
Every day is a Fulham day

bill taylors apprentice

Don't worry everyone, it ain't going to happen !!!

Wiggins winning the Tour  would beat it for me anyway.

Lighthouse

How we giggle when the USA talk about World Series. Yet we talk about The Ashes as the biggest sporting achievement? Jeez do me a favour.

westcliff white

I understand your point lighthouse but I think the difference is that the world series is only between american teams where as the ashes is held between two countries. Cant be a world champion if your the only nation taking part can you?

As for Wiggins Bill Taylor I agree that was a truly memorable event for me as well, ashamed i didnt mention it.
Every day is a Fulham day

jarv

Murray winning Wimbledon wasn't too shabby either. I don't think they will win the semi, their opponents are a lot more skillful but you never know and I for one, have my armchair booked.

Lighthouse

Let's just all agree that it would be a major success. For those that love a sport then success in that sport is probably going to stand out. Be it in cycling, cricket, football, rugby, tennis.

Blanco

Even if the girls did win it I don't think it would necessarily be a big talking point between english football fans. It would definitely be a big step for womens football in England though. I for one would congratulate them but I couldn't care less if they won or lost. How is Andy Murray winning Wimbledon a big sporting deal for the English? I couldn't stand it when he won.

Lighthouse

Quote from: Blanco on June 30, 2015, 03:15:43 PM
Even if the girls did win it I don't think it would necessarily be a big talking point between english football fans. It would definitely be a big step for womens football in England though. I for one would congratulate them but I couldn't care less if they won or lost. How is Andy Murray winning Wimbledon a big sporting deal for the English? I couldn't stand it when he won.

Because the English are not small minded like the other nations in Britain and as the first male Brit to win it for decades it was a big deal. Same as Wade winning the Womens in the 70s. People who are little Englanders will I guess always be unhappy. After all Britain is full of people who are not English yet represent Britain. Do we ignore all those and just support English players?

Blanco

Yes.

We have no choice in the olympics because we compete as team GB and I'm not gonna disregard the none English athletes if they win a gold but in terms of a scottsman or welshman winning a competition I don't feel any emotion for it. Would you cheer on Scotland or Wales in the Euros? Maybe you would. Not me. Depending on who they are facing sometimes. But for example if it were Scotland against Germany I couldn't care less who won. I'd actually enjoy watching Germany win because of how good they are.