more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

STEVE WIGLEY IS BACK!!!

Started by Rhys Lightning 63, June 30, 2015, 02:41:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhys Lightning 63

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/june/30/wigley-returns

Good news. Hopefully, we can get the youth teams alive and kicking again, like they were a few years ago
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

MJG

Didn't think we would go back after the way he left, but he is one of the best in the field at that age group, so hopefully he knows he's best here doing that job.

westcliff white

Agree with MJG didnt think we would go back to him, pleased we have and hope he has made a firm commitment to us now.
Every day is a Fulham day

elgreenio

always preferred his under 18 teams to the likes of Kits', they had more steel about them. Our somewhat golden generation has already passed through though, be interesting to see if he can get the fire going again (I strongly doubt it)
touch my camera through the fence

General

Could prove to be the signing of the year for us.

Jack Fulham

Is Peter Grant still the U21 coach?

dannyboi-ffc

Great news but I echo MJG's post.
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Craven Mad

Pleased about this. Hopefully he can help get the juniors back on track.

Fernhurst

Quote from: General on June 30, 2015, 02:59:44 PM

Hear, hear ...... Welcome back Steve

Sent from my garden using one finger...
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Holders

Quote from: Fernhurst on June 30, 2015, 03:24:53 PM

Green?
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Fernhurst

Quote from: Holders on June 30, 2015, 03:32:36 PM
Quote from: Fernhurst on June 30, 2015, 03:24:53 PM

Green?

Index!!
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

bog

FPT

This was excellent news. We've got a really strong crop of Under 16s, and I'd be half tempted to bet that we'd win the U18 Premier League again within three years.

Riverside

Shows great maturity from the club to bring Wigley back . It certainly feels like we are rebuilding this summer . Whereas last year we were being pulled apart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MasterHaynes

Quote from: elgreenio on June 30, 2015, 02:45:09 PM
always preferred his under 18 teams to the likes of Kits', they had more steel about them. Our somewhat golden generation has already passed through though, be interesting to see if he can get the fire going again (I strongly doubt it)
Agree with this but it very much depends on whether Riggs & co will support the academy to the same extent that brought our 'golden generation' to Motspur in the first place. this is something I have been concerned about over the last 18 months, the group now vying for 1st team places and being touted as multi-£m sales surely show that the returns on the relatively small investment(in the scheme of things) in the academy pay offs very handsomely.

leonffc

Quote from: MasterHaynes on June 30, 2015, 05:51:09 PM
Quote from: elgreenio on June 30, 2015, 02:45:09 PM
Agree with this but it very much depends on whether Riggs & co will support the academy to the same extent that brought our 'golden generation' to Motspur in the first place. this is something I have been concerned about over the last 18 months, the group now vying for 1st team places and being touted as multi-£m sales surely show that the returns on the relatively small investment(in the scheme of things) in the academy pay offs very handsomely.

This relates similarly to a question that I asked MJG on Twitter the other day.
"What exactly did his role as FA talent ID involve"

As expected it was identifying English talent at all the lower age groups, not really the seniors.
I asked this because I'm still not totally sure how he is seen as the clubs saviour in terms of our first team squad, as in a director of football role (he may be very good but it's not what he was doing for the FA).
So in answer to your concerns, with his background I would fully expect Mike Rigg and the club to support the academy set up as before, if not more so now we are in the position we are in. We certainly look to be copying the Southampton model from when they plummeted and rose again and with the staff we already have at youth level, Riggs expertise at that level and the realisation that Wigley would be an asset no matter how he left before speaks volumes. Well to me it does but I do hear voices a lot.

God The Mechanic

Didn't Rigg help set up Man City's vast scouting network when they got bought?  That was very definitely first team focused.  Add that to his experience with youth talent spotting for the FA shows he is adept at both first team and academy recruitment.

SouthfieldWhite

I did  say people would be happy with the u18  managers appointment, of course I couldn't say anything at the time on the previous thread about a new u18 manager  , but I couldn't be happier to welcome Steve back to the club.

A great appointment

leonffc

Quote from: God The Mechanic on June 30, 2015, 06:50:14 PM
Didn't Rigg help set up Man City's vast scouting network when they got bought?  That was very definitely first team focused.  Add that to his experience with youth talent spotting for the FA shows he is adept at both first team and academy recruitment.

Yeah maybe but if I could be a bit devious, slightly tongue in cheek, and point out that Citeh's buying policy hasn't been great compared to the millions spent, please don't quote Aguero and Toure, my Mrs knows they were good players, and their youth players are hardly starting a 'Pellegrini babes' era.
I'm not knocking Rigg here, just throwing an argument in about Citeh's set up.
I'm sure Rigg was appointed for very good reasons and I'm sure he's very good at what he does. I personally see that as being in the development side of the club rather than immediate first team but I'm probably wrong. I haven't watched 'that video' or read much over the break so lots on here have probably got more of a clue than me, it's just how I look at it football wise.

SouthfieldWhite

Quote from: leonffc on June 30, 2015, 07:37:07 PM
Quote from: God The Mechanic on June 30, 2015, 06:50:14 PM

Yeah maybe but if I could be a bit devious, slightly tongue in cheek, and point out that Citeh's buying policy hasn't been great compared to the millions spent, please don't quote Aguero and Toure, my Mrs knows they were good players, and their youth players are hardly starting a 'Pellegrini babes' era.
I'm not knocking Rigg here, just throwing an argument in about Citeh's set up.
I'm sure Rigg was appointed for very good reasons and I'm sure he's very good at what he does. I personally see that as being in the development side of the club rather than immediate first team but I'm probably wrong. I haven't watched 'that video' or read much over the break so lots on here have probably got more of a clue than me, it's just how I look at it football wise.

Man Citeh main aim when the Arabs bout them was to win the league at any cost
They did that then it was about winning it again and doing better in the Champions league.

They didn't really give too much time to the academy

That's now changing and they are now setting up centres all around the world from usa to Australia to find the best young players about to bring into their academy.

They can even boast of having van pressies boy in there who seems to be a great talent