watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Why the negatives towards Richards?

Started by Tooting legend, June 30, 2015, 11:46:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tooting legend

Reading this board about the possible signing of Ashley Richards I find appalling. The kid was on loan last season came in to the club in January half way through the season. Why don't you just give him a go on a full season with pre-season under his belt. instead of being negative.

I know there are a lot of young fans on the board that have been a Fulham fan since the glory days that jump on the band wagon. But you Mr MJG surprises me being a loyal fan even you should be able to see what I am saying, and to give the boy a chance.

Jonaldiniho 88

Quote from: Tooting legend on June 30, 2015, 11:46:44 PM
Reading this board about the possible signing of Ashley Richards I find appalling. The kid was on loan last season came in to the club in January half way through the season. Why don't you just give him a go on a full season with pre-season under his belt. instead of being negative.

I know there are a lot of young fans on the board that have been a Fulham fan since the glory days that jump on the band wagon. But you Mr MJG surprises me being a loyal fan even you should be able to see what I am saying, and to give the boy a chance.

I started that post and had no really negative posts about him. Please quote what makes you so upset to clarify as it all seemed pretty even to me.

Barrie

Tooting legend

So you are telling me that there wasn't negative posts it was more 60-40 Why start the post? Immature springs to mind!

Jonaldiniho 88

Quote from: Barrie on June 30, 2015, 11:53:48 PM
What a negative thread

Really? I hope this is sarcastic. My first post stated that I wouldn't be upset with this signing. Most comments have echoed my feelings. Some would love him ONE wouldn't. How is that negative?

MJG

Quote from: Tooting legend on June 30, 2015, 11:46:44 PM

This will be my last comment on him till he signs or not.

We had him on loan for 14 games,  more than enough time on a individual basis to show what he offers. For me it's not a lot. I don't think he's that good a defender and going forward he's marginally better than Grimmer(who is the better defender).
Lots mention his ability to play on the left. Well he was very poor in the position the couple of times I saw him there.

Look if he signs then fine,  I'll give him the fresh start But for me we scouted him for those 14 games,  and on that I'd not sign him.

Chutney

The negetivity stems from the fact that he is a bad player.
C O Y W

filham

Well we saw him last season for half a dozen or so games at home and he didn't seem to set the Cottage alight and perhaps we were hoping for something better.

However I fully agree that we should back Kit's judgement and get right behind the lad.

Riverside

I would not condemn any individual in the back 4 of last year . There was a different 4 every week and had minimal midfield cover.
Have a stable 4 who know where the others are positionally and provide some midfield cover I think they will all look much better individually

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snarks

Quote from: Riverside on July 01, 2015, 09:38:03 AM
I would not condemn any individual in the back 4 of last year . There was a different 4 every week and had minimal midfield cover.
Have a stable 4 who know where the others are positionally and provide some midfield cover I think they will all look much better individually

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bliomey a post I "almost" agree with. However on a couple of occassion (More than a couple with 70+ goals conceeded) You could easily blame the back 4 alone, Staff was poor at getting tight to his man. Centre backs were dragged out of position to easily (Turner sorted that a bit). However I think the RHS improved when Tunni played in front of the RB, but even then the Diamond made it hard. Where Richards played well at Swansea and for Wales was as a RB, behind a midfield 4 or 5.

Lighthouse

It may help (if he signs) if we have a few decent midfield players. It would be hard for any defender to shine in that side of last season.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

nose

jazz Richards was indifferent at best. He was certainly no better than we had already.
We want to improve so we need a better class of player. Also for the short time he was with us he was, if i remember correctly, not entirely injury free.
I felt if we signed the likes of him then it was a signal that we had no proper ambition and were prepared to accept we would not be challenging for promotion any time soon.

Maybe i am wrong and he will blossom elsewhere, so i wish him luck and all good fortune.

Barrie

Quote from: Jonaldiniho 88 on June 30, 2015, 11:58:26 PM
What a negative thread

Really? I hope this is sarcastic. My first post stated that I wouldn't be upset with this signing. Most comments have echoed my feelings. Some would love him ONE wouldn't. How is that negative?

It was tongue-in-cheek, the thread topic started as 'such a negative board.'

Dodger53

Quote from: nose on July 01, 2015, 11:24:23 AM
jazz Richards was indifferent at best. He was certainly no better than we had already.
We want to improve so we need a better class of player. Also for the short time he was with us he was, if i remember correctly, not entirely injury free.
I felt if we signed the likes of him then it was a signal that we had no proper ambition and were prepared to accept we would not be challenging for promotion any time soon.

Maybe i am wrong and he will blossom elsewhere, so i wish him luck and all good fortune.

I agree, the main thing he lacked was the ability to cross a ball and to maintain forward momentum, he frequently found himself in a fantastic position, ball at his feet but because he knows he cannot crosss the ball he cuts back and passes back leaving us really exposed.

snarks

You only had to look at the comments about Grimmer during the season from some posters on this board to know that a full backs lot (at Fulham) is not a happy one.

I think Grimmer is good, Richards marginally better, both will be hugely helped by a midfield that can actually cover and help out. The diamond does nothing with the quality of player Fulham had last season, and I just think Ross was not cut out to be the lone striker, to allow for a 5 man midfield.

Still if other teams did actually want him and he came to Fulham, that is a plus not a minus.

McBride78

It seems some want every signing to be a 5 million dollar first team quality player.  For the price quoted in the news on Jazz, I think it is good business.  Perhaps he is no better than we have, but we are thin in the position.  He either earns a spot or provides cover.  No harm in this business if it goes through.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: McBride78 on July 01, 2015, 03:48:57 PM
It seems some want every signing to be a 5 million dollar first team quality player.  For the price quoted in the news on Jazz, I think it is good business.  Perhaps he is no better than we have, but we are thin in the position.  He either earns a spot or provides cover.  No harm in this business if it goes through.

You make a good point, I was not that impressed with him, however, if he signs, as it's permanent as opposed to loan, as it was last season, he may settle down and settle in better, and we may see a much improved  all round player, so no harm in signing, especially after seeing some of the mediocrity Magath signed.  
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Twig

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on July 01, 2015, 04:32:57 PM
Quote from: McBride78 on July 01, 2015, 03:48:57 PM
It seems some want every signing to be a 5 million dollar first team quality player.  For the price quoted in the news on Jazz, I think it is good business.  Perhaps he is no better than we have, but we are thin in the position.  He either earns a spot or provides cover.  No harm in this business if it goes through.

You make a good point, I was not that impressed with him, however, if he signs, as it's permanent as opposed to loan, as it was last season, he may settle down and settle in better, and we may see a much improved  all round player, so no harm in signing, especially after seeing some of the mediocrity Magath signed. 

I agree and as several have said, he and our other potential back 4 starters need to be judged when they have some protection from a mid field capable of; retaining possession, defending back and getting the ball forward with some pace.  However I especially loved your comment "especially after seeing some of the mediocrity Magath signed", great British understatement!

Jonaldiniho 88

Quote from: Barrie on July 01, 2015, 02:07:56 PM
Quote from: Jonaldiniho 88 on June 30, 2015, 11:58:26 PM
What a negative thread

It was tongue-in-cheek, the thread topic started as 'such a negative board.'

Appologisys. I think I took offence to the OP and was baying for blood. But in vein with the thread how dare you be so negatively whitty.

Skatzoffc

He didn't shine for me tbh. But it was a loan spell in a poor team.

So we'll give him a go. He hasn't cost the earth and with better midfield protection and a more stable defense maybe he can do a job for us.

I would like to see more of Grimmer as well tho. I like him and he's come thro the "yoof".

COYW!
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !