Started by tingtawng, July 22, 2010, 03:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tingtawng

Forget Martin Jol. Fulham should appoint Diego Maradona
Simon Rice

* By Simon Rice
    * Sport
    * Thursday, 22 July 2010 at 3:35 pm

Forget Martin Jol. Fulham should appoint Diego Maradona, sportSo the Martin Jol saga has come to an end. After much flirting and misdirection, he's turned down Fulham and will be staying with Ajax.

I thought he was a good choice to succeed Roy Hodgson. But that's in the past now and we can look forward with anticipation as to whom Mohamed Al Fayed will draft in to fill the void.

A quick glance at the bookies favourites would suggest there's little to get excited about. Dave Jones (small-time), Sven-Goran Eriksson (good-times), Gianfranco Zola (Chelsea-times) and Alan Curbishley (please not in my time) are among the leading contenders.

But Fulham have a habit of surprising people more than a fiercely hit Jabulani. The Cottagers brought Kevin Keegan back into management after his (original) Newcastle melt down. They coaxed the genius that is Jean Tigana away from his vineyard in France. And most recently Roy Roy Roy, an appointment that came out of nowhere but turned out to be the best signing the club ever made.

I'm hoping Fulham make another inspired choice. Someone who could continue the Cottagers' charge up the travelator and provide entertainment – rather than a run-of-the-mill coach off the managerial conveyerbelt.

Jurgun Klinsmann would be great. The public love the diving German, especially after he showed up the moronic BBC pundits during the World Cup.

How about Dave Bassett? He's been out of the game for too long. In fact I'm not sure what he's up to right now (some reports claim he's a motivational speaker) but I think he could do a job. Probably a bad one but it'd be fun.

Or John Fashanu, just for the pleasure of pronouncing his name the (apparently) correct way.

But my favoured choice, well above all others, is Diego Armando Maradona. Imagine for a moment the joy he would bring, not just to Fulham but to the Premier League as a whole. The crazy training sessions, wild post match interviews, the gyrating gesticulation on the touchline. Imagine him pitting his tactical wits against Arsene Wenger, or being interviewed one-on-one by Garth Crooks. It's an appointment that could go wrong in so many ways, but what a ride it would be.

So come on Mr Fayed. When Keegan left for the England job, you said it was your gift to the nation of England. Now give us something that we really want.
IN SVEN VE TVUST

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

eeeerrrrrrrr No,we are not here to make other people smile,we are not a JOKE :014:
we are not here to be laughed at by others or the so called big 4
WE ARE FULHAM-we might not be bigger,than you,we may not have as many glory hunting fans,but we have heart, we have honesty,we are here because we love our club,we are here because we can STAND UP IF YOU BELIEVE :clap_hands: :clap_hands: :clap_hands: :clap_hands:

FatFreddysCat

I'm sure Finny wouldn't mind  :033: .

tingtawng

free columbian nose candy for all the team & fans as well ?
IN SVEN VE TVUST

boxhockcycsock

I seriously disagree with Mr. Rice on this one. Maradona didn't seem to be a brilliant tactician during the WC and had some attitude issues apparently with Messi. He doesn't seem to be a guy who can really rally the troops, but more of a figurehead who can get the team noticed.

I don't want a manager who lacks class like Maradona has on occasion Diego Maradona thought Thomas Muller is a Ballboy I mean, he didn't recognize Thomas Müller, the man who started almost every game for Bayern Munich when they won the Double and went to the Champions League final.

Big thumbs down for me  :046:
Time is blind.
Make sure in the parking lot of life, you do not take it's handicapped spot because then you'll be occupying time's space, the ticket for which is being thrown into a wormhole.