Main Menu

Sven is back in contention again

Started by tingtawng, July 22, 2010, 04:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Fulham for life!

FatFreddysCat

tingtawng

Fulham held preliminary discussions with Eriksson earlier this month, but broke them off in order to pursue Jol. However, Eriksson enjoys good relations with Fulham chief executive Alistair Mackintosh from their days together at Manchester City.

In addition, Eriksson is known to be keen on a return to the Premier League. The Swede felt he was unfairly sacked as Manchester City manager two years ago after leading the club to their highest ever Premier League points total, and still feels he has unfinished business in English football.

But after their very public pursuit of Jol, Fulham are determined to make their search more discreet this time, issuing only a short statement undertaking to install a new manager "in the soonest time-frame possible".

Ray Lewington remains in temporary charge of the club on its pre-season tour to Swindon, but with barely three weeks to go until the opening Premier League fixture against Bolton, time is a factor for Fulham.

Cardiff manager Dave Jones is another possible candidate, but he would not be Fulham's first choice, and there is also doubt over whether Jones, who at a shade over five years is the longest-serving manager in the Championship, would leave the Cardiff City Stadium.

Even though Cardiff narrowly missed out on promotion in May after Cardiff lost to Blackpool in the play-off final, Jones retains a strong association with the club and under the terms of the new contract he signed in 2007, bought shares in Cardiff and must give them 12 months' notice if he wants to leave.

Jol's decision to stay at Ajax was a huge surprise to Fulham, who were certain they would secure his services after he stated he wanted to leave. However, Ajax made it clear they would not release him from his contract, which runs for another two years, and after receiving assurance from chief executive Rik van den Boog that any funds from the sale of players would be made available to spend, Jol decided to honour his deal rather than drag the matter through the courts.

"I like Fulham, I like London, I like England, so I was a bit disappointed I had to say no," Jol said. "He [Mackintosh] was offering me a good job at a good club. I was willing to go there but I'm on a contract. We spoke about it for hours, but I told Fulham I had to stay. All these problems, going to court, I don't want that."
IN SVEN VE TVUST

TonyGilroy

Pre season tour of SWINDON.

Who says we have no ambition.

White Noise

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/fulham/7905475/Sven-Goran-Eriksson-favourite-to-take-over-at-Fulham-after-Martin-Jol-snub.html

Sven-Goran Eriksson favourite to take over at Fulham after Martin Jol snub

Sven-Goran Eriksson has emerged as the new favourite to take over as Fulham's new manager after Martin Jol reluctantly opted to stay at Ajax.

By Jonathan Liew

Published: 7:59PM BST 22 Jul 2010

Staying put: Martin Jol has rejected an offer to move Fulham in order to finish the work he started at Ajax Photo: AP The Ivory Coast manager was, along with Jol, at the head of a shortlist of possible names to succeed Roy Hodgson at Craven Cottage. However, now Fulham have missed out on Jol, Eriksson is the leading candidate remaining.

After a disappointing World Cup campaign in which the Ivory Coast failed to qualify from their World Cup group, the Swede has still not pledged his future to the Elephants, even though they play a friendly against Italy in two weeks' time.

Fulham held preliminary discussions with Eriksson earlier this month, but broke them off in order to pursue Jol. However, Eriksson enjoys good relations with Fulham chief executive Alistair Mackintosh from their days together at Manchester City.

In addition, Eriksson is known to be keen on a return to the Premier League. The Swede felt he was unfairly sacked as Manchester City manager two years ago after leading the club to their highest ever Premier League points total, and still feels he has unfinished business in English football.

But after their very public pursuit of Jol, Fulham are determined to make their search more discreet this time, issuing only a short statement undertaking to install a new manager "in the soonest time-frame possible".

Ray Lewington remains in temporary charge of the club on its pre-season tour to Swindon, but with barely three weeks to go until the opening Premier League fixture against Bolton, time is a factor for Fulham.

Cardiff manager Dave Jones is another possible candidate, but he would not be Fulham's first choice, and there is also doubt over whether Jones, who at a shade over five years is the longest-serving manager in the Championship, would leave the Cardiff City Stadium.

Even though Cardiff narrowly missed out on promotion in May after Cardiff lost to Blackpool in the play-off final, Jones retains a strong association with the club and under the terms of the new contract he signed in 2007, bought shares in Cardiff and must give them 12 months' notice if he wants to leave.

Jol's decision to stay at Ajax was a huge surprise to Fulham, who were certain they would secure his services after he stated he wanted to leave. However, Ajax made it clear they would not release him from his contract, which runs for another two years, and after receiving assurance from chief executive Rik van den Boog that any funds from the sale of players would be made available to spend, Jol decided to honour his deal rather than drag the matter through the courts.

"I like Fulham, I like London, I like England, so I was a bit disappointed I had to say no," Jol said. "He [Mackintosh] was offering me a good job at a good club. I was willing to go there but I'm on a contract. We spoke about it for hours, but I told Fulham I had to stay. All these problems, going to court, I don't want that."

Tom

Quote from: White Noise on July 22, 2010, 10:43:56 PM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/fulham/7905475/Sven-Goran-Eriksson-favourite-to-take-over-at-Fulham-after-Martin-Jol-snub.html

Sven-Goran Eriksson favourite to take over at Fulham after Martin Jol snub

Sven-Goran Eriksson has emerged as the new favourite to take over as Fulham's new manager after Martin Jol reluctantly opted to stay at Ajax.

By Jonathan Liew

Published: 7:59PM BST 22 Jul 2010

Staying put: Martin Jol has rejected an offer to move Fulham in order to finish the work he started at Ajax Photo: AP The Ivory Coast manager was, along with Jol, at the head of a shortlist of possible names to succeed Roy Hodgson at Craven Cottage. However, now Fulham have missed out on Jol, Eriksson is the leading candidate remaining.

After a disappointing World Cup campaign in which the Ivory Coast failed to qualify from their World Cup group, the Swede has still not pledged his future to the Elephants, even though they play a friendly against Italy in two weeks' time.

Crap!
Fulham for life!

Tom

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on July 22, 2010, 05:37:15 PM
Quote from: Tom on July 22, 2010, 05:18:57 PM
:doh:  :doh:  :doh:
Why does Clint look more like Will Smith in your avatar?
I have no idea Freddy. He looks a little gangster and I like it.
Fulham for life!

richardhkirkando

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on July 22, 2010, 05:37:15 PM
Why does Clint look more like Will Smith in your avatar?

He's taking his talents to South Beach.

Jimbobob

Tom:

Being an American I don't know all the history of Sven...Why is he so bad???
Not a good manager of men, talent, eye for talent, tactics....is he just a bad guy or just a bad manager or both???
Any help form any and all is appreciated.  :54: :54: :54:
Thanks!!! :dft010:
"You don't want to be trapped inside with me sunshine. Inside, I'm somebody nobody wants to love with do you understand?

Tom

Quote from: Jimbobob18 on July 23, 2010, 05:11:31 AM
:doh:  :doh:  :doh:

Tom:

Not a good manager of men, talent, eye for talent, tactics....is he just a bad guy or just a bad manager or both???
Any help form any and all is appreciated.  :54: :54: :54:
He just hasn't been successful in his past few coaching gigs. Look what he did to mexico, drove them into the ground. Just look at his failure this past World Cup. He also does not seem committed to the team he is coaching. Plus he thinks he is a playboy but in reality he is a complete douche bag! To me, he just does not seem the right fit for us. He is no Roy, as a matter of fact the complete opposite. I think he is a cancer to a team and brings the team down. Worst hire possible if you ask me. By hiring sven, we would be taking a step back from last year.  :046: :046: :046:
Fulham for life!

Banstead White

Apparently they said they had received over sixteen applications and i havn't had a NO yet , so watch out boys.....
Roysie

Tom

Quote from: Banstead White on July 23, 2010, 06:28:26 AM
Apparently they said they had received over sixteen applications and i havn't had a NO yet , so watch out boys.....
I will coach the team for 100,000 pounds a year. Save the team some money and they can spend that saved money on players.  :54:
Fulham for life!

tingtawng

IN SVEN VE TVUST

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: Tom on July 23, 2010, 05:48:30 AM
Quote from: Jimbobob18 on July 23, 2010, 05:11:31 AM

Tom:

Any help form any and all is appreciated.  :54: :54: :54:
He just hasn't been successful in his past few coaching gigs. Look what he did to mexico, drove them into the ground. Just look at his failure this past World Cup. He also does not seem committed to the team he is coaching. Plus he thinks he is a playboy but in reality he is a complete douche bag! To me, he just does not seem the right fit for us. He is no Roy, as a matter of fact the complete opposite. I think he is a cancer to a team and brings the team down. Worst hire possible if you ask me. By hiring sven, we would be taking a step back from last year.  :046: :046: :046:

All this bashing of Sven is bollox inspired by lazy trash journalism from the least reliable papers in the UK. Yes, he has had his fair share of trouble, but it was blown out of all proportion by the media. His failure to get England to a WC final/semi-final turned most in England against him.

He struggled at his previous jobs but was suceeding at Man City before hewas canned for Mark Hughes (who was the one who spent all the money). If we got him, he would be an excellent choice, he has contacts across the game and could bring in some exciting names. He also represents the most continuity from Hodgson as he learnt from him in the 70's and 80's in sweden. All in all an excellent choice.

SuffolkWhite

Jol was my preferred choice but if we end up with Svenner's then I will support him as much I did Hodgson. To be fair when Sanchez was given the job I supported him fully until things started to go pair shaped. 
Sven is better quality than a lot of managers out there who don't have jobs currently! Sanchez anyone?
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Logicalman

Quote from: tingtawng on July 23, 2010, 08:21:48 AM
he has a keen eye for talent alright ,ones in skirts with big chests

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/may/22/seven-deadly-sins-football-sven-faria-alam-fa

Yet another rag paper trying to drag up crap from the past .... just because they cannot be bothered to get out and find some real news to report on.
THIS is the whole nugget of the piece .. "Here, at last, was scandal. It was transgressive enough that she should be one of the secretarial staff at the FA. Alam, however, also had an affair with the then chief executive, Mark Palios. There were accusations, too, that an FA employee had offered to give the News of the World details of Eriksson's relationship with Alam so long as they did not write about Palios. The chief executive denied any wrongdoing but still resigned in August 2004. Eriksson survived the uproar, as he so often did in various matters. His good manners did not conceal a disdain for that very British combination of prurience and censoriousness. He may have had more difficulty in dealing with the reaction of his then partner Nancy Dell'Olio."

So, we have a single guy, getting it on with a single woman, who works for the FA and likes to put it about a bit. I'm not too sure how this is a "scandal" for Sven. If they reported every time a single (can I make that any more obvious) guy goes off and does the naughties with a single women, then they wouldn't have any room for anything else.
if we all based our player or managerial selections on morals, then no-one would hardly have a team left at the end of the day, especially the top 4 or 6 in the Prem.

Lighthouse

Sven-Goran Eriksson's agent, Athole Still, has revealed that Fulham have yet to approach the Swede.

The former England and Manchester City boss is intrigued by the Craven Cottage post, believing he has 'unfinished business' in the Premier League.

He is also available at present, having parted company with Ivory Coast following this summer's World Cup.

Fulham are believed to be keen on the experienced coach, having missed out on top target Martin Jol - who has decided to stay at Ajax.

They are, however, yet to make their move and no discussions have been held with Eriksson or his representatives.

Still said: "It's a very attractive club, not just for Sven-Goran Eriksson."

But he added: "(There has been) no contact whatsoever.

Consideration
"We've known for several weeks that Sven was one of the managers under consideration for the job.

"(There has been) no interview, no discussion whatsoever."

Still claims Eriksson still feels aggrieved at the way he was treated at City, with a personality clash with then owner Thaksin Shinawatra leading to his dismissal in June 2008.

"Of course he has unfinished business there (the Premier League)," said Still.

"He was in my view outrageously sacked from his position.

"He did a first-class job with Manchester City - it was a personal non-compatibility with Dr Shinawatra which caused him to be sacked.

"He should still be there."
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

ron

Quote from: Lighthouse on July 23, 2010, 11:08:32 AM
Sven-Goran Eriksson's agent, Athole Still, has revealed that Fulham have yet to approach the Swede.

There's a coincidence ...the last I heard, Sven was Still an Athole as well.... :005:

Tom

Fulham for life!