News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

If Roy crashed and burned at Liverpool would you take him back?

Started by Jimpav, July 23, 2010, 11:09:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimpav

he went back to Inter after getting sacked at Blackburn, just wondered if he would come back to us and if he did would you have him?

Chopper

Generally I don't think it ever works going back to place where you've already been.

In Roy's case I'd make an exception if we were in a place where we needed a manager and he was available.

I doubt it would happen though. I reckon depending how things go with the Plod he'll be lined up as Capello's successor for England and then it'll be time to retire.
Sold my soul to the Green Pole

Serotonin

Stranger things have happened. They shipped Robbie Keane back to spurs, and he was more expensive...

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

TonyGilroy

Peabody

No. You cannot turn back the clock. I have only known Bobby Robson and Alan Mullery coming back and proving to be successful.

FFCSteve

No!!!!!

Why would you take someone back that you could not trust! He has shown his cards, he is not a loyal manager. Something perceived to be better or "More of a challenge" & he'd be gone again!

On another note: Who the hell are we going to get now? Other managers will see themselves as third or fourth choice! & indeed will be third or fourth choice!
We have shot ourselves in the foot making all this so public!
COYW!!! Bring back Rene! But I do like Slav!

White Noise

It can work but not for long. You can get an initial boost but the person themselves is always comparing this time with that and the players and fans do as well.

Never take your dog back if he starts eating and sleeping next door - or your missus for that matter!

blingo

Some very disrespectful comments considering he was the best manager in the history of FFC. If any of you were offered a job with higher expectations and possible prospects at a bigger company would you not take the job? Roy was a nice, articulate and top man and still is in my opinion. He left us, but dont any of you believe for one minute that MAF was not FULLY aware of what was going on. RH is too much of a gentleman to behave in any way other than honorably. Sorry guys but Blingo thinks you have got it wrong on this one. Do I think he has made a big mistake in going? YES without any doubt, but only time will tell us. Would I take him back as manager. Stupid question when he has the full respect of the players and the chairman, and is the most succesful manager in our history. How quickly you all forget the nights of Hamburg,Juventus, Shaktar and Wolfsburg. Beating Man U, Liverpool and Arsenal. When have ANY of you seen that at FFC and WHEN do any of you think we will see it again?????

Tony: 1 out of 10 for the comment m8. Sorry but that was out of order.

TonyGilroy

Matter of opinion and we're each entitled to think and feel what we want.

We care about the club and, naively, like to think that the players and manager feel the same.
Clearly not the case with Hodgson.

All the good done by him is in grave jeopardy of being undermined by the timing and manner of His leaving and I feel nothing but disdain for him.

Others are entitled to feel differently but I'll bet MAFs with me on this.

alfie

Quote from: TonyGilroy on July 23, 2010, 12:40:20 PM
Matter of opinion and we're each entitled to think and feel what we want.

We care about the club and, naively, like to think that the players and manager feel the same.
Clearly not the case with Hodgson.

All the good done by him is in grave jeopardy of being undermined by the timing and manner of His leaving and I feel nothing but disdain for him.

Others are entitled to feel differently but I'll bet MAFs with me on this.

It never fails to amaze me by some of the comments on this board, football is this man's job it pays his wages, he got offered something better and he took it, why on earth do we keep getting blasted with the word loyalty, loyalty to what, he was paid to do a job and he done it, and i would guess that if you are employed it is the same for you. Sometimes i don't agree with the way Blingo says things but i am 100% behind him on this one
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

ron

Agree Alfie. It must be that  supporting a football club is about passion, and people tend to think with their hearts.

To totally decry the man the second he goes has got to be wrong. He was the Fulham manager, he wasn't a fan. In the world of work very few throw away the chance of  another experience/higher pay/bigger emotional rewards by saying "I'm happy where I am and I'll never move". People who think that way normally only last about 18 months into their retirements because their reason to live finishes with their employment.

blingo

Tony, if MAF had felt the same as you on this, then why did he not do the same as Ajax have done with Martin Jol? You are of course fully entitled to your opinion on this, but that doesn't make it right does it?

TonyGilroy

The difference is that it's not work to us. It's the release from work and the other pressures of life.

We don't turn up at Craven Cottage to watch architects, lawyers, plumbers, office managers etc go about their business.

It's fine for Hodgson to regard his job as mere work but it doesn't feel like that for the supporters of the club he manages.

I'm certainly not interested in pursuing an argument here because if others feel differently to me that's perfectly OK.

I would like though to apologise to toilet cleaners who do a difficult and unpleasant job and it was wrong of me to demean their occupation.

Jimpav

I can see where you are coming from Tony but we have to accept that Roy leaving us was the price we paid for reaching the giddy heights that we did.

I wouldn't have swapped a European final for managerial stability, even if it means losing a few of the players that took us there and flirting with relegation next season.

Everything and everyone has a price. Ours was losing one of the best manager we have ever had. United lost Ronaldo and Teves in similar circumstances and arguably lost the league as a result of those transfers. Arsenal set to lose Fabregas, Villa are set to lose Milner. It's the price of success.

There is always going to be someone with more money or prestige ready to swoop on anything that could make a difference to them as we have seen throughout our history. Van Der Sar, Saha, Smalling and probably Hangeland are a few recent casualties but such is life.

Surely it's better to be thankful for what we achieved with these people, rather than mourn their departure in such a negative way.

We've got the memories to look back on and the future to look forward to.

Stand up if you still believe.

Tom

Fulham for life!

Fernhurst

Jimpav --- What a great title for a thread... very thought provoking.

Not sure how the situation would occur, but lets assume our new appointee and Roy were both dismissed around Christmas as we lay just above Liverpool in 19th place!

Roy though his Svengali influence on our team took us on journey with incredible highs. He convinced a team of solid pro's to amalgamate behind the cause and through his defensive style produced some of my most memorable experiences watching my team for over 50 years.

As Blingo stated he is a gentleman with an elegant style and a rapier mind which completely won over the media pack.
Personally I was very disappointed to see him go, but it is totally unsurprising a bigger business seeks out and recruits talented managers.

Roy has been sacked in the past and has obviously been affected by that experience, although he paid fulsome tributes to the fans in the media he did not come within 50yards of the Hammy End on his end of season walkaround. The man is skilled but wary of forming an emotional bond and is probably quite right considering those same fans would have turned on him very quickly if results had spiralled downward.

Now ..... would I take him back..... my answer would be NO.

Totally impossible to recreate the past two seasons.

Jimpav

Thanks Fernhurst, that was a considered and logical reply.

I'm sad to hear that Roy didn't pay his dues to the Hammy End on his departure. Sadly I missed our last home fixture because of the re-schedule.

I think Roy always did have a politely distance approach to us but this has become more poignant and perhaps more obvious since his departure. I think that this may have been more to do with his general compusure and seniority, rather than an arrogance or state of aloofness.

I also believe that Roy would probably be a bit to wise to re-join us. As you pointed out it would be impossible to re-create his achievments here and failure to do so would more than likely take the magic out of the fairytale he gave us.

Rupert

Justto twist it around, slightly, does anyone think Chairman Mo would take him back? :58:
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.