watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

"Dial VIC for Fulham......"

Started by ron, July 26, 2010, 07:15:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ron

...All this humming and hawing about the next manager and the recent chat about Vic Buckingham reminds me of the "Dial VIC for Fulham" campaign in I think the "Evening News". Those of a certain age will remember when London phone numbers included three letters (Craven Cottage was RENown 5621), and the telephone dial and the catchphrase were inspired by that. The press campaign was going for weeks before he actually took up the hot seat, and it was looked upon as a new dawn, which it didn't quite end up being..... but that's another story.

grimmynz

That sure brings back memories.  Our first phone number (other than a party line we had when I was too young to use it!) was EMBerbrook 4399.  Some things you just never forget!  Dad's first car registration 622 WPL and so it goes on....

CorkedHat

Round our way it was VANdyke. I think it was coined by a dyxslexic who couldn't spell WANdsworth :009:
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

LBNo11

...here's a link to a site that will bring back old memories of dialling codes in London, me, I was a POPesgrove (Alexander Pope used to live in the area) resident, poshboy that's me...

http://www.rhaworth.myby.co.uk/phreak/tenp_01.htm
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Peabody

For us in Peabody, it was RIVerside. My Uncle and Aunt who lived in Harmondsworth, were originally WESt Drayton but because of their proximity to Heathrow, was changed to SKYport

blingo

It was Renown in blingo's house, but as not so many had phones, who could you call? I cant remember how many times i listened to the speaking clock when i was a kid  :doh:

bog

As for the old telephone codes Ruislip used to be RU4....a large piece useless information I know but nostalgia trips can do this to an old fool like me.