News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

So over all are we happy with this window?

Started by Andy S, September 01, 2015, 05:37:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy S

Personally I think we have done some great business. Obviously we are unable to spend really big due to ffp limitations but I think we have bought well and significantly improved the team. In fact rebuilt it. This is something felix was unable to do last year

Wearethewhites

Could of done with another striker, looks like Hopper won't happen now, but have done the best we can.

SP

Definitely.  Hopefully we can shift a few more tickets for the Blackburn & QPR games which are both on general sale.

Delboy

Agree, a good window, balancing the books well and bringing in some quality players who, if they perform to their abilities, should take us up to challenge for promotion. COYW

Lighthouse

Well we still need a bit of pace but the loan window opens soon. Compared to last season this is a level above that squad. So we really shouldn't be in any doubt that this has been a great window.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Craven Mad

Our biggest issue was goals conceded last season; we've signed 2 GKs, 2 RBs, 2 LBs, 2 CBs.

We also lacked creativity in midfield: we've signed 3 of the most creative players in the league last year and added depth to the squad too.

Yes, I'd like a pacey winger and new striker, but - all things considered - it's been a really decent window for us.

Even more so considering we've a) not really lost any of our key players, b) signed a number of younger players to longer contracts, c) significantly reduced the wage bill, d) cut off much of the deadwood and e) have an overall net transfer spend of practically nothing...

If Hooper (or similar) joins, it'll be the best window in a very long time. And credit will have to be given to all backroom staff involved.

HV71

Quote from: Craven Mad on September 01, 2015, 05:51:14 PM
Our biggest issue was goals conceded last season; we've signed 2 GKs, 2 RBs, 2 LBs, 2 CBs.

We also lacked creativity in midfield: we've signed 3 of the most creative players in the league last year and added depth to the squad too.

Yes, I'd like a pacey winger and new striker, but - all things considered - it's been a really decent window for us.

Even more so considering we've a) not really lost any of our key players, b) signed a number of younger players to longer contracts, c) significantly reduced the wage bill, d) cut off much of the deadwood and e) have an overall net transfer spend of practically nothing...

If Hooper (or similar) joins, it'll be the best window in a very long time. And credit will have to be given to all backroom staff involved.
V

Great post - totally agree

SKSW6

Most important thing now is getting Dembele and Hyndman on new deals

Ordar

Very disappointed we didn't manage to bring in a striker. Especially not knowing how long Smith is out, we're extremely light up front in terms of numbers, and also in terms of goals.

Last year Watford had 3 strikers score 15 or more goals. We only have Ross. The defence is going to have to massively improve and Dembele and Woodrow are going to have to step up

Apart from that, the rest of the window was fantastic. Get O'Hara, Dembele and Hyndman (unlikely) to sign new deals and we're in a great position

Craven Mad

Quote from: Ordar on September 01, 2015, 06:03:05 PM
:blow candles:Very disappointed we didn't manage to bring in a striker. Especially not knowing how long Smith is out, we're extremely light up front in terms of numbers, and also in terms of goals.

Last year Watford had 3 strikers score 15 or more goals. We only have Ross. The defence is going to have to massively improve and Dembele and Woodrow are going to have to step up

Apart from that, the rest of the window was fantastic. Get O'Hara, Dembele and Hyndman (unlikely) to sign new deals and we're in a great position

Now that Taggart's gone I'm sure we'll be looking for a loan.

Dembele, Cauley and Ross will be fine for a while. I think Smith was out for something like 4-6 weeks (from a week or so ago).

General

To be honest - the defence needed to be sorted a lot earlier but I'm happy with having Stearman in.

That said if I'm being honest we're extremely light up front and don't have many options in terms of strategic ability (a good mixture of pace and not) with genuine ability on the wing.

wanted hooper as a minimum down there but for some reason the club have finalised in a way all their transfers for this summer.

The Enclosurite

Would've liked another striker but happy with the defence being improved.  If you don't concede you don't lose so hopefully Ross and Co will do their bit now and things will start picking up.   049:gif
¡COYW!

gezkc

It's been a great window as far as I'm concerned - the club has done a really good job strengthening us where it was needed. Ok, we didn't get a striker, but as Lighthouse said, the loan window opens soon, and to be honest, we've scored 6 goals in the last two matches so perhaps not too much to worry about on that front!

Craven Mad

Norwich wouldn't let Hooper go because they couldn't finalise the deal with Palace for Gayle. That suggests Gayle is free to go without replacement.

Therefore, I reckon Pardew would be open to a loan move for Gayle now until January (when the window reopens and he can finalise the deal with Norwich). So this could work out well for us. Just gotta get on the blower to Alan and offer a fair fee.

alexbishop

Quote from: Craven Mad on September 01, 2015, 06:21:21 PM
Norwich wouldn't let Hooper go because they couldn't finalise the deal with Palace for Gayle. That suggests Gayle is free to go without replacement.

Therefore, I reckon Pardew would be open to a loan move for Gayle now until January (when the window reopens and he can finalise the deal with Norwich). So this could work out well for us. Just gotta get on the blower to Alan and offer a fair fee.

Palace want a replacement for Gayle. That's why Norwich couldn't sign him.
Fulham Fan Est. 1997

t: @alexmbishop

Twig

Quote from: Lighthouse on September 01, 2015, 05:50:04 PM
Well we still need a bit of pace but the loan window opens soon. Compared to last season this is a level above that squad. So we really shouldn't be in any doubt that this has been a great window.

My feelings exactly.

Craven Mad

Quote from: alexbishop on September 01, 2015, 06:22:37 PM

Where'd you hear that?

They're pretty set up front. My understanding was that the deal was stalled due to money/terms.

Slaphead in Qatar

7/10 for this window. happy. but we are a striker light. alot of pressure on ross to have a good season, hopefully that will motivate him to lose some weight in the international break.

os5889 mkII

Quote from: Craven Mad on September 01, 2015, 06:25:36 PM
Quote from: alexbishop on September 01, 2015, 06:22:37 PM

Where'd you hear that?

They're pretty set up front. My understanding was that the deal was stalled due to money/terms.

Would suggest the following speaks volumes...

@OsmithFFC

greek_coyw

With my still limited understanding of Championship (and knowledge of players bought) it seems indeed like a good transfer window.

I am glad that we have bought and not loaned players because, with almost half of the starting team being new, and having skipped pre-season training, we will need quite a lot of time to bond.The team may be able to start performing properly in 1,5 month or so. We will still lose points, the players will rotate a lot, some will disappoint us but for sure we are a stronger and more experienced team than last year.

I see us finishing 7-10th this year, defining the core-players of the team and next year going for the big push with the additions of 1-2 key players (with a class striker included).