News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

So over all are we happy with this window?

Started by Andy S, September 01, 2015, 05:37:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FulhamStu

Quote from: HV71 on September 01, 2015, 05:53:37 PM
Quote from: Craven Mad on September 01, 2015, 05:51:14 PM
Our biggest issue was goals conceded last season; we've signed 2 GKs, 2 RBs, 2 LBs, 2 CBs.

We also lacked creativity in midfield: we've signed 3 of the most creative players in the league last year and added depth to the squad too.

Yes, I'd like a pacey winger and new striker, but - all things considered - it's been a really decent window for us.

Even more so considering we've a) not really lost any of our key players, b) signed a number of younger players to longer contracts, c) significantly reduced the wage bill, d) cut off much of the deadwood and e) have an overall net transfer spend of practically nothing...

If Hooper (or similar) joins, it'll be the best window in a very long time. And credit will have to be given to all backroom staff involved.
V

Great post - totally agree
Also agree see my post in Dannybois thread.

Jonaldiniho 88

I'm happy. Always room for improvement but we have done a lot of improving.

Gloss White

Very happy, so pleased to see a proper defence at last. In Fredricks and Husband we have 2 quality wingbacks and feel we have the perfect squad for 3-5-2.
Would love to see Stearman and Burn as the centre backs with Ream sweeping. This would allow 3 from 5 of Pringle, Cairney, O'Hara and LVC to play in more central midfield positions rather than having to play out of position wide.

Carborundum

The short answer is yes, happy enough.  We probably need another striker, but that can be done through a loan.  Five games in twelve days will tell us a lot about this squad and if our new defenders can gel quickly, there may be some good times ahead.

fulham traveller

But why didn't we go for vydra, I would have had Orlando sa, there forward line looks good

Apprentice to the Maestro

Quote from: Craven Mad on September 01, 2015, 05:51:14 PM
Our biggest issue was goals conceded last season; we've signed 2 GKs, 2 RBs, 2 LBs, 2 CBs.

We also lacked creativity in midfield: we've signed 3 of the most creative players in the league last year and added depth to the squad too.

Yes, I'd like a pacey winger and new striker, but - all things considered - it's been a really decent window for us.

Even more so considering we've a) not really lost any of our key players, b) signed a number of younger players to longer contracts, c) significantly reduced the wage bill, d) cut off much of the deadwood and e) have an overall net transfer spend of practically nothing...

If Hooper (or similar) joins, it'll be the best window in a very long time. And credit will have to be given to all backroom staff involved.

A very good summary.

Too many vocal voices on here are unrealistic. Of course the team is not the final product. No team ever is. But in the early part of the window we greatly improved our midfield and towards the end we have likewise improved the defence. And we may still be able to improve the attack with a loan or two.

Considering the sorry state we have been in over the last couple of years this window has seen a remarkable turnaround in quality and attitude within the squad and those involved, Rigg, Symons and Mackintosh, are to be congratulated.

dannyboi-ffc

Yes overall the club did very well. Our squad has improved ten fold and had we spent money to get what we have I wouldn't have an issue with not getting a forward but we didn't.  Again that's a good thing the club didn't strain itself financially and going forward it is a very good model of practice. However, I don't think spending 5 million more than we have was either being unreasonable or risking FFP. That doesn't mean the window wasn't a success because it was
and has been the best for a long time.

I'm just greedy as one decent forward would have turned us into a serious force. If Ross gets injured I think we will struggle to score goals on a regular basis.

If we bring in Hooper on loan still then I can have no complaints. I just think a 5 million bid for him would have showed more intent than relying on an emergency loan
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Apprentice to the Maestro

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on September 02, 2015, 08:22:51 AM
Yes overall the club did very well. Our squad has improved ten fold and had we spent money to get what we have I wouldn't have an issue with not getting a forward but we didn't.  Again that's a good thing the club didn't strain itself financially and going forward it is a very good model of practice. However, I don't think spending 5 million more than we have was either being unreasonable or risking FFP. That doesn't mean the window wasn't a success because it was
and has been the best for a long time.

I'm just greedy as one decent forward would have turned us into a serious force. If Ross gets injured I think we will struggle to score goals on a regular basis.

If we bring in Hooper on loan still then I can have no complaints. I just think a 5 million bid for him would have showed more intent than relying on an emergency loan

I am sure the club were also 'greedy for a forward' but, more than any other position and particularly because of the higher cost of forwards compared to other players, the club must make the right choice. And then you have to persuade his current club to sell and the player to come.

Look at how many expensive failures or less expensive disappointments we have had in that area.

Our goal scoring potential is not that bad and has improved with the new midfield. Cairney, Pringle and O'Hara have goals in them. McCormack and Woodrow have now got onto the scoreboard. I am sure LVC, Dembele and Smith will contribute. If we do manage to get Hooper on loan that sounds a good move.

We ideally want to get a forward to suit our current needs and a return to the PL. I was not particularly excited by names being touted such as Gayle. Now Riggs and Symons can concentrate on getting the forward that we really need, the next Louis Saha, Gordon Davies, Allan Clarke or Graham Leggat.

Jims Dentist

Most of us realise that we still need to add some pace, but am not sure that is the Symons way.
Regarding loans, already having two UK left backs in situ, are we restricted from more domestick loans?

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Jims Dentist on September 03, 2015, 08:24:22 PM
Most of us realise that we still need to add some pace, but am not sure that is the Symons way.
Regarding loans, already having two UK left backs in situ, are we restricted from more domestick loans?

The two left backs are English and young and are quality footballers, we are lucky to have one of them, let alone two. The players brought in since the end of last season are the right kind of players we need, with I reckon the right kind of characters and leaders and warriors and fighters, but they can all play a bit as well, they are not just defenders, they are footballing defenders.
I agree that we need a pacey striker and a winger to complete the jig saw, if we are going to make a serious challenge for top six, and then of course the next question is, how will the manager handle this challenge, what will be his system of play, will the players buy into it, and play for him.
Will we end up drawing matches we should win, and losing matches we should at least draw. These are question that will be answered in due course.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.