https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Merged: FIFA, Blatter and all

Started by Forever Fulham, September 15, 2015, 03:58:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YankeeJim

Quote from: McBride78 on September 16, 2015, 01:48:34 PM
Quote from: Nick Bateman on September 15, 2015, 04:51:46 PM
One did not know American law is now International law and they can "arrest" people from anywhere, or if not, smear officials without any evidence as you have outlibed above.  In most cases outside of the U.S. this would constitute a breach of civil liberties and would prejudice any proposed trial.

Of course, all their multi-billionaires gorging themselves with corruptly acquired gains are not under any scrutiny from this politically motivated investigation with absolutely no interest in benefitting football, a sport these people know very little about!

Nick hits this on the head with "politically motivated".  We can talk about all the boring details, but bottom line is our sitting President was embarrassed by FIFA and is not beyond using his office to retaliate.  He personally went to pitch the USA hosting the world cup and failed.  I believe he feels corrupt countries unfairly won the opportunity to host those games, and Barack's ego was not going to let that go lightly.  Long story short, FIFA sold those world cups and our president is using his office against them through the use of the executive branch of our government, which controls the IRS, the Justice Department, FBI, CIA, US Treasury among others.  While I am glad to see FIFA exposed, I do feel that we as a government have bigger problems and better things to do given the problems both here and globally.  I am curious as to how many resource the Prez has put on this...as it seems we have every agency working it.       

You could very well be right about this, Barack's ego knows no limits. However, current Attorney General Loretta E. Lynch  was investigating FIFA prior to her nomination. She was US Attorney for the Eastern District of New York which includes Wall street. Hence, the currency connection. Regardless, if she can bring down FIFA I'll be happy.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

YankeeJim

I'd add, expect FIFA to move it's accounts to the Cayman Islands and start dealing in Rubles.  :005:

Logicalman

Quote from: McBride78 on September 16, 2015, 01:48:34 PM
Quote from: Nick Bateman on September 15, 2015, 04:51:46 PM
One did not know American law is now International law and they can "arrest" people from anywhere, or if not, smear officials without any evidence as you have outlibed above.  In most cases outside of the U.S. this would constitute a breach of civil liberties and would prejudice any proposed trial.

Of course, all their multi-billionaires gorging themselves with corruptly acquired gains are not under any scrutiny from this politically motivated investigation with absolutely no interest in benefitting football, a sport these people know very little about!

Nick hits this on the head with "politically motivated".  We can talk about all the boring details, but bottom line is our sitting President was embarrassed by FIFA and is not beyond using his office to retaliate.  He personally went to pitch the USA hosting the world cup and failed.  I believe he feels corrupt countries unfairly won the opportunity to host those games, and Barack's ego was not going to let that go lightly.  Long story short, FIFA sold those world cups and our president is using his office against them through the use of the executive branch of our government, which controls the IRS, the Justice Department, FBI, CIA, US Treasury among others.  While I am glad to see FIFA exposed, I do feel that we as a government have bigger problems and better things to do given the problems both here and globally.  I am curious as to how many resource the Prez has put on this...as it seems we have every agency working it.       

I think you will find the investigation was commenced PRIOR to the events you claim are the underlying political reasons, resulting in the Chuck Blazer conviction and subsequent coercion in the investigation. To think that any evidence regarding of Blazer came to light only between Dec 2 and 10, 2010, is a stretch.

Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Forever Fulham

Everyone, start at page 131 of the indictment.  It lays out the actual criminal charges.   http://www.justice.gov/opa/file/450211/download

The bad guy doesn't have to be physically present.   It's his actions that matter.  For instance, the U.S. has warrants out for the arrest of six Chinese government employees operating out of a Chinese government building in mainland China that the U.S. identified as having systematically hacked into government and private business servers, stealing secrets, committing espionage. 

To suggest the reason for the U.S.'s interest in FIFA officials' bad acts (money laundering, wire fraud, RICO violations) is down to President Obama being miffed at losing the bid to host, well, I think that's a grand stretch.  The U.S. pays into FIFA.  But it gets only one vote, as does England.  FIFA's leadership found a way to consolidate its power by shmoozing banana republics, principalities, Oceanic  dots on a globe, each of them getting that same one vote apiece.  A recipe for easy vote rigging.  You can see from the indictment that a number of the bad actors were based in the U.S.  Some of that money was supposed to go to kids, to help build up footballing infrastructure, not to buy yachts, condos, chalets, and fatten Swiss and Cayman Island  bank accounts.  Soccer/football is growing like a weed in the U.S.  But the powers that be have diverted seed money that should be going to youth development, and have used it to enrich themselves.  I think the political impetus to go after such (allegedly) corrupt actors is far more than Obama being miffed over the U.S. not getting awarded a Cup venue.  To ascribe such imperiousness is just silly.  As others have noted, the investigation began before Obama came into the office.  I suspect U.S. political officials who participated in the pitch to host saw some very bizarre behaviour first hand and  likely resolved to do something about if and when the right opportunity arose.  And the investigation mushroomed with new findings, new facts.  So much so, that I can envision the White House making a call to the Justice Dept. to show its full support. 

Forever Fulham

For those of you interested in U.S. law pertaining to long-arm jurisdiction over the foreign national (called in personam jurisdiction), here are some good articles.  Of course, such jurisdiction is only as good as the extradition treaty in place with the foreign national's country of residence/citizenship.

http://scholarlycommons.law.cwsl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1367&context=cwilj
http://www.lacba.org/Files/Main%20Folder/Sections/International%20Law/Files/-%27Does%20The%20Shoe%20Fit%27%20California%20State%20Bar%20Journal.pdf

HatterDon

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 17, 2015, 12:27:59 AM
Quote from: HatterDon on September 15, 2015, 11:09:44 PM
Quote from: snarks on September 15, 2015, 07:50:32 PM
It may have something to do with money going through American banks or using american based servers to do the transactions. Their laws mean that using their infer structure is an offence in America or if it involves their citizens, ie if someone pays Blazer then that may be an offence too.

That's exactly what it is, and Mr. Watch knows that very well.

I couldn't help but notice you mentioned a Mr Watch.
His first name wouldn't be Ostrich would it by any chance. 

Always has been
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Nick Bateman

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 17, 2015, 01:30:53 PM
My understanding is that the investigation of EUFA is next on the Agenda, after giving them more time to Administer all unwanted Paper and Files and Administration through the Paper Shredder. It shouldn't take any longer than 5 Years.

I shall return to this topic after 5 years then, when nothing would have been done about corruption in UEFA as expected.  American governments have never been anti-corruption; these charges are only used on individuals or organisations they wish to undermine for other (political) reasons.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

YankeeJim

Quote from: Nick Bateman on September 17, 2015, 05:24:40 PM
My understanding is that the investigation of EUFA is next on the Agenda, after giving them more time to Administer all unwanted Paper and Files and Administration through the Paper Shredder. It shouldn't take any longer than 5 Years.

I shall return to this topic after 5 years then, when nothing would have been done about corruption in UEFA as expected.  American governments have never been anti-corruption; these charges are only used on individuals or organisations they wish to undermine for other (political) reasons.

Nick, you certainly are an optimist and have such a notable, high regard for all things American.

Forever Fulham

"When nothing would have been done."  The largest sponsors have gone public demanding major changes -  or else.  So, while we watch the noose slowly tighten around FIFA officials' collective neck, the most important party, the sponsors group, has spoken. 

Most of you haven't seen how a high profile federal prosecution works.  It's like a very powerful machine.  Get the popcorn and beverages ready.  This will be quite a spectacle.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: YankeeJim on September 17, 2015, 06:57:33 PM

I shall return to this topic after 5 years then, when nothing would have been done about corruption in UEFA as expected.  American governments have never been anti-corruption; these charges are only used on individuals or organisations they wish to undermine for other (political) reasons.

Nick, you certainly are an optimist and have such a notable, high regard for all things American.

I don't think Nick has forgiven Andrew Jackson regarding the battle of New Orleans in 1812, but then neither have I.
But you can't win them all.
I am all for chasing Septic Blatter and his band of cretins to the four corners of the earth, justice has to be done, and somebody had to take the reigns to prosecute them. So I am all for it, let's hope at the end of the day they get their just deserts, including that American bloke whose name escapes me, who Chucked his Blazer away when he turned States Evidence.
After that I hope Richard Kimble the Fugitive continues his search for the One Armed Man, who was last seen performing in a one legged arse kicking contest.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

love4ffc

Here I was under the impression that the English let us win.   :hook:
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

YankeeJim

Quote from: love4ffc on September 17, 2015, 09:02:08 PM
Here I was under the impression that the English let us win.   :hook:

Nah. They just felt guilty over burning the White House.

Woolly Mammoth

Now that I remember, yes we did let you win, well you were at home, and it was a hell of an away trip for us, but I was dissapointed not to get invited to the Boston Tea Party. 

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: love4ffc on September 17, 2015, 09:02:08 PM
Here I was under the impression that the English let us win.   :hook:

It was an unfair fight. You were hiding behind rocks and trees in your Davy Crocket hats, ducking and diving. Whereas we behaved like gentlemen and Marched in columns in the open in our bright Red Tunics.
So you pulled a fast one there with your dirty tricks department.
Also if that wasn't bad enough, King George believe or not was on holiday at the time, and his courtiers could not reach him, no O2 and mobile phones in those days, therefore lines of communication were not forthcoming.
If I had been Commander of our forces history would have been rewritten, mark my words.
Anyway please do not let Septic Bladder off the hook, I don't want you to still be hunting him down in ten years time, like the one armed man that the fugitive Richard Kimble is still pursuing.  

Never forget your Roots.

love4ffc

More fallout from the FIFA investigations. 

FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke 'released from his duties' for allegedly scalping World Cup tickets. 

Read more here. 
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/soccer/fifa-no-2-suspended-allegedly-scalping-world-cup-tix-article-1.2365027

To me this just keeps getting better and better.   :008:
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Forever Fulham

Yes, the #2 man at FIFA has just been relieved of his duties, effective immediately.    This is getting good. 

terryr

To think Blather seriously believed he was in line for a Nobel Peace prize  079.gif and was employing lobbyists to secure the goal, shows you the hubris at work here.
Its all coming tumbling down now.
What will the result be I wonder?
Many of the smaller nations and African delegates are expressing concern of being sidelined when the dust settles.
Will the football powers in Europe take everything over?
Interesting days ahead.

terryr

You're an interesting study in comedy and hubris Nick.
As ever we await your words of wisdom when you return to survey the situation and are in rapt anticipation of your evaluation of the results of the present developments.
I'm sure the American members of this board will take note of your shrewd observations and translate your advice into proper action at the polls come the presidential election.
How have we done without you for so long?
As always, thank you and may god bless the ground you walk on.

Logicalman

Quote from: MJG on September 25, 2015, 03:48:32 PM
Sepp in trouble today

Yeah, saw the news conference that never was to be, I see he's failed to 'negotiate' correctly with his previous friends in the Swiss Judiciary:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34363289
Swiss officials quiz Fifa President Sepp Blatter

Fifa President Sepp Blatter is currently being questioned by representatives of the Swiss attorney general, the BBC understands.
In a statement, the attorney general's office said it had opened "criminal proceedings" against Mr Blatter.

It said he was being investigated "on suspicion of criminal mismanagement as well as - alternatively - on suspicion of misappropriation".
Earlier, Fifa cancelled a press conference at its Zurich headquarters.

The Swiss attorney general's office said the investigation surrounds a TV rights deal Mr Blatter signed with former Caribbean football chief Jack Warner in 2005.
Mr Blatter is also suspected of "a disloyal payment" in 2011 to UEFA president Michel Platini, the statement said.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.