News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Similar to H4US, what's the most random instrument you can play?

Started by dannyboi-ffc, October 06, 2015, 08:49:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboi-ffc

You guys on twitter should try to get this trending on twitter # similar to H4US lol.

Hats off to anyone who can beat my musical talent. I'm not proud of this but I know how to play the bag pipes! I was in the Borough pipers which was a band for my local Catholic Church when I was about 11. I blame my family lol. We used to play in festivals and marches around London.  Haven't played them since I was about 14 and my family aren't even that religious but it's something I look back and laugh at now. I reckon it was punishment for being a little s#it growing up, they wanted me to lose my street cred.

Not many people know this so you're part of a dannyboi secret!

Can also play the recorder but that's not exactly hard. Wish i knew how to play the drums. Come on someone own up......who can play the triangle???
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Holders

What sort of pipes? I'm rather fond of Uilleann, Northumbrian and Breton.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

ron

I remember someone quipping that; "The definition of a Scottish gentleman is a Scotsman who can play the bagpipes....but who doesn't...."

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: ron on October 06, 2015, 09:30:45 AM
I remember someone quipping that; "The definition of a Scottish gentleman is a Scotsman who can play the bagpipes....but who doesn't...."

I'm not Scottish though lol! That's what makes it random. Can anyone play the spoons?

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Berserker

Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Holders

Burt

At various times in my life I have done the piano, church organ, acoustic guitar, and kettle drums. And I am quite good on the spoons Danny  :dft011:

mrmicawbers

Was a Sea Cadet and played in the band.Bugle and side drum.Suprised a few Fulham fans at an away game when i sort of managed to get a tune out of a French horn that was on the wall of the pub.With the owners permission of course :drums: :beer:

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

I was thrown out of the school orchestra for "out of time triangle playing"
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

jarv

I have a piano, my wife (deceased) used to play. I can't sell it, give it away,(or move it) so I have piano lessons booked this month. Why not? Never too old and my mother was a wonderful pianist so maybe I will find a hidden talent.

The Equalizer

"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

alfie

violin and piano (badly)

I did used to manage a band back in late 60's/early 70's they were call "the missing links" and to be honest that was the trouble they went missing far to often and found it hard to get them a decent booking, the old saying they had potential was true just not the commitment. Just realised i could have been worth a fortune now.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

WayneKerrins

HatterDon

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Snibbo

Tin whistle. When you play in a noisy Irish pub, nobody can hear you, but the landlord still usually gives you a few free pints of Guinness

Holders

Quote from: Snibbo on October 07, 2015, 06:41:04 AM
Tin whistle. When you play in a noisy Irish pub, nobody can hear you, but the landlord still usually gives you a few free pints of Guinness

It's a wonderful instrument played well but far from as easy as many people think.

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: Holders on October 06, 2015, 09:00:37 AM

Haven't got a clue mate to be honest lol. I haven't played them for 13 years and even when I did I don't remember ever being taught the difference between different types of pipes. I would still know how to play them if I was to try but I would need my memory refreshed on which note was what. 

Do you play them then?

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Holders

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on October 07, 2015, 04:08:44 AM
Quote from: Holders on October 06, 2015, 11:43:09 AM
So, what type of pipes do you play Danny?

Drain Pipes

I was being serious, I'd really like to know. Danny seems a bit embarrassed by it but I reckon it's a real skill of which he should be proud. As he hasn't answered I assume he plays the Highland pipes but even so. Do check out Uilleann, Northumbrian and Breton (Leicester as well if you like) for comparison. The differences are amazing but they're all bagpipes.

A friend once made a set of pipes from an old M&S bag and plumbing fittings, reeds cut from plastic cups. They actually worked and he played them in pub sessions. Over the weeks they developed, I think he took comments on board, and they appeared one evening encased in a cat-shaped hot-water bottle cover with the legs as chanter and drones and the blow-tube connected to the posterior fundamental orifice. Most appropriate, I thought. And all this culture could be experienced and enjoyed not 30 miles from Fulham.

Holders

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on October 07, 2015, 07:50:33 AM
Quote from: Holders on October 06, 2015, 09:00:37 AM

Haven't got a clue mate to be honest lol. I haven't played them for 13 years and even when I did I don't remember ever being taught the difference between different types of pipes. I would still know how to play them if I was to try but I would need my memory refreshed on which note was what. 

Do you play them then?

Hi mate.

Sorry, your post must have crossed with mine. No I don't play pipes but see my response to WM above. Do check out Uilleann players and Kathryn Tickell on Northumbrian.

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: Holders on October 07, 2015, 07:50:38 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on October 07, 2015, 04:08:44 AM
Quote from: Holders on October 06, 2015, 11:43:09 AM
So, what type of pipes do you play Danny?

Drain Pipes

I was being serious, I'd really like to know. Danny seems a bit embarrassed by it but I reckon it's a real skill of which he should be proud. As he hasn't answered I assume he plays the Highland pipes but even so. Do check out Uilleann, Northumbrian and Breton (Leicester as well if you like) for comparison. The differences are amazing but they're all bagpipes.

A friend once made a set of pipes from an old M&S bag and plumbing fittings, reeds cut from plastic cups. They actually worked and he played them in pub sessions. Over the weeks they developed, I think he took comments on board, and thye appeared on evening encased in a cat-shaped hot-water bottle cover with the legs as chanter and drones and the blow-tube connected to the posterior fundamental orifice. Most appropriate, I thought. And all this could be experienced and enjoyed not 30 miles from Fulham.

I've answered above mate. Didn't see the post yesterday.  And yes I was embarrassed. Not because I'm anti Scottish or anything like that but growing up in bermondsey it really isn't great for a local teenager in secondary school to make it public he plays the bag pipes in a band and has to wear a kilt or to ignorant people a skirt.

I agree though it is a skill. If you can play the recorder or the flute I'd say you have every chance of being able to learn them. You basically just blow into the pipe to keep the bag under your arm full and the air comes out the other side where you hold a recorder. That's it on basic terms. Only difference is you need to be concentrating 100% because unlike a recorder you can't stop the air. One lapse and it can sound ridiculous.

That's how I learnt them, they just gave me the recorder end for about 6 months until I could master the tunes. Once you can do that t the rest is easy.

I have a funny story about my daughter now 8. When she was in nursery we wanted her to take music lessons. I wanted her to have a musical talent and thought starting young was the best way. We sat her down and asked her which one she really wanted to learn. She paused for a few seconds with a really serious look on her face. I thought "this is promising, she's really thinking about this".........and what did she say she wanted to learn???......... the triangle! She'd obviously seen one in nursery or something but of all the bloody instruments lol. Only my daughter could do that

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]