News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Similar to H4US, what's the most random instrument you can play?

Started by dannyboi-ffc, October 06, 2015, 08:49:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holders

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on October 07, 2015, 08:02:08 AM
Quote from: Holders on October 07, 2015, 07:50:38 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on October 07, 2015, 04:08:44 AM
Quote from: Holders on October 06, 2015, 11:43:09 AM
So, what type of pipes do you play Danny?

Drain Pipes

I was being serious, I'd really like to know. Danny seems a bit embarrassed by it but I reckon it's a real skill of which he should be proud. As he hasn't answered I assume he plays the Highland pipes but even so. Do check out Uilleann, Northumbrian and Breton (Leicester as well if you like) for comparison. The differences are amazing but they're all bagpipes.

A friend once made a set of pipes from an old M&S bag and plumbing fittings, reeds cut from plastic cups. They actually worked and he played them in pub sessions. Over the weeks they developed, I think he took comments on board, and thye appeared on evening encased in a cat-shaped hot-water bottle cover with the legs as chanter and drones and the blow-tube connected to the posterior fundamental orifice. Most appropriate, I thought. And all this could be experienced and enjoyed not 30 miles from Fulham.

I've answered above mate. Didn't see the post yesterday.  And yes I was embarrassed. Not because I'm anti Scottish or anything like that but growing up in bermondsey it really isn't great for a local teenager in secondary school to make it public he plays the bag pipes in a band and has to wear a kilt or to ignorant people a skirt.

I agree though it is a skill. If you can play the recorder or the flute I'd say you have every chance of being able to learn them. You basically just blow into the pipe to keep the bag under your arm full and the air comes out the other side where you hold a recorder. That's it on basic terms. Only difference is you need to be concentrating 100% because unlike a recorder you can't stop the air. One lapse and it can sound ridiculous.

That's how I learnt them, they just gave me the recorder end for about 6 months until I could master the tunes. Once you can do that t the rest is easy.

I have a funny story about my daughter now 8. When she was in nursery we wanted her to take music lessons. I wanted her to have a musical talent and thought starting young was the best way. We sat her down and asked her which one she really wanted to learn. She paused for a few seconds with a really serious look on her face. I thought "this is promising, she's really thinking about this".........and what did she say she wanted to learn???......... the triangle! She'd obviously seen one in nursery or something but of all the bloody instruments lol. Only my daughter could do that

I'd give my right arm to play the fiddle.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: Holders on October 07, 2015, 08:07:10 AM

Drain Pipes

I was being serious, I'd really like to know. Danny seems a bit embarrassed by it but I reckon it's a real skill of which he should be proud. As he hasn't answered I assume he plays the Highland pipes but even so. Do check out Uilleann, Northumbrian and Breton (Leicester as well if you like) for comparison. The differences are amazing but they're all bagpipes.

A friend once made a set of pipes from an old M&S bag and plumbing fittings, reeds cut from plastic cups. They actually worked and he played them in pub sessions. Over the weeks they developed, I think he took comments on board, and thye appeared on evening encased in a cat-shaped hot-water bottle cover with the legs as chanter and drones and the blow-tube connected to the posterior fundamental orifice. Most appropriate, I thought. And all this could be experienced and enjoyed not 30 miles from Fulham.

I've answered above mate. Didn't see the post yesterday.  And yes I was embarrassed. Not because I'm anti Scottish or anything like that but growing up in bermondsey it really isn't great for a local teenager in secondary school to make it public he plays the bag pipes in a band and has to wear a kilt or to ignorant people a skirt.

I agree though it is a skill. If you can play the recorder or the flute I'd say you have every chance of being able to learn them. You basically just blow into the pipe to keep the bag under your arm full and the air comes out the other side where you hold a recorder. That's it on basic terms. Only difference is you need to be concentrating 100% because unlike a recorder you can't stop the air. One lapse and it can sound ridiculous.

That's how I learnt them, they just gave me the recorder end for about 6 months until I could master the tunes. Once you can do that t the rest is easy.

I have a funny story about my daughter now 8. When she was in nursery we wanted her to take music lessons. I wanted her to have a musical talent and thought starting young was the best way. We sat her down and asked her which one she really wanted to learn. She paused for a few seconds with a really serious look on her face. I thought "this is promising, she's really thinking about this".........and what did she say she wanted to learn???......... the triangle! She'd obviously seen one in nursery or something but of all the bloody instruments lol. Only my daughter could do that

Are you left handed because it could be a pointless swap otherwise lol. Talking of left handed, I am but I can use both hands for pretty much anything and I'm right footed. Explain that one. A man of many talents me.............
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Holders

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on October 07, 2015, 08:15:45 AM
Quote from: Holders on October 07, 2015, 08:07:10 AM

Drain Pipes

I've answered above mate. Didn't see the post yesterday.  And yes I was embarrassed. Not because I'm anti Scottish or anything like that but growing up in bermondsey it really isn't great for a local teenager in secondary school to make it public he plays the bag pipes in a band and has to wear a kilt or to ignorant people a skirt.

Are you left handed because it could be a pointless swap otherwise lol. Talking of left handed, I am but I can use both hands for pretty much anything and I'm right footed. Explain that one. A man of many talents me.............

Does that mean that it doesn't matter to you whether you drive your bus on the left or right?

dannyboi-ffc

Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

grandad

My father kept telling me to stop playing the fool. I was pretty good at it.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Holders

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on October 07, 2015, 02:32:17 PM

Drain Pipes

A friend once made a set of pipes from an old M&S bag and plumbing fittings, reeds cut from plastic cups. They actually worked and he played them in pub sessions. Over the weeks they developed, I think he took comments on board, and they appeared one evening encased in a cat-shaped hot-water bottle cover with the legs as chanter and drones and the blow-tube connected to the posterior fundamental orifice. Most appropriate, I thought. And all this culture could be experienced and enjoyed not 30 miles from Fulham.

I bet he was popular, let's hope he put a sock in it.

The cat allusion is to cat strangling, if it's necessary to explain. Curiously (another cat allusion), he actually sold them for £30 a set so who was more stupid? It was a gimmick, bagpipes that worked made out of what were visibly plumbing fittings - 22mm compressions, the lot.