watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Managers with Championship promotion experience:

Started by FPT, November 24, 2015, 11:22:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FPT

A list I made at some point last season, excluding 14/15 this is everybody who has ever been promoted from the "Championship" so excluding the old First Division days. The top four? The only managers to be promoted twice in the last 10 years. The list has gone in order of promotion year and then way of promotion, and then also where they are now (a few are out of date).

So, to those asking for somebody with promotion experience - here are your men. *Though Mike Rigg never stated Championship experience in his interview, he did state proven results and success but division was not mentioned. Plus, Steve Clarke? When just him, he's seen no 'success'

Asotosyios

If you take into account those who are currently unemployed, this is a very underwhelming list (with the exception of di Matteo and perhaps Rodgers).

FPT

Quote from: Asotosyios on November 24, 2015, 01:20:03 PM
If you take into account those who are currently unemployed, this is a very underwhelming list (with the exception of di Matteo and perhaps Rodgers).

Can you imagine the reaction if we decided to appoint Paul Jewell or Steve Coppell because they've previously been promoted?

Asotosyios

Quote from: FPT on November 24, 2015, 01:59:08 PM

Can you imagine the reaction if we decided to appoint Paul Jewell or Steve Coppell because they've previously been promoted?

I don't even want to think about it! As I have written in a different thread, we should forget the whole "Championship experience" criterion and go for someone that suits our overall philosophy as a club.

sunburywhite

I have said all along we need to go for Di Matteo
and Montella
and Moyes
and Pearson

OK, I give up
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

jarv

Holloway has done it twice has he not? OK, he is no good in the premier but we are not in the premier..give him 2 years and then go for a "proven" premier manager when we get there. OK, maybe 3 years....or more. Besides, his teams play good attacking football, his downfall in the end I suspect.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: sunburywhite on November 24, 2015, 02:19:17 PM
I have said all along we need to go for Di Matteo
and Montella
and Moyes
and Pearson

OK, I give up

According to the Veysey interview, Steve Bruce was our 1st choice when we hired Kit. Hull offered him 1 million/season and immediately put him out of our price range. Using that as a reference, that eliminates Moyes for sure, Di Matteo as well, Montella also (though he's already signed w Sampdoria), which leaves Pearson who doesn't feel comfortable signing without his two coaches who are going to be ridiculously expensive to pry away from LC - assuming they would even want to leave which they won't.

Much easier to say "go and sign 'em up Rigg!" than it is to actually get it done.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

HatterDon

Quote from: jarv on November 24, 2015, 02:45:13 PM
Holloway has done it twice has he not? OK, he is no good in the premier but we are not in the premier..give him 2 years and then go for a "proven" premier manager when we get there. OK, maybe 3 years....or more. Besides, his teams play good attacking football, his downfall in the end I suspect.

I could go for Holloway. What Mr. Jarv says about his teams' attacking style is true, and he gives the most entertaining post-match interviews since Gordon Strachan
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

FPT

Yes he has, hence why he's in the promoted twice section up at the top. I think he's tactically very simple though, plus he loves having digs at Fulham... This past week, when manager of Millwall - he made digs about how we spend all this money and we didn't see the talent of Matthew Briggs...

St. Andrews White

^^^

Well the above about Briggs is true.

Yes he needed nurturing but he had the potential to be an excellent LB and solve the crisis we had before the summer loan deals of Husband and Garbutt.
The Intertoto might not exist anymore, but that doesn't matter. We'll still win it again.

Apprentice to the Maestro

Quote from: Asotosyios on November 24, 2015, 02:15:51 PM
Quote from: FPT on November 24, 2015, 01:59:08 PM

I don't even want to think about it! As I have written in a different thread, we should forget the whole "Championship experience" criterion and go for someone that suits our overall philosophy as a club.

Please, yes.

Plus most of those with 'Championship experience' have not succeeded when they have reached the Premiership. What is the point of getting promoted to get relegated or have another major upheaval while we try to get a suitable manager with 'Premiership experience'?

We need to get someone that, as you say, suits our philosophy and will be here for the medium to long term.

Quote from: HatterDon on November 24, 2015, 02:52:38 PM

I could go for Holloway. What Mr. Jarv says about his teams' attacking style is true, and he gives the most entertaining post-match interviews since Gordon Strachan

The trouble is, apart from any other views of Holloway, is that our problems are in defence and that is not his strong point.

Weren't they great cries of "Anybody but Holloway" when we were looking for a manager after Jol.

I think some posters need to take a step back and really think about who we should get before we lurch into another manager who will cause us to regret our decision in six months time (or even sooner).

Arthur

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on November 24, 2015, 02:49:48 PM
According to the Veysey interview, Steve Bruce was our 1st choice when we hired Kit. Hull offered him 1 million/season and immediately put him out of our price range.

£1 million per season works out at £20K per week. I find it hard to believe that we can't we afford that. As we only need one 'Head Coach', it's not as if it would set a precedent that allows others within the Club to demand parity and so risk ruining us financially.

filham

Interesting but perhaps the list we should be looking at is one containing only those prepared to come to us and accept our wages and contract conditions. It maybe rather shorter.

Quote from: Arthur on November 24, 2015, 04:43:33 PM
According to the Veysey interview, Steve Bruce was our 1st choice when we hired Kit. Hull offered him 1 million/season and immediately put him out of our price range.

£1 million per season works out at £20K per week. I find it hard to believe that we can't we afford that. As we only need one 'Head Coach', it's not as if it would set a precedent that allows others within the Club to demand parity and so risk ruining us financially.

I agree.

How much are we paying McCormack (and Parker)? Managers at that sort of rate, like goalkeepers, seem to be undervalued compared to many ordinary outfield players, particularly forwards.

MAF seemed to go for managers above our status and we need to be bold and sell our ambition to a quality manager or one with potential (while keeping our overall budget within FFP).

filham

Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on November 24, 2015, 04:53:46 PM

I agree.

How much are we paying McCormack (and Parker)? Managers at that sort of rate, like goalkeepers, seem to be undervalued compared to many ordinary outfield players, particularly forwards.

MAF seemed to go for managers above our status and we need to be bold and sell our ambition to a quality manager or one with potential (while keeping our overall budget within FFP).

MAF always seemed to get his man, I can't remember anyone saying no to him.

ToodlesMcToot

I agree.

In response to you both, I wouldn't disagree with you. However, that is what was said. Veysey came across as well informed and honest in his assessment of our current situation. That's not me saying that he is 100% accurate. None of us have any way of knowing really. As I said, Veysey came across as believable and I was just using his information to give context to the possibility of signing some of the options given.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: filham on November 24, 2015, 05:04:57 PM

I agree.

MAF always seemed to get his man, I can't remember anyone saying no to him.

MAF never dealt with FL financial restrictions (FFP) and transfer embargoes for ignoring them. I don't know if we are so financially strapped that we can't fit a million pound managerial signing in or not. I don't know if 1 million exceeds some internal restriction either. Just stating that one truth.

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on November 24, 2015, 05:08:51 PM

I agree.

In response to you both, I wouldn't disagree with you. However, that is what was said. Veysey came across as well informed and honest in his assessment of our current situation. That's not me saying that he is 100% accurate. None of us have any way of knowing really. As I said, Veysey came across as believable and I was just using his information to give context to the possibility of signing some of the options given.

I don't think either of us are disagreeing with you or Veysey.

I was just making the general point that compared to players salaries those of managers can seem modest given the influence of a good manager.

I would add that the cost can add up quickly given payments to the outgoing manager and coaches and the need to buy in the new manager's team so it is not always just down to the salary of the new manager.

Nero

Off the list I go for Mowbray, doing well at Coventry but happy with the rumoured Rowett