watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR The Bridge

Started by Peabody, November 24, 2015, 06:26:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

Anyone watch it on BBC4 on Saturday? Really was very good.

HV71

Really one of the best programmes on TV . Series 1 & 2 were fantastic and I hope this one will be as good given ( Martin ) isn't in it. Anyone who hasn't seen it I urge you to do so  - Peabody is spot on . Has made many Saturdays over the past few years a bit more bearable - if you get my drift

Carborundum

Yes, it's very good indeed.  If you haven't seen Series 1, it's surely one of the best things on TV in the past 10 years.  Series 3 is shaping up nicely, although I will miss the portrayal of Martin, a middle aged man just on the cusp of turning from macho to shambling.  For some reason he always reminded me of a hairy Marten Jol.

BestOfBrede

What's it about?
It's good to have recommendations but the subject matter will determine whether people are interested or not.
E.g if it's about our neighbours, which is the impression I got from the title of the thread, then I would not be interested.

Carborundum

Quote from: BestOfBrede on November 24, 2015, 08:55:50 PM
What's it about?
It's good to have recommendations but the subject matter will determine whether people are interested or not.
E.g if it's about our neighbours, which is the impression I got from the title of the thread, then I would not be interested.
Scandinavian cop drama.  Lead character has Aspergers, which is handled in a thought provoking way.  Lots of dead bods, but that's true of practically every crime drama.  Plot rattles along. 

Cinematography very distinctive - everything is rendered utterly joyless.  No other similarity with Chelsea FC detected.

Peabody

Quote from: Carborundum on November 24, 2015, 09:43:19 PM
Quote from: BestOfBrede on November 24, 2015, 08:55:50 PM
What's it about?
Scandinavian cop drama.  Lead character has Aspergers, which is handled in a thought provoking way.  Lots of dead bods, but that's true of practically every crime drama.  Plot rattles along. 

Cinematography very distinctive - everything is rendered utterly joyless.  No other similarity with Chelsea FC detected.

Couldn't have put it better myself,

HV71

You won't get 'The Blues'  - well not in that way. Great summary already posted - Scandi noir . It is a bit about " neighbours as 'The Bridge' refers to the Oresund bridge that connects Denmark with Sweden. The cops from both sides have to cooperate with each other - which isn't always easy. If you had ever been to a Denmark Sweden game you would get it - just like us vs our neighbours !

Tak sa myket !

RaySmith

The lead character makes it - the actor manages just to keep it the right side of parody, though you have to laugh sometimes at someone who takes everything literally, and seemingly has no emotions - though it is strongly suggested in this series particularly, that their emotions are repressed  due to some kind of childhood trauma.

But the character is  believable in the context of the series, though like Carrie Mathieson, in the also brilliant, imo, Homeland, in real life there is no chance that either of these two women would have a chance of becoming a top police officer, or atop CIA agent, with the serious conditions they suffer from.

But both series are so well made and acted, that you suspend  disbelief when watching them, and it is the instability of these female characters, who are also brilliant at their jobs, that really makes both series so edgily watchable.

Also a brilliantly compelling thriller is the new series of Fargo. In fact, for me this is the most edge of the seat viewing of  the lot, though also very violent, as is the way these days, as Carborundum says above.

HV71

Is Fargo filmed in Wells ?

BestOfBrede

Thanks chaps, I may well give it a watch
Cheers

Steven Ageroad

It's not a patch on Spiral, new series due soon.

Wolf

Quote from: Steven Ageroad on November 25, 2015, 10:44:55 AM
It's not a patch on Spiral, new series due soon.

Is it? The gaps between series of Spiral have been a steady 2 years. Series 5 was the start of this year. I'd be very pleased if another series is along sooner.
Hates: the Hounslow maggots

Airfix

Sofia Helin is BRILLIANT, there is no better word for it.  She is so believable, it is hard to believe that she does not have Asperger's herself.  Her portrayal of a woman trying to make sense of the way that we all operate is genius.  Combine that with the desaturated cinematography and supporting case make Bron a must-watch.

What I particularly like about this and other similar shows (Witnesses, Arne Dahl et al) is that, not knowing the actors means that you don't go in with preconceptions about what kind of character they are.  It means that it is all fresh and exciting.

HV71

Arne Dahl was very good as was the Martin Beck series.

The Equalizer

I was very tempted to not bother watching it after the departure of Kim Bodnia. He really made the first two seasons with his stunned or bemused looks during repartee with Sofia Helin. The bits where they just got in a car and drove off, and the conversations that took place in those few moments, really made me chuckle.

I will give it a go though, purely on the strength of the first two seasons.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Huxley

Loving her new partner. Without giving anything away, at first i was wt£?, who would do that... then it clicked...  great series! Although it really annoys me that she always finds a car park right outside the entrance of the cop station or wherever she goes.

TheManOnTheBus

Quote from: TheGreatGatsby on November 25, 2015, 01:35:40 PM
... Although it really annoys me that she always finds a car park right outside the entrance of the cop station or wherever she goes.

such a beautiful car deserves to be parked right outside the door.....

copthornemike

Just to make the subject a little bit Fulhamish all the 'Bridge shots' remind me of the Europa League match in Copenhagen where the car I was in made a wrong turn and we nearly ended up on the bridge and so would have ended up in Sweden.

Not often you simply get lost and nearly end up in the wrong country!

Beautiful place Copenhagen by the way - friendly locals and lots and lots of bikes everywhere. In fact I am surprised that the TV series doesn't involve a series of exciting bike chases!

alfie

Not having seen the prog, is it any way along the lines of Fortitude?, that series was so slow, but it kept dragging me in each week.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

ToodlesMcToot

We have the Americanized version of "The Bridge" here in The States. US and Mexico instead of Sweden/Denmark. I've watch some but not enough to get pulled in. I'm more interested in the Euro version (original). Anyone know if that is available (recorded I'd imagine) in the Americas???

Also, since you folks seem so interested in crime dramas/thrillers, I'd suggest watching the first season of True Detective (HBO). Absolutely fantastic IMHO. Second season I think fell flat but in no way was it a continuation of the first season - an entirely new plot line. So the first season is one and done. Very, very good though.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude