watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Mike Rigg - Not great reading at all. Hopefully he isn't as destructive here

Started by mike_corkcity12, November 27, 2015, 12:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_corkcity12

"There were new people around. We were introduced to a new structure. A guy called Shaun Hallett was introduced as the Academy Manager and Mike Rigg was Technical Director. I had never heard of either of them. The tone of this presentation was in complete stark contrast to the one delivered by the chairman and put everyone on the back foot. This guy in jeans and tweed jacket seemed to have little to smile about wanted to immediately intimidate everyone.

The other, Shaun Hallett looked suarve in his open top shirt. He said about his senior background and described his success in making things happen, but he wasn't from a football background. Mike Rigg got a flipchart out and began his speech which we would later hear repeated several times. These guys were not interested in anyone's experience, advice or feedback. They were not interested in QPR's heritage, history or success stories. They were going to deliver a strategy and this was how it's going to happen.

In that presentation I was amazed to hear Mike Riggs description of his background. He gloated that he and his people were responsible for turning Man City around. He described them as a Palace where inside lived a "dysfunctional family". He claimed that he had managed to fix that and this enabled them to win the league. Some staff member nudged me and said, yeah he also managed to spend nearly £300m in the process. In that meeting we were clearly told some home truths. "Change is going to happen, you will support it and get behind it. If you don't like it, there's the door. For everyone of you there are a thousand other people that would jump in your place. You either get on the bus, or get off, it's your choice"

"The next twist came with the appearance of Richard Allen. Another person I had not heard of. We were told he had come from Spurs and that he was head of recruitment. He was someone close to Mike Rigg and he brought him in. Within a short time there was some disagreement and we were aware of an atmosphere between these guys. I understand a falling out had happened with Mike Rigg, Glyn Hodges and Shaun Hallett. They would be glaring at each other across the room, mumbling under their breath or sit behind a desk with a face like thunder.

You would turn up for work happy and within 10 minutes you could feel the atmosphere and it was depressing. The ironic thing was that this was now the "Dysfunctional Family".  The outcome of this was that Shaun then disappeared and Richard Allen was announced another, Head of Academy. These became a tight three and later a tight four with Nick Dawes added to mix as 18's assistant coach. On the ground, I was a mere U14 lead coach and simply got on with my job. Despite the challenges and hurdles we tried to get on with the Job of coaching and developing players."

"Since then I see Richard Allen is moving to the FA to join Mike Rigg. To me that is like the abuser's joining the social services or the police. This perhaps is systematic of our games downfall. This is the organisation telling us all how to do it."

http://tonymccool.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/academy-football-coach-my-time-in-my.html

Horsfield_No9

This stuff doesn't surprise me. He comes off as a bit of a bully in the Fulham videos. not sure I'd want to get on the wrong side of him.
First game: Fulham 4 Burnley 0, December 12th 1998.

J

Tony McCool?? I just skim read the whole article and in part he comes across as someone who couldn't cope when some of his mates lost their jobs and with big changes that were happening. Also his son got "unfairly treated" in the academy. And he eventually resigned from his position.

For context these comments were all about when QPR got money and were implementing massive change in their facilities - lots of new staff, some old ones leaving, new ways of working etc.

Don't get me wrong, there could possibly be some, or even a lot of truth in what he is saying, but I am taking it with massive pinches of salt as he is hardly neutral.

alexmur

Quote from: J on November 27, 2015, 01:58:11 PM
Tony McCool?? I just skim read the whole article and in part he comes across as someone who couldn't cope when some of his mates lost their jobs and with big changes that were happening. Also his son got "unfairly treated" in the academy. And he eventually resigned from his position.

For context these comments were all about when QPR got money and were implementing massive change in their facilities - lots of new staff, some old ones leaving, new ways of working etc.

Don't get me wrong, there could possibly be some, or even a lot of truth in what he is saying, but I am taking it with massive pinches of salt as he is hardly neutral.
I'll also have some of your salt, very hard to take the word of a disgruntled ex employee

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

jarv

I read most of it (skimmed a few pieces) and agree he seems to be an employee not too happy to embrace changes. However, QPR have been in a bit of a mess themselves in the last few years so not surprising changes were needed.

I did not like the fact that, if all the rumours are to be believed, Fulham actually appears to be in a worse mess than QPR. Very worrying. I hope it can all be fixed and some stability appears on the horizon.

General

He's here - I'm not fully aware of what his job is specifically. our Academy has Wigley back and looks like results have taken a turn for the better. How we look moving forward and depends on who we bring in as manager next?