https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Just got "Let Go" from work

Started by rogerpbackinMidEastUS, November 29, 2015, 11:36:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

HV71

So really sorry to hear that Roger - one of the worst feelings in life. Try and keep your chin up -you are always one of the most cheerful and positive on the forum. Take care

Peabody

YankeeJim

Sadly age discrimination is rampant in US business today. Wages have fallen terribly for the average worker. I didn't get a raise the last five years I worked and still was making better than two times the hiring in wage. They first cut my department and effectively demoted me. The salary was the same but by busting me down I got into the rotation to work evening and weekends; something I hadn't done for twenty years. They then promoted several younger, illiterate yes men and I began reporting to them.
One of the arse holes copied (email) the man in charge in California whenever he thought he found errors so I had to address and correct him. It wasn't hard to do (he was as I described) but it was time consuming and on my time. I wanted to work to my full retirement age of 66 which would have meant a bigger pension and more time for my 401k to recover from the stock market crash of 07-08. I went out at 65 and had I stayed I would have retired in a much better position. At the time, I was more concerned about my mental and physical health so I hung it up. I did find a part time job that pays fairly well and honestly I could have been a lot worse off.
Roger, to quote an old saw, "when one door closes, another opens." You will come out of this well and be pointing your pen at prosperity in no time at all. Cheers mate.

I'll call Khan and let him know you are available.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Pluto

Happened to me too last month and was a real shock. Absolutely knocked the wind out of me so I know how you feel but trying to think of the positives (more time with the family, chance to look at doing something new etc) has been helping. Chin up buddy! :)

J.Perkins

I've heard of an opening for a job in the Putney area. Visit http://www.fulhamfc.com/home.aspx for more info.

HatterDon

Same thing happened to me in August 2008 at age 62. Our "robust economy" was swirling down the drain, my retirement account lost about 2/3rds its funding in the previous three months, and I went from $90k a year to $300 a week unemployment. I still had a strong reputation in my field, and got all sorts of short term contracting jobs -- for less than half of what I was paying folk for a year earlier -- but nobody would hire me full time because (a) I was too old for the level of job I had and (b) they thought I'd be bored/unproductive in an entry level job as about 1/3 of what I was making before I was fired.

Eventually, I finally took my social security [at a reduced rate]. By that time, all I was hearing from our right wingers was that people like me were too lazy to get a job because unemployment was so lucrative that it was a disincentive to get work.  After significantly cutting back on my lifestyle, and HatterMom getting a second paying gig, I stopped looking, concentrated on volunteer work and made some extra income via music, acting, and voice work.

The BEST thing I had going for me was that I had been working out of a home office since 1998. I was one of the first "telecommuters" in my industry, and my wife and I had no problem with me suddenly being in the house.

The best thing YOU can do is recognize that your time as a full-time salaried worker on good wages based on your knowledge, skills, intelligence, and experience is over. It's time to find something else to occupy half of your working life.

It could be worse, Roger. We could be fresh out of college with a wife and young children, saddled with tons of college debt and a job market paying less and demanding more hours. Things don't look like getting better financially unless you were born to a millionaire or are really good at Lotto.

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Forever Fulham

Sorry to hear that, Roger.  Did you have any inkling it was in the works or a likelihood?  I'm sure I don't have to tell you that age discrimination in the workplace is very real, and that employers will try to create the pretext of a facially neutral reason for your termination, such as an across-the-board cut in headcount, or the elimination of the position you held, claiming it, not you, is now redundant. But what you might not know is that employers would rather settle an age discrimination case for a nuisance value (an amount to which you likely wouldn't object) rather than spend time and money to litigate it.  Unless you think you deserved to be fired, you should give it some thought  --  the idea of bringing a claim against your ex-employer.  You're in the D.C. area, yes?  If so, I have a cousin who does labor law, including wrongful discharge cases.  He's in D.C.  and he's on his own (formerly with a firm).  Send me a personal msg if you want his contact info.  Chin up. 

dannyboi-ffc

Sorry to hear that Roger. I always try to believe everything happens for a reason, so hopefully something good will come of this for you.
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

bog

You have my sympathy Roger. Personally I am glad I am out of the work place (Born 1945) I would not like to be 16 now and beginning work. One is less than even a number these days.  Good luck.

092.gif

Wimbledon_White

Sorry to hear that Roger.

Looking for a silver lining to this obvious cloud; will this give you the opportunity to do something new? Or something you've always wanted to but never had the time?

If life gives you lemons...

Burt

The important thing is how you react.

It's happened to me before and the mistake I made was allowing myself to go through a "life's a bitch, woe is me" reaction for as long as I did. Reacting in that way is inevitable, so prepare for it and go through it, but make sure it doesn't hold you back for too long.

As others have already said, although it may not seem like it at the time, whilst this particular door has closed, others will open...

RaySmith

Burt is right-look on it as a time to explore other options, work and leisure.

I'm also 66, on a pension, and haven't worked for a bit, but I keep physically fit with cycling and running.

Exercise definitely helps me to deal with problems of anxiety and depression.

NogoodBoyo

Sorry to hear that, Roger.  The only advice I can give is to try to find a way to work for yourself.
Nogood "you have a better class of boss that way, isit" Boyo

alfie

I got "let go" from Fulham, best thing that ever happened.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

epsomraver

Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on November 29, 2015, 11:36:02 PM
Ouch at nearly 66

I thought you said you ran your own business and employed people yourself?

epsomraver

Quote from: alfie on November 30, 2015, 11:52:11 AM
I got "let go" from Fulham, best thing that ever happened.

Your pot cleaning rate Alfie was below expectations ? :005:

andy

Very sorry to hear your news. Never pleasant to be 'let go' increasingly difficult to re-focus as the years slip by. I don't have any particular wisdom here but I do know you need to stay very positive and decide what you want to do next. 66 is the new 35 and all that, you are still a young man, and the world remains an oyster.

jarv

Sorry to hear that Roger. Personally, I have never been "let go" but did have a horrible experience with my last employer. the guy was a lazy so and so and a real jerk. (from Middlesborough). OK, that is not relevant.  He made my life so difficult I walked out but sued for constructive dismissal. I won, set up on my own and took all my business with me. I had the last laugh, his company shut their doors in less than a year. Since then, I have never been happier with my work. You will come out of this better off.

MJG

Sorry to read that. My father was made surplus to requirements in the summer and was  let go at 67. They have given him a good deal and after his cancer last year he can't fault the company for helping him throughout that time,
But while he had been expecting it,for the first time since the 70's he was told ' your not needed' and he found that initially hard to deal with.
But now I'm glad he's officially retired, and can now relax from work and concentrate on things he enjoys.

Good luck Roger