Swansea City told to forget about Brian Stock
Aug 4 2010 by Staff Reporter, Western Mail
SWANSEA CITY were last night told to forget about signing Welsh international midfielder Brian Stock, with Doncaster manager Sean O’Driscoll insisting the player is going nowhere.
It’s understood Stock is high up on the list of new Swans manager Brendan Rodgers’ wanted men, but O’Driscoll maintains that rather than him heading for South Wales, negotiations are taking place about a new contract at Rovers.
Stock is entering the final year of his current deal at Keepmoat Stadium, a situation that alerted Rodgers.
O’Driscoll confirmed that the Liberty Stadium boss has been in touch, but has been told flatly that the former Bournemouth and Preston midfielder will not be leaving the South Yorkshire side.
The Rovers manager accepts that it can be unsettling for players when they enter the final stages of their contracts, but underlined how determined he is to retain Stock’s services.
“I have spoken to Brendan Rodgers and told him we are not looking to sell,” O’Driscoll said.
“Brian is fully aware of the conversation and nothing further from Swansea has since appeared.
“He’s in the last year of his contract – so it becomes a difficult time for players and clubs – but we are in the process of negotiating a new deal.”
O’Driscoll says Stock is one of a number of Doncaster players who are entering the final year of their current deals, whose futures he is looking to tie down.
Defenders James Chambers and James O’Connor and midfield duo Martin Woods and James Coppinger are also in talks with O’Driscoll over new deals.
“All are in the last years of their contracts so it is important that we start a process that has an end,” O’Driscoll added.
“The players would like that, too, and the process is currently on-going.”
The news will come as a disappointment to the Swans, who are looking to bolster their squad with the start of the new Championship campaign just days away.
Chairman Huw Jenkins confirmed to the Western Mail last week that Stock was a target of the club.
“We are looking at that type of player,” he said.
“Brian Stock was a player we’ve talked about long before Brendan, but he likes that type of player suited to our system.
“With regards to Brian, we’ve had a few tentative conversations with Doncaster, but nothing more than that at this stage.”
Meanwhile, Angel Rangel’s agent has put pressure on the Swans to release the Spaniard so he can switch to Premiership new boys Blackpool.
Swansea are thought to have dismissed an offer from Ian Holloway’s side believed to be in the region of £500,000 for Rangel.
But Rangel’s representative Xavi Cruz, also his brother-in-law, wants the way cleared for him to make the move.
“It is the chance for Angel to fulfil his dream, which is to play in the Premier League,” said Cruz. “Angel wants to be in the Premier League as soon as possible.
“We have been talking with the chairman during the last week and he understands the situation because this is not the first time that Angel has had the chance to play in the Premier.”
Swansea said no to a bid from Fulham for the player in the January transfer window.
It’s expected a bid of around £750,000 from Blackpool will persuade the Swans to do business.