watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Charity Shield - another borefest..?

Started by LBNo11, August 06, 2010, 07:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBNo11

...to be honest I can't remember the last time I watched it live, and the highlights are usually tedious humdrum affairs where each team cancels each other out.

The team that occupy the hotel with a big lawn are playing the Glazier panes, such games always offer such promise but rarely deliver making me wonder what the point of it really is - who amongst you will watch it, and who will give it a miss..?

:55:
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

won't bother with that,but I am watching Watford v Norwich now on SS3 and it's not a bad game :clap_hands:

Travers Barney

The last time I had any remote interest in it was the infamous Keegan/Bremner punch up and that was only because I was in attendance with my Dad and family friend Billy Liddell.

My obsession with attendances must have started at a early age as I recall Liverpool vastly outnumbering Leeds support.

Seems a lifetime away now. 

We are the whites
We are the whites

HatterDon

This used to be the beginning of my feast. It ended after the Home International Tournament. I just realized that I could actually tape it and watch it after I got home from church on Sunday, but it's the friggin' knuckledraggers v. The Glaziers and I can't really get excited. Hope the charities pick up a bundle, though.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Banstead White

Sorry for my ignorance, but like most to me it seems the CS has drifted to an area of lesser importance..., does the winner qualify for anything else nowadays or is it simply a glorified friendly?
Roysie

Jimpav

I shan't be watching and sadly I won't be at the cottage tomorrow.

I am required to work three weekend days a month so I have had to prioritise our game vs the window fitters.

Even if I was available I would have better things to do than watch this curtain raiser.

FatFreddysCat

I dont even watch the FA cup final anymore. If Fulham aint playing i'm not interested.Saying that like Syd, i almost watched Norwich v Watford.

timmyg

Like the FA Cup Final, the constant appearances of Chelsea and United make it unwatchable.

Because it's not like they don't play each other enough already.
"Not everybody's the perfect person in the world. I mean everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever." -- Terrelle Pryor, on Michael Vick

Andy Crysell

Yep, with you 100%

Almost as pointless and futile as England's friendly next week (I think it's next week, but I may have drifted off when watching the trailor on telly).

Going back to the charity shield, it's a shame they can't make it meaningful somehow.

Fletchino

boring
i do remember a leeds v man u 3-3 wasnt a bad game maybe 92

jarv

Agree with everyone else. Someone else beat me to the Keegan/Bremner thing. Great stuff, that's then players still played a friendly like it mattered.
Change the format, make it the top two fair play teams, the teams with the most brits in it, or the teams which did the most charity/community work, the teams with the best looking missus. Anything but the two teams involved on sunday.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: Andy Crysell on August 06, 2010, 11:16:54 PM
Yep, with you 100%

Almost as pointless and futile as England's friendly next week (I think it's next week, but I may have drifted off when watching the trailor on telly).

Going back to the charity shield, it's a shame they can't make it meaningful somehow.
Now that is the most pointless game ever played, i'm gutted to agree with everything Harry twitcher brown envelope Rednapp said about it. A complete snorefest of the highest calibre  :037: .

Andy Crysell

Freddy, if it gets on Redknapp's threepenny bits, I think the game has justified its existence totally!!

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on August 06, 2010, 11:43:22 PM
Quote from: Andy Crysell on August 06, 2010, 11:16:54 PM
Yep, with you 100%

Now that is the most pointless game ever played, i'm gutted to agree with everything Harry twitcher brown envelope Rednapp said about it. A complete snorefest of the highest calibre  :037: .

LRCN

don't care, it's football, i might as well watch it.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: Lork on August 07, 2010, 01:28:43 AM
Wait till you get old and cynical young Grasshopper, Even when i went to Fulham all the time i found friendlys boring (i still went though), but watching two teams i have no interest in play a meaningless game that they aren't interested in just dosen't appeal to me. Would love to see Fulham in it next season though  :54: .

TheDaddy

Boys were getting older have more pressing things to do.I use to watch it just to see what standard the two teams were up to.Now i leave to my boys who watch it just because its football.
"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

LRCN

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on August 07, 2010, 01:34:33 AM
Quote from: Lork on August 07, 2010, 01:28:43 AM
Wait till you get old and cynical young Grasshopper, Even when i went to Fulham all the time i found friendlys boring (i still went though), but watching two teams i have no interest in play a meaningless game that they aren't interested in just dosen't appeal to me. Would love to see Fulham in it next season though  :54: .

ha, well i watched liverpool v robotnicki and aston villa v valencia on consecutive nights, maybe i'm just a football junkie.

bog

I am definitely with you on this Les. Boring is not even the word.....

finnster01

Look, charity shield is a wonderful thing:

1) First of all some charities gets some money (at least they are supposed to)
2) It gives us the opportunity to have both Wayne Rooney and John Terry sent off and properly suspended even before the season starts.
3) Frank Lampard can pull a muscle in his fat arse and be out for 6 weeks.

As boring as the match clearly will be, I see nothing but upside.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

HatterDon

I'd like to say that I can't be bothered to watch the Charity Shield because I'm above all that nonsense, but today I watched Leeds v. Derby County and Paris St. Germain v. St. Etienne BECAUSE IT'S FOOTBALL AND I'M AN ADDICT. Of course, Boca was playing in the latter match, and that's why I watched my first ever French league match.

Come next weekend, there'll be Premiership action to watch and I'll get back to normal.

About the Charity Shield ... of course I'll watch it like I used to 40 years ago, ONCE IT DOESN'T FEATURE MAN UTD & THE UNDEAD.   :035:
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel