watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR The hardest football,

Started by blingo, August 08, 2010, 10:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blingo

Must SURELY be Aussie Rules Football, they are animals lol.

Logicalman

The problem is, you could almost chuck Aussie rules, Gaelic and American all together as just minor adaptations of  rugby.

OK, so one has a round pitch designed by some guy from Wimbledon, another is played with a round ball and has eight (yep 8) officials and the other has more breaks than a kit-kat factory, but all-in-all (and I WILL be panned for this by those really in the know) they are quintessentially the same game.

CorkedHat

Mr L – I know that you are only trying to wind us up so I won't bite.
I know that a man with your commonsense will know that there is absolutely no similarity between American Football, Rugby Union or Australian Rules.
For a start Aussie Rules players don't cavort around wearing mattresses and crash helmets.
The nearest game to Aussie Rules, in spite of there being a different shaped ball, is Gaelic Football and each year the Australian and Irish play a hybrid form of our two games.

What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

michaelread

as someone who has played aussie rules at club and school representative level, rugby at national level and with the Ulster train on squad, and rugby league at 2nd division level i can give a good idea here.

league is the hardest game there is. no exceptions.

Rupert

Quote from: CorkedHat on August 08, 2010, 11:34:21 AM
I know that a man with your commonsense will know that there is absolutely no similarity between American Football, Rugby Union or Australian Rules.
For a start Aussie Rules players don't cavort around wearing mattresses and crash helmets.
The nearest game to Aussie Rules, in spite of there being a different shaped ball, is Gaelic Football and each year the Australian and Irish play a hybrid form of our two games.

Mr Hat, can you confirm or deny something my Dad always used to claim?
He said that the first time the Aussies and Gaelic codes played eachother the Aussies won fairly easily and claimed the Irish lads didn't like how hard the game was, then in the next game the Irish tonked the Aussies, who then said the Irish were a bit too rough? :011:
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

CorkedHat

Quote from: Rupert on August 08, 2010, 11:43:17 AM

He said that the first time the Aussies and Gaelic codes played eachother the Aussies won fairly easily and claimed the Irish lads didn't like how hard the game was, then in the next game the Irish tonked the Aussies, who then said the Irish were a bit too rough? :011:

If I am honest, Rupert, that about sums it up. Although that said it wasn't that they played the game rough, it was what the Irish did off the ball when they thought nobody was looking that irked the Australians. But they didn't play for a couple of years because of the bad blood but last year it was resurrected again.
Michael is probably correct when he says that League Players are the toughest - they are certainly the thickest  :024:
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

michaelread

Quote from: CorkedHat on August 08, 2010, 12:06:55 PM
Quote from: Rupert on August 08, 2010, 11:43:17 AM

If I am honest, Rupert, that about sums it up. Although that said it wasn't that they played the game rough, it was what the Irish did off the ball when they thought nobody was looking that irked the Australians. But they didn't play for a couple of years because of the bad blood but last year it was resurrected again.
Michael is probably correct when he says that League Players are the toughest - they are certainly the thickest  :024:

its true, besides the 6 (five eighth),7(halfback),1(fullback) and 9(hooker) in League, every one else is incredibly stupid and has no regard for their own bodies, this is coming from a lifelong #13(lock)....... who was moved to #6 this year....hahaha

playing afl after 6 years of league, i really did enjoy hitting people who didnt have the ball. That part was fun.