watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR Computer advice

Started by Peabody, August 08, 2010, 10:26:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

About to change my computer. Should I go for desktop or laptop?

Logicalman

Depends on two things:

1. Where are you going to use it? e.g., if you are only using it at home then you could consider a desktop to be the one. It will have more bang for the buck. If you intend on moving around with it, and taking it on trips, then the laptop is the way to go. If you do have wireless at home, then either one is good there.

2. What are you going to use it for? Whereas laptops have come in leaps and bounds due to the development of the dual-core processors and larger (compact) HDs, they do still lag behind their cost-equivalent counter parts in the tower world, for overall performance, and good gaming machines - they ain't.

I have both at home (and in the office) and I use the desktop for all the heavy lifting, and the laptop for the more day-to-day programming work. Unfortunately when developing software and web apps with SQL, the laptop does struggle with everything going, even dual-core.

Lighthouse

Have you a desk or a lap to put it on. I bought a desk top once and made the mistake of putting it on my lap. Big mistake.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Peabody

At the moment, I have a desktop butliving in a smallish two bedroom house, we are restricted for room. My usage is this sort ofthing (not business) and we really could use more room. Yes beacon of light, I do have both a lap and a desk.

Lighthouse

I would always go for a second hand factory Desk top computer. But a lap top would save the space obviously.

blingo

Lap top Peabody, nothing complicated and easy to use. Also mobile around the house and you can take it with you if you go away. I have an I MAC and a lap top, and basically just use the lap top.

Peabody

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 08, 2010, 02:30:53 PM
I would always go for a second hand factory Desk top computer. But a lap top would save the space obviously.

Out of interest, where do you get a second hand factory one from?

Lighthouse

Quote from: Peabody on August 08, 2010, 05:36:00 PM
Quote from: Lighthouse on August 08, 2010, 02:30:53 PM

Out of interest, where do you get a second hand factory one from?

www.itclear.com/

You will have all the real experts on here saying no, but I have three computers, run small accounts business and all the tv on line and other stuff I need on the one computer. They are worth checking out.

Oh and yu can pick up Laptops there

boxhockcycsock

I would consider getting one of those slim form factor desktops: http://compreviews.about.com/od/sff/gr/Gateway-SX2840-01.htm similar to this one. I have one at my house and with the new Intel core i3 architecture it's mighty fast.

I like the reliability factor of a desktop:
1. no worries of theft
2. no worries of spilled coffee
3. no worries of dropping it or gouging the screen

If u think u could handle it, one really cool way to use these is to get an upgraded blu-ray drive and then use the computer like your Media center. Play movies, watch Netflix, stream Youtube or play video-games on your LCD TV. Even pretty cool if you have a TV tuner then you can record your shows, although most cable companies scramble their stuff, so u need to use their box anyway   :dft007:
Time is blind.
Make sure in the parking lot of life, you do not take it's handicapped spot because then you'll be occupying time's space, the ticket for which is being thrown into a wormhole.

kewbridgeffc

I would go for a laptop. The versatility just outweighs everything else. And if you just need something to read FOF on you shouldn't have to pay more than 300 quid.

Nick the Swede

More important is that what ever computer you chose it should be a Mac  :045: So MacBook or iMac ?!
-"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

blingo

not sure i agree Nick cos there are certain apps u cant run on the mac. My laptop is hp and as i said earlier i have the i mac but i really only use the laptop. If Peabody is anything like me then a laptop will be more than enough for his usage.
In fact I run my businesses from the laptop with no probs. Im a great believer in not complicating things and i dont think (from what i have read here) that Peabody needs 3 million gb's.
Keep it simple Peabody, there are some great deals out there for a monkey that will do everything you want ++++  :54:

Nick the Swede

Well, I'm the same, I run my business from the Macbook and it works wonders. I have also installed Windows XP on my Mac if I should get any clients who are still stuck with PCs (which most of them are in all fairness). The reason I bang on about the Macs are because of how much time you save and hassle you avoid, no matter if you use the computer for business or pleasure.

blingo

Cant deny its a great peice of kit Nick  :dft012: Got the i pad aswell and i love it. :dft009:

Nick the Swede

Quote from: blingo on August 09, 2010, 11:45:52 AM
Cant deny its a great peice of kit Nick  :dft012: Got the i pad aswell and i love it. :dft009:

Sure is, sadly a tad more expensive but alot cheaper over time :) Need to get an iPad myself  :Sparkyticus: