watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Why Are The Press So Downbeat?

Started by White Noise, August 09, 2010, 07:38:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Not much surprises me about the English media but I am at a loss as to why they all seem so negative about our chances this season.

No-one seems to see is finishing above 13th and several have tipped us for relegation!! I mean really, how can a a squad that has reached a European final and successfully negotiated 65 games be a worse bet than the one of the promoted teams?

Hughes is s decent manager, we haven't lost any of our squad and MAF clearly intends to open the warchest wider than most of the teams in the division.

Surely this should point to the club pushing on in the league from last seasons 12th and maybe repeating their knockout competition form in one of the domestic cups?

Can anyone fathom why the media are seeing such a black cloud over Fulham at the moment?

LBNo11

...a combination of lazy media journalists and Al Fayed haters. That said I have us down as 12th, but all will depend on how the current squad reacts to Sparky and his team, and who we bring in, but the press like to have a dig for having a digs sake.

I swear that on Sunday morning the BBC announced that former West Ham striker Bobby Zamora had been selected for England..!
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

I know "somebody" who works for the BBC,and he says that 90% of sports writers are West Ham fans,this explains alot :dft012:
I don't think these writers know us or even care about us so we will get the stock "small club that over achieves" replies when the pre season reviews come out-stuff erm says I :54: :clap_hands:

TonyGilroy

The Observer said we'd fly which I think is probably good.

To finish above any of ManC, ManU, Liverpool, Everton, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs or Villa would be exceptional so the most optimistic, realistic, forecast is for us to finish 9th.

For relegation most journalists seem to be picking from the 3 promoted clubs, Wigan, West Ham and possibly Wolves.

That leaves us competing with Sunderland, Bolton, Blackburn, Stoke and Birmingham so anything from 9th to 14th. I'd be surprised if we were above or below that and I'm not sure that being high or low in that group is going to be too significant.

A good season for us means a cup final.

kewbridgeffc

http://hammyend.com/?p=7491

Reading this fills me with optimism. One point to consider is that at the moment we have essentially the same team as last year. Chemistry will not be an issue which will be a nice advantage and perhaps counteract the effect of having a new manager. The other thing to consider is that our second team is in a much better state with all of the Europa experience they garnered. I feel a lot more confident bringing Riise on and Gera is positively oozing confidence at the moment. ]

Hangeland and Schzarzie look set to stay, hopefully we bring in at least one young midfield prospect and a striker to keep Bobby on his toes and I think we will be alright.

The thing is, we are invested in this squad so we see things that the wider media can't, on paper our team isn't that great, but as we watch them closely, week in and week out we notice a quality that just won't be apparent to anyone that has to focus on 20 different teams.

Looking at the starting 11 at the bottom of the article I feel that they can truly give anyone a run for their money on the right day. Roll on the season!

Teabag

The Sunday Times had us down to finish 9th - if we achieve that I shall be well satisfied.

FC Silver Fox

If they have us down to finish 13th, I find that rather upbeat, White Noise.  Usually we're considered dead certs for relegation so 13th is progress.
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

AlFayedsChequebook

The Graniaud had us down for 9th too in their online preview.

I think the smart money is on us to have a middling season, as others have said, finishing between 9th-14th. The shock jockeys are predicting we will do badly because after the highs of last season they would look good if we did struggle.

I personally believe that we will be fine, probably very consistent and will be in the mix for a top 10 place come the end of the season.