watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

BREAKING NEWS - O Neil Resigns From Villa

Started by os5889, August 09, 2010, 04:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

Bob Bradley being linked already-now there's a car crash waiting to happen :001:

AlFayedsChequebook

Just realised that Randy Lerner owns the Cleveland Browns! Good God, how have Villa avoided disaster for this long!?!

mccscratch

Lerner to hire Bob Bradley, bring in Michel Bradley and Landon Donovan... You heard it here first
Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

mccscratch

Quote from: Rambling_Syd_Rumpo on August 09, 2010, 05:01:35 PM
Bob Bradley being linked already-now there's a car crash waiting to happen :001:

Sorry Sid you got in before me, damn slow blackberry in Dubai!!
Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

TonyGilroy

It may not be football related of course.

It would be better if it was but he's left football before because of his wife's health.

Mr Fulham

Quote from: Jimpav on August 09, 2010, 04:38:12 PM
Do we think this is because of Milner and Ashley Young being sold?

Should free up a European spot for us quite nicely.

Milner is definitely gone. According to my (well-known) mate, he won't be the only one leaving Villa.

O'Neill had an agreement with Randy Lerner but felt that this agreement was not given anymore.

Furthermore, I think Sparky will be relatively gutted now.

tingtawng

Aston Villa Next Manager Odds As Martin ONeil Resigns
Monday 09 August 2010 at 16:40

Next Aston Villa ManagerMartin O'Neil has resigned as Aston Villa Manager it is reported today. The Northern Irishman has been at Villa Park since 2006. It was thought he had a good relationship with American Chairman Randy Lerner but in recent months rumours have been rife that all was not well in the midlands.

O'Neil took charge of 190 matches with 80 won and the fans loved him, but with the James Milner transfer there was thought to be disagreement at Villa Park about selling the winger to Man City.

The next Aston Villa manager market is expected to attract a host of talented managers with Martin Jol at 8/1 with SkyBet Slaven Bilic at 6/1 with William Hill and Sven Goran Erikkson at 8/1 with SkyBet, all three are expected to apply. Click SkyBet or William Hill for all the next Aston Villa Manager Odds.
IN SVEN VE TVUST

SHADY1

I'd rather have Hughes.
I never really get O'neil he talks a complete load of bollox most the time .. some of his comments as a pundit have you scratching your head what he's on about.
Strange decision non the less though.
If this had all happened 2 months ago we'd probaly still have Roy and he's go to Liverpool....
we are Fulham stay realistic or be for ever disappointed ...

Burt

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

Here's a bet,Jol to Villa,O'Neil to Liverpool(when they get taken over) and Roy being out of a job by Xmas?

RidgeRider

Quote from: Rambling_Syd_Rumpo on August 09, 2010, 06:19:48 PM
Here's a bet,Jol to Villa,O'Neil to Liverpool(when they get taken over) and Roy being out of a job by Xmas?

Syd, you are bitter aren't you?  :dft011:

RidgeRider

Quote from: Jimpav on August 09, 2010, 04:38:12 PM
Do we think this is because of Milner and Ashley Young being sold?

Should free up a European spot for us quite nicely.

I have to agree. This is clearly an internal squabble with Lerner or somebody higher up in the organization. O'Neil is probably, like Curbs at West Ham, fed up with losing players and still being expected to finish 5th or higher. Good on him for leaving them in lurch.  This situation is NOTHING like when Roy left us for whomever made that link.

Logicalman

That Bookies list is looking more like this seasons 'The Usual Suspects'

come on JC, you could produce the usual film trailer billboard for that one.

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

Quote from: RidgeRider on August 09, 2010, 07:10:02 PM
Quote from: Rambling_Syd_Rumpo on August 09, 2010, 06:19:48 PM

Syd, you are bitter aren't you?  :dft011:
:005: it's just a case of be careful what you wish for................................. :dft012:

Rupert

It is going to be fascinating to see who they do end up with as manager at this late stage. Realistically, who is on the market?
Forget Jol, the compensation required will still be huge and if the O'Neill resignation is about Villa's finances then they surely won't go for him.
Curbishley? Perhaps on a year long contract so they can give him the heave-ho at the end of the season and then get Jol in?
Sven or Bilic? Seeing as we apparantly didn't fancy either, for various reasons, it would be interesting to see how they did.
Bradley? Our US contingent don't seem to be entirely convinced by him.

Mark Hughes may well have mixed feelings, clearly Villa are a bigger club in terms of fan base, ground size, etc, but if O'Neill is struggling to make the required impact, it may indeed be the poisoned chalice mentioned by an earlier poster.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

beijing ben

Quote from: cebu on August 09, 2010, 04:46:56 PM
I'm wondering whether Sparky wishes he hadn't signed for Fulham so quickly.  :003:

I bet he's really kicking himself. He would have been well in the running.

I find it difficult to believe that O'Neill would have come to us.

Will be an interesting few days

Steve_orino

Not much to add to what's been said other than...Shocking!

Wished this would have happened two months ago, I believe Roy would still be at the helm, if so.  I was one that thought he would stay and was intrigued to see what kind of a year we could put together w/o the "distraction" of Europe play.  I still am but it seems there will be some Manager/Squad growing pains that wouldn't have taken place if Roy had stayed...I digress.

Surely Hughes wouldn't up & leave after a week on the job would he?

btw, I'm a Browns (NFL) fan.  Long story, tough story.
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

Banstead White

Others have said it and I agree the timing is terrible. Clearly the reasons have yet to be confirmed and we can speculate about interference from the board etc, but this can't be new.......Poor decision........however their loss could be our gain..I can see villa struggling on the back of this :beer:
Roysie

Peppo

If O'Neil left because of the owners then who really would want to take over? I'm sure Hughes wouldn't that job, he has had enough of bad treatment.

I always had my doubts about O'Neil. He is certainly an ok manager but he is overrated IMO.

finnster01

And somebody please remind me why I care about what happens to Villa and that Northern Irish brat that everyone loves?

I could have finished 6th in the Prem too with that pool of talent at my disposal.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead