watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Non League football:

Started by FPT, February 08, 2016, 03:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FPT

How many people get to watch non-league football regularly? I've only been to a couple of games, I've seen Poole Town and Dartford. With the success of Jamie Vardy, it's now something very interesting to me in plucking players from lower down in England.

Fulham have benefitted from non-league before plucking Chris Smalling from down there, Dan Burn joined from Darlington too. Marcus Bettinelli got his first professional break at Dartford, Cameron Burgess and Marek Rodak are currently down there with Cheltenham and Welling respectively.

If you look at a "Non-League to Premier League" selection, the talent is fantastic; featuring Joe Hart, Chris Smalling, Ashley Williams, Neil Taylor, Yannick Bolaise, Michail Antonio, Dwight Gayle, Jamie Vardy and Callum Wilson.

Peterborough have benefitted from non-league scouting over the years, signing Lee Tomlin, Dwight Gayle, Craig Mackail-Smith and Conor Washington for £1.3m and sold them for circa £15m.

This post didn't really end up coming to any point, but thought it could be home to some non-league discussion.

Mince n Tatties

My other love apart ftom Fulham is Tooting n Mitcham.
But it's years since I've seen them play,due to
living where I live now. .
Sandy Lane long gone now...

Airfix

As well as Fulham, I support my home-town club Godalming Town.

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on February 08, 2016, 04:10:57 PM

Grrrrr!

I don't get to see them as often as I would like to as they always seem to play at home on the same day as Fulham but I do spend money when I get there on programmes that I never read, golden goal tickets which don't win (although I did win once) etc.  I believe that the club have spent money on creating these things, so I prefer to see that investment rewarded.  I also sponsor the kit for one of the players, again a chance to invest in grass roots football.

Alas, I have yet to see a player who I feel could really cut it in the professional game but they play with more heart than the entire Premier League!

gang

At this rate we could all be watching it soon.

Mince n Tatties

Grrrr!You obviously don't like the Terrors then..lol

Rhys Lightning 63

I live in Ash Vale which is 5 minutes from Aldershot, so I do go and watch Aldershot Town occasionally.
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

Airfix

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Rhys Lightning 63 on February 08, 2016, 04:36:02 PM
I live in Ash Vale which is 5 minutes from Aldershot, so I do go and watch Aldershot Town occasionally.

Aldershot if im right play in a horrible mixture of colours,just like
York...Red n Blue don't go together.
Only my opinion..lol

Mince n Tatties

cmg

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on February 08, 2016, 04:40:43 PM

Only my opinion..lol

I think the 'Blaugrana' might not agree with you there.
Hasn't done them much harm, anyway.

I was on the losing end of a 9-1 against Tooting and Mitcham once, after which it was unanimously agreed,quite rightly and without irony, that our goalkeeper had been MoM.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: cmg on February 08, 2016, 04:56:42 PM

Only my opinion..lol

I think the 'Blaugrana' might not agree with you there.
Hasn't done them much harm, anyway.

I was on the losing end of a 9-1 against Tooting and Mitcham once, after which it was unanimously agreed,quite rightly and without irony, that our goalkeeper had been MoM.

Who were you playing for,and was it at Sandy Lane?

Rhys Lightning 63

Only my opinion..lol

I actually quite like the colour mix, with the exception of a few years ago when they had 'quarters' (similar to Bristol Rovers) and that just looked awful
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

cmg

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on February 08, 2016, 05:05:58 PM

Who were you playing for,and was it at Sandy Lane?

Epsom at West Street (they don't play there anymore, either!)

jarv

There are a few gems in non league (my son had a couple of seasons in Ryman, but he wasn't one of them). A mate of mine, many years ago, post university went to Wolves. He had several games with the reserves and was told he should have gone there at 16. He had developed too many bad habits playing non league while at university apparently. It was too easy for him. I suspect that is the case with many good young players.

Barrett487

Many years ago i followed Wealdstone and was lucky enough to see Stuart Pearce playing for them. It was obvious that he would make it big and he was duly snapped up by Coventry City.... the rest is history.

Vinnie Jones also turned up for the 'Stones'... he had a seat reserved on the bench, which reflected how he played.

I haven't seen Wealdstone play for years, mainly due to leaving the area.

Dodgin

I take a trip to Bromley occasionally now in the National League, manager Mark Golberg has brought them to there highest position one step away from the Football League. Bit of a bad run at the moment, they sacked him.

SG

In the 50s as a young lad used to do Fulham one week and T & M the other. Both played in black and white. Was at Sandy Lane for their cup game against Forest in 59.

Burt

Hampton & Richmond... LB's second love :)

Although I haven't been for a couple of seasons, which is a shame as they are flying high at the moment.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: SG on February 08, 2016, 07:19:24 PM

In the 50s as a young lad used to do Fulham one week and T & M the other. Both played in black and white. Was at Sandy Lane for their cup game against Forest in 59.

SG..
The video lasts bout 3 minutes is on you tube.
lots of crowd shots,.might see yourself..

Andyb

My local team is Kidderminster Harriers, sadly due to financial issues they had to sell their best players last year and look likely to get relegated,