watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Mark Hughes To Aston Villa

Started by os5889, August 09, 2010, 11:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

os5889

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/astonvilla/7935765/Aston-Villa-spark-tug-of-war-for-Mark-Hughes-as-Martin-ONeill-quits-on-eve-of-new-season.html

Aston Villa spark tug of war for Mark Hughes as Martin O'Neill quits on eve of new season

Aston Villa were on Monday night considering making a formal approach for Fulham's Mark Hughes after Martin O'Neill quit as the club's manager.

By Jason Burt

Target: Aston Villa could turn to new Fulham manager Mark Hughes as they search for a replacement for Martin O'Neill, who resigned on Monday. Extraordinarily, Hughes is believed to figure prominently in Villa's possible candidates even though he signed a two-year deal at Craven Cottage only on July 29 and is yet to take charge of a competitive game.

However the only chance of Hughes leaving Fulham would be if the club accepted his contract being bought out by Villa. It is unthinkable that Fulham would even countenance this, or that Hughes would welcome it at this stage, which means that Villa will have to start a wider search just four days before the start of the Premier League season.

Alan Curbishley is among a number of out-of-work managers who would covet the post – Sven-Göran Eriksson would also be on that list – but Villa will undoubtedly look elsewhere first. Martin Jol, ironically the man whose decision to turn down Fulham led to Hughes's eventual appointment, is also under consideration although it would be extremely costly to extricate him from Ajax.

O'Neill left after what sources described as a "disastrous" meeting on Sunday evening with the club's hierarchy. There has been tension for several months – and O'Neill and the club have had to deal with persistent suggestions he was about to leave – but this is understood to have spilt over with a disagreement over the transfer funds being made available to the now former manager before the window closes.

With James Milner's sale to Manchester City imminent – for a fee which may also include a deal to acquire Stephen Ireland, a player O'Neill may not necessarily have wanted – and Ashley Young still a target of Tottenham Hotspur, O'Neill was anxious to ensure that sufficient money was made available particularly to acquire Celtic's Aiden McGeady. It appears that money was not forthcoming.

In addition, he is understood to have been told in no uncertain terms that owner Randy Lerner was not going to continue sustaining the losses he has endured since he acquired Villa in 2006. Since then the American has underwritten Villa to the tune of £179 million with the club making losses of £43.7 million last year.

Most damagingly, the club's wage bill has risen by 42 per cent to £71 million (£11 million more than Tottenham and £21 million more than Everton) giving an alarming wages-to-turnover figure of 85 per cent – with the likes of Richard Dunne believed to be earning £70,000 a week.

In return, O'Neill has achieved three consecutive sixth-placed finishes, a Carling Cup final appearance and turned around a club which appeared to be in a downward spiral under David O'Leary. It has not been a poor return but there has been a disagreement as to how the club goes forward.

Sources close to O'Neill, who worked under a 12-month rolling contract, on Monday night suggested that the 58 year-old felt hugely frustrated by the lack of movement in the transfer market and wanted to receive a more positive message from Lerner. It meant that on the eve of the new season O'Neill – who had asked for £30 million to spend – did not think he was getting the support he required.

There have been suggestions for some time that the relationship between O'Neill and Lerner has been strained but last April, when the Northern Irishman revealed he would consider his future in the summer, he also claimed that the entrepreneur had been the first to call him when rumours circulated that he had quit.

At that time, Hughes was understood to have been a candidate to replace O'Neill.

Since then, Lerner has not been impressed that the clear-out of players that was proposed at the end of last season has not yet happened. Until Nicky Shorey was sold on Monday, none of the six senior players – whose collective wages are close to £250,000 a week with few featuring last season – had moved. Alarmingly, season ticket sales at Villa are down 40 per cent on last year.

Opinion remains divided over O'Neill's success at the club. He brought energy and drive and stability and bought young English talent but his style of football was also criticised at times. On balance his stock remains reasonably high.

Even as recently as last week, O'Neill was firefighting further suggestions he was about to go, telling the local evening newspaper that "who's to say it [the speculation] has gone away? This is the nature of the game".

That turned into a reality on Monday with Villa releasing a statement with chief executive Paul Faulkner confirming: "He [O'Neill] has helped to establish the club in the upper echelons of the Premier League, has taken us to Wembley and we have also qualified for European competition for the past three seasons under his management. We wish him the best in the future."

As part of the statement, O'Neill said: "I have enjoyed my time at Aston Villa immensely. It's obviously a wrench to be leaving such a magnificent club. I would like to pay tribute to the Villa players, my coaching staff and the Villa supporters for all the support and encouragement they have given both the club and me personally during my time as manager. I wish them all the best in the future."

Reserve team manager Kevin MacDonald has been placed in temporary control ahead of Saturday's opening league match at home to West Ham United which Lerner had planned to attend.

Chopper

This is interesting.

Had O'Neil gone around the time Hodgson left then I wouldn't have been at all surprised if they'd considered Hughes. If Hughes hadn't signed for us and had a choice I suspect he'd choose Villa too. Then just to complete the triangle - if I had a choice between O'Neil, Hughes & Jol for Fulham manager I'd pick O'Neil.

Will be interesting to see how things pan out for Villa. Can't be good for their season and assuming Hughes sticks by us (it really would be a shocker if the report proved true) might improve our chances of a good league finish.
Sold my soul to the Green Pole

LRCN

sensational headline but then they have this paragraph

However the only chance of Hughes leaving Fulham would be if the club accepted his contract being bought out by Villa. It is unthinkable that Fulham would even countenance this, or that Hughes would welcome it at this stage, which means that Villa will have to start a wider search just four days before the start of the Premier League season.

so dont get too worried about it.

os5889

Quote from: Lork on August 10, 2010, 12:07:40 AM
sensational headline but then they have this paragraph

so dont get too worried about it.

Only £4 Million though as Mr Hughes is believed to be on a £2 million a year deal, small change (A Luke Young...)

ron

Quote from: Chopper on August 10, 2010, 12:04:55 AM
This is interesting.

Had O'Neil gone around the time Hodgson left then I wouldn't have been at all surprised if they'd considered Hughes. If Hughes hadn't signed for us and had a choice I suspect he'd choose Villa too. Then just to complete the triangle - if I had a choice between O'Neil, Hughes & Jol for Fulham manager I'd pick O'Neil.

Will be interesting to see how things pan out for Villa. Can't be good for their season and assuming Hughes sticks by us (it really would be a shocker if the report proved true) might improve our chances of a good league finish.

Agree about choosing O'Neill Chopper. He is still remembered round my way for his early management success in turning a floundering Wycombe Wanderers side into a team on an open top bus parading three trophies in one season around the town.
..but nowadays he would want a bigger club than Fulham......and if Villa didn't have the funds for players to keep O'Neill there, surely they wouldn't buy out Hughesie's contract

..................wouldn't he ? .................would they ?

Lighthouse

I think if Hughes goes we could see Al Fayed say stuff it. But it is good for a joke but wont happen. Even if Hughes wanted to go and take his staff with him it would not go down too well on his CV.

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 10, 2010, 12:29:21 AM
I think if Hughes goes we could see Al Fayed say stuff it. But it is good for a joke but wont happen. Even if Hughes wanted to go and take his staff with him it would not go down too well on his CV.

to be honest,thats the first thing that went through my mind also,you can just see MAF going mental and then buying Villa just so he could teach them a lesson :dft012: :dft012:  :doh:

CorkedHat

According to Press Reports, Villa players were texting each other with champagne corks when they heard O'Neill was leaving. Trouble at mill, if you ask me  :019:
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

Peabody

Is'nt this journalistic license thing one of the causes of what is wrong in football though? Here you have someone who has to file some copy, see's asituation (O'Neils resignation) and abracadabra you have a story, whilst  at it, lets embelish it with some wild speculation. I know that Fulham has a reputation of being....well Fulhamish, but surely this is one step to far. It is....is'nt it?

Tom

Quote from: Peabody on August 10, 2010, 08:53:45 AM
Is'nt this journalistic license thing one of the causes of what is wrong in football though? Here you have someone who has to file some copy, see's asituation (O'Neils resignation) and abracadabra you have a story, whilst  at it, lets embelish it with some wild speculation. I know that Fulham has a reputation of being....well Fulhamish, but surely this is one step to far. It is....is'nt it?
I hear you Peabody. I don't think he is going anywhere.
Fulham for life!

Logicalman

Taking up Choppers comments - if MO had quit before Roy jumped ship, I think the Poo would have taken MO and RH would have said no to Villa, leaving Sparky to get in there from the get-go.

The problem MO now has is there are few teams that will want to change management at this stage, so he could find himself waiting until the end of the year - when some under-performing old sweat gets the boot - or going abroad to earn a wage.

Funny old world, ain't it?

TonyGilroy

I would guess that O'Neill will want and need a break.

As far as Hughes is concerned I see no good reason why he would find the Villa job more attractive than the one he has.

Of course they're a bigger club but if the owner is trying to recover losses by selling the better players it's hardly a job for any ambitious manager.

Paul Merson was drivelling on SSN last night. He thought Peter Reid would be the ideal man for the job and blamed the owner for not pushing on for a top 4 place. He didn't seem to realise that there could only be 4 clubs in the top 4.

AlFayedsChequebook

Is everyone missing the fact that MON left because Lerner stopped piling in the dough (and fair enough to him when his manager gives them a higher wage bill than Spurs!!) so why would Hughes, someone who supposedly turned us down until he had 'assurances' over 'ambition' at Fulham, go to Villa where the well is running dry?

Tom

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on August 10, 2010, 10:20:32 AM
Is everyone missing the fact that MON left because Lerner stopped piling in the dough (and fair enough to him when his manager gives them a higher wage bill than Spurs!!) so why would Hughes, someone who supposedly turned us down until he had 'assurances' over 'ambition' at Fulham, go to Villa where the well is running dry?
This is why im not worried about losing Hughes.
Fulham for life!

Jimpav

Burt

If there is any integrity left in the sport then Hughes would turn any talk off this down straight away.

Its a big "if" though...

cebu

Quote from: Jimpav on August 10, 2010, 11:57:39 AM

Give it until December at least!
Ah yes, these days half a season in the prem is indeed long term.

White Noise

This from April -

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/773209/MARK-HUGHES-will-be-the-man-Aston-Villa-turn-to-if-Martin-OrsquoNeill-walks-out-in-the-summer.html

Mark Hughes in line for Villa

IN THE FRAME - Former Manchester City chief Mark Hughes
But Martin O'Neill must go before talks considered

By NEIL ASHTON & AIDAN MAGEE, 03/04/2010

MARK HUGHES will be the man Aston Villa turn to if Martin O'Neill walks out in the summer.

Despite O'Neill pledging his immediate future to the club, sources at Villa Park are far from convinced he will be in charge next season.

He will certainly not tolerate plans to bring in a director of football, something which chairman Randy Lerner is considering.

And if O'Neill walks away, former Manchester City boss Hughes will be Lerner's top target. However, Hughes has made it quite clear he will not hold talks with any club while they still have a manager in place because he is still angry at the way his sacking by City was handled.

Roberto Mancini was appointed just hours after Hughes left in December.

But Hughes is determined to find a high-profile club and doubts over O'Neill's future have alerted the former Manchester United striker's advisers.

While O'Neill has dismissed reports of a rift with Lerner, he is still waiting to see whether Villa make a leap forward in the summer transfer market, especially having spent just £80million in four years.

He fears Lerner's priority is expanding the stadium in order to maximise revenue, rather than spending big on players after the club posted record losses of £43m for last year.

O'Neill has a clause in his contract which gives him a 'window of opportunity' at the end of the season to talk to any clubs interested in luring him away.

Liverpool would certainly be keen as they look for a successor to Rafa Benitez.

Those closest to Villa feel O'Neill is losing the confidence of many of his players who are upset at his reluctance to make changes to his starting line-up.

Fringe players like Steve Sidwell, Luke Young, Habib Beye and Fabian Delph have grown frustrated at their lack of opportunities despite the team dropping points against Wolves, Stoke and Sunderland.

They are also fed-up with the lack of communication with O'Neill.

"Martin doesn't speak to the players for three days after a bad result. It's almost impossible to get any sense out of him," said a source.