watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

A Belgian for Fulham

Started by sipwell, August 13, 2010, 09:19:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sipwell

Yesterday I had a conversation with Airfix asking him whether there was ever a Belgian playing for Fulham (Malbranque didn't count, as he hardly is Belgian). He wasn't sure but he thought no Belgian ever played for Fulham in its long history. I am a tat bit patriotic - just ask Airfix or all the others whom I went to Hamburg with - and I truly hoped that in this transfer window there would at least rumours of one Belgian joining Fulham. The name of Boyota was mentioned several times in this forum, so hopes were up.

Great was my joy and my surprise - and I admit, I spilled coffee all over my shirt - when I read that no one else than Moussa Dembele actually joined (or will join) Fulham. He said in the Dutch press that he's got an excellent feeling with Fulham, that he is very happy he is going to play for such a stable club where he can further develop his career. I am overjoyed with the news, not only because Dembele is an excellent player and a very good buy for the club but equally because he joins the one club in England that matters, Fulham.

PS. Now I can legitimately bring my Belgian flag to home games. :D

(Going to dance a little in my office. No one is around anyways)

No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

LBNo11

....Phillipe Albert played for Fulham on loan from Newcastle. He had 13 games and scored two goals before going back to Charleroi...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

OldBrownShoe

:005: Wasn't Reg Stratton from Belgium? Bruges? Only a day trip I think.  :011:
Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again
l

FC Silver Fox

Steeeed was born in Belgium (Mouscron), albeit 2 miles from the French border. He nearly opted to play for Belgium too until the French national team manager called him up to get a cold bum on a bench for one game.

Love your comment, OBS. I'm sure Corked Hat would have loved to put Reg on the boat train at Victoria on more than one occasion.
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

CorkedHat

Quote from: FC Silver Fox on August 13, 2010, 10:45:58 AM
Steeeed was born in Belgium (Mouscron), albeit 2 miles from the French border. He nearly opted to play for Belgium too until the French national team manager called him up to get a cold bum on a bench for one game.

Love your comment, OBS. I'm sure Corked Hat would have loved to put Reg on the boat train at Victoria on more than one occasion.

No - OBS is right. Stratton was born in Antwerp. Well let's face it he was both an ant and a twerp so he must be Belgian  :clap_hands:
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

LBNo11

Quote from: CorkedHat on August 13, 2010, 11:27:33 AM

No - OBS is right. Stratton was born in Antwerp. Well let's face it he was both an ant and a twerp so he must be Belgian  :clap_hands:

...I'm only half offended by that sweeping generalisation.. :53:
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

ImperialWhite

Quote from: sipwell on August 13, 2010, 09:19:17 AM
Yesterday I had a conversation with Airfix asking him whether there was ever a Belgian playing for Fulham (Malbranque didn't count, as he hardly is Belgian). He wasn't sure but he thought no Belgian ever played for Fulham in its long history. I am a tat bit patriotic - just ask Airfix or all the others whom I went to Hamburg with - and I truly hoped that in this transfer window there would at least rumours of one Belgian joining Fulham. The name of Boyota was mentioned several times in this forum, so hopes were up.

Great was my joy and my surprise - and I admit, I spilled coffee all over my shirt - when I read that no one else than Moussa Dembele actually joined (or will join) Fulham. He said in the Dutch press that he's got an excellent feeling with Fulham, that he is very happy he is going to play for such a stable club where he can further develop his career. I am overjoyed with the news, not only because Dembele is an excellent player and a very good buy for the club but equally because he joins the one club in England that matters, Fulham.

PS. Now I can legitimately bring my Belgian flag to home games. :D

(Going to dance a little in my office. No one is around anyways)

A patriotic Belgian? I thought you were all too busy hating the Flemish/Walloons to be patriotic! (joking, of course!)

I'm genuinely excited by this signing - it's allayed any fears I had about the style of football we might play under Hughes. Seems to me he is bit like Gera, except a bit more versatile.

sipwell

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on August 13, 2010, 02:45:50 PM
I remember seeing a crowd of Belgians outside the ground with a flag with Prince Albert on it, funny thing was he was injured and didn't play  :011: .

Albert injured? Impossible! Probably he didn't want to play that day :D

PS. Albert was on a loan (i.e. not "really" Fulham). Malbranque doesn't count as he turned the greatest nation on earth down to go and play a couple of games for les Blues.

Quote from: ImperialWhite on August 13, 2010, 11:50:53 AM
[quote

A patriotic Belgian? I thought you were all too busy hating the Flemish/Walloons to be patriotic! (joking, of course!)

As the King said, Fleming/Walloon is your first name. Belgian is your sir name ;-)

Airfix

Quote from: LBNo11 on August 13, 2010, 10:09:31 AM
....Phillipe Albert played for Fulham on loan from Newcastle. He had 13 games and scored two goals before going back to Charleroi...

To be fair, I did get that one later and pass it on to him.

CorkedHat

Quote from: LBNo11 on August 13, 2010, 11:36:40 AM
Quote from: CorkedHat on August 13, 2010, 11:27:33 AM

...I'm only half offended by that sweeping generalisation.. :53:

I know that your mother came from Belgium, LB, but mine came from Wales. How do you think that I feel? But my connection to Belgium is quite strong in that I lived in Vilvoorde for quite some time and supported KVC Mechelen - being a Flem and all that. Furthermore I am always defending Belgium on Facebook when that nasty man Airfix insists on sticking it up Sipwell and the land of his birth. I would love to see a Belgian play for us  :54:

sipwell

Quote from: CorkedHat on August 18, 2010, 11:21:21 AM

Furthermore I am always defending Belgium on Facebook when that nasty man Airfix insists on sticking it up Sipwell and the land of his birth. I would love to see a Belgian play for us  :54:

Yes, it would make my life more bearable. The next time he says "Belgians are useless", I have enough ammunition to tackle him. He is still fighting what a growing number of people know for a fact: everybody is basically Belgian, you just not always happen to know it.

CorkedHat

Quote from: sipwell on August 18, 2010, 11:32:29 AM
Quote from: CorkedHat on August 18, 2010, 11:21:21 AM

Furthermore I am always defending Belgium on Facebook when that nasty man Airfix insists on sticking it up Sipwell and the land of his birth. I would love to see a Belgian play for us  :54:

Yes, it would make my life more bearable. The next time he says "Belgians are useless", I have enough ammunition to tackle him. He is still fighting what a growing number of people know for a fact: everybody is basically Belgian, you just not always happen to know it.

And it would stop Äirfix crapping on about the thinnest book in the world being: "Famous Belgians". If we had one playing for Fulham that would be laid to rest once and for all  :017: