News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

I've heard a lot about our effort on the pitch (or lack of it)

Started by rogerpbackinMidEastUS, May 04, 2016, 03:46:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

I've been up to my eyes recently and haven't seen any full replays, just the highlights, although
from reports this has been going on for so long now.
I appreciate there's no comparison with watching live or TV replays.

I'd be grateful if people could comment on particular individuals and their lack of effort, passion, commitment etc.
I can see the Dembele laziness and the slow slouching walk off the pitch, but haven't noticed a mass lack
of effort of virtually everyone on the pitch, maybe a lack of skill, pace and positioning.
Comments I've read:
Burn is slow
Richards is awful
Betts and Lonegan don't command the box
Frederick is nothing but speed
Garbutt is a big headetc etc
But that is not lack of commitment, I don't think

I read "Our defense has been awful" and "our mid field weak"  "lack of pace up front" etc etc

I've always thought that people like Tunnicliffe, LVC, Ross, Hyndman, Parker, Woodrow, Stearman, Madl, Burn and despite his 'accidents' Amour have put in their shifts when playing.
That's nearly a full team of players that I suspected was a 'committed team'

It would be interest in seeing a breakdown of the players and their to commitment to our club

Cheers
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

@jolslover

Agree to an extent, In my opinion our problem isnt effort, its just that the players arent good enough.
STH H3

RaySmith

I don't think a lack of effort is the problem - but poor play, error prone and lacking confidence and team cohesion is often perceived as lack of effort by watching fans.

But a couple of our recent victories, like at Preston, which kept us up, were praised as  battling efforts on here, but would they have been if we'd lost.

Personally, I think that a player is  always doing his best, unless it's obvious that he  isn't - but how, mostly,  can you tell. If a full back is skinned by a pacey winger, and runs after him but is just too slow - he might be busting a gut to catch him, but he just isn't fast enough. A fan might say - 'look at him, didn't even try to catch that winger, just let him go past and cross for the  goal they scored.'

I look at my own experience in sport, though far of the  elite  standards of the current Fulham team, but I know that I always tried really hard as a foootballer, but just wasn't good enough.

Last Monday, at age 67, I took part in a local tough, eight mile fell race, as I do  since I've lived I this area, and I was at the back - I wanted to catch the runners in front, I didn't want to be last, and I was busting a gut, but I just fell further behind - and there was nothing I could do about it.

Al I could do was keep going, and get round,  second from last - yes a good achievement objectively at my age - but I really would far prefer to be  one of the  winners, and probably put at least as much effort into it as them, but I'm slow and getting slower as I age, and there's not much I can do about it, just appreciate that I can still run.

So when I look at Fulham players , I see players who are probably trying really hard, really want to win, and get fans' applause, but  they, as a team anyway, just haven't been good enough for whatever  reason.

Luka

Quote from: RaySmith on May 04, 2016, 05:08:39 PM
I don't think a lack of effort is the problem - but poor play, error prone and lacking confidence and team cohesion is often perceived as lack of effort by watching fans.

But a couple of our recent victories, like at Preston, which kept us up, were praised as  battling efforts on here, but would they have been if we'd lost.

Personally, I think that a player is  always doing his best, unless it's obvious that he  isn't - but how, mostly,  can you tell. If a full back is skinned by a pacey winger, and runs after him but is just too slow - he might be busting a gut to catch him, but he just isn't fast enough. A fan might say - 'look at him, didn't even try to catch that winger, just let him go past and cross for the  goal they scored.'

I look at my own experience in sport, though far of the  elite  standards of the current Fulham team, but I know that I always tried really hard as a foootballer, but just wasn't good enough.

Last Monday, at age 67, I took part in a local tough, eight mile fell race, as I do  since I've lived I this area, and I was at the back - I wanted to catch the runners in front, I didn't want to be last, and I was busting a gut, but I just fell further behind - and there was nothing I could do about it.

Al I could do was keep going, and get round,  second from last - yes a good achievement objectively at my age - but I really would far prefer to be  one of the  winners, and probably put at least as much effort into it as them, but I'm slow and getting slower as I age, and there's not much I can do about it, just appreciate that I can still run.

So when I look at Fulham players , I see players who are probably trying really hard, really want to win, and get fans' applause, but  they, as a team anyway, just haven't been good enough for whatever  reason.

Spot on, a poor squad that have played under a number of different managers, none of which were able to get a decent tune out of them !!
Just rubbish.

Carborundum

Concentration, confidence, square pegs in round holes and lack of continuity / familiarity with teammates are bigger issues. But...

...thinking back to Sascha Reither's first season, there were times when he almost needed to be carried off at the end.  Do I see that from Kacanaclic, Ream, O'Hara or Cairney, to pick just four.  No I don't.  Tunnicliffe gets a pass mark though.

Dembele isn't lazy in my view.  Against Nottingham Forest in the first half he was practically playing them on his own.  He seems to attract negative comment for reasons that I don't understand given his tally of goals.  He can be a curious mix of swagger and wide-eyed naivety, but he's young, the naivety will surely melt away, and that swagger should take him far. 

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

although I've only had 4 replies, no one has said yet why they think there
is an epidemic of lack of commitment throughout the team
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

MJG

Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on May 05, 2016, 01:46:20 PM
although I've only had 4 replies, no one has said yet why they think there
is an epidemic of lack of commitment throughout the team
Well their isn't one.
They try hard and while there are other attributes I could comment on, commitment or lack of it, is not one that I think is an issue anywhere. And that includes Dembele who you singled out.

garyclashcityrocker

Perhaps commitment should be transposed with desire, will to win or give more.

For me Woodrow, Tunnicliffe, Christensen, Burn and Madl are the only ones pushing themselves and willing to give all.

For me the majority of the others go through the motions. It's their job and their getting paid regardless of effort or desire (commitment).

Their apathetic attitude must stem from higher within the club. The management have condoned it, through not making their expectations clear and understood.

You would think that even with direction lacking from above, professional footballer's would have, at the least a modicum of professional pride?

I can't help thinking back to the efforts made by Lewis Holtby. Although only a loanee he worked harder than anyone else to keep us up. Some games he was on the verge of tears. The bloke cared. Many wearing the shirt now, just don't.