watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Apologies for this one

Started by H4usuallysitting, May 23, 2016, 08:20:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H4usuallysitting

Anyone know what the healthiest breakfast cereal is?

HV71

Sugar is the greatest enemy in breakfast cereals. Even plain bran flakes have sugar ( albeit lower than most ). Plain  stuff weetabix , oats  , are probably the best. You don't have to make porridge from the oats you can just pour skimmed milk on the and add a dash of cinnammon . Boring ...yes  !  However you do eventually get used to it

Oakeshott

Waitrose do an excellent Museli Base, which for the 60g serving I have each morning contains just 0.9g of sugars (to which I add by having 60g of blueberries with it).

Wingnut

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on May 23, 2016, 09:44:35 PM
Porridge !

Put some blueberries and seeds into it, eg pumpkin and/or chia seeds, are you are onto a real healthy winner.
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

One James stannard

I have never 'got' cereal. Does ANYONE actually enjoy eating it? It's a punishment to eat. Complete waste of calories. it's NOT healthy.

Average bowl of cereal with milk is about 250 - 300 cals

Bacon sandwich - 2 slices bread - 170 cals, 2 rashers bacon - 100 cals, smear of butter/spread - 50 cals = 320 cals

Poached eggs on toast - 2 x eggs - 160 cals, toast with butter - 150 cals = 310 cals

But If pushed then I would choose porridge or weetabix

H4usuallysitting

In Winter I have porridge & fruit
In Summer I have cornflakes & fruit

I'm looking for a new Summer cereal....sounds like Wheatabix it is

Many thanks

RaySmith

I eat a lot of porridge - I usually have soya milk with it. It's one thing that fills me, and keeps me going after a run or cycle.

Most cereals have added sugar as said, but I think Shredded Wheat is about the only one that doesn't, and is filling - but it's  hard to eat  unless you put sugar on it.

Weetabix, Bran and Shreddies are good for 'roughage.'

Forever Fulham

No cholesterol in oatmeal.  At the health food store, they differentiate between regular oatmeal flakes and 1. organic oatmeal and 2. steel cut oatmeal.  I have no idea why all oatmeal can't be labeled "organic".  And I don't know what's so special about "steel cut", whatever that is.  It does look a little different in the barrels.  Heard a statistic the other day about how there's more saturated fat in whole milk than in four strips of bacon.  But they didn't quantify the amount of whole milk they were using for comparison purposes.  A glass?  or just enough for tea/coffee?  "They" didn't say.   Skim milk or 1% milkfat milk neutralizes the tanic acid in tea as well as whole milk, so that's what I go with.  I don't care for the taste of skim milk with cereal, so I use 1% for that.  Add some blueberries, or strawberries/almonds/ or walnut pieces in your oatmeal, plus a little milk, and it tastes a whole lot better.  Restaurants cheat by adding a little dollop of butter.  Tastes better that but sort of defeats the purpose...  I add a little brown sugar and life is good.  Every now and then, cream of wheat, but Mrs. FF says that's no good for me.  Tomorrow's post: "Easy side up or Over hard?  It's up to you!"  I also eat regular cereal, and have since childhood, but I'm getting enlightened about the nutrition stripping effect of all the processing of the flakes.  And it's hard to find box cereal that isn't loaded with sugar. 

H4usuallysitting

Shredded Wheat, that sounds good......I always have the Red milk.....I think that's called skimmed

Rhys Lightning 63

Quote from: One James stannard on May 23, 2016, 10:03:31 PM
I have never 'got' cereal. Does ANYONE actually enjoy eating it? It's a punishment to eat. Complete waste of calories. it's NOT healthy.

Average bowl of cereal with milk is about 250 - 300 cals

Bacon sandwich - 2 slices bread - 170 cals, 2 rashers bacon - 100 cals, smear of butter/spread - 50 cals = 320 cals

Poached eggs on toast - 2 x eggs - 160 cals, toast with butter - 150 cals = 310 cals

But If pushed then I would choose porridge or weetabix

How can you not like cereal? It's the greatest food ever invented
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

TheDaddy

Don't do cereal ,I generally wait till opening time  :beer:

"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

HatterDon

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Fulhamerica23

Quote from: Forever Fulham on May 23, 2016, 10:38:53 PM
No cholesterol in oatmeal.  At the health food store, they differentiate between regular oatmeal flakes and 1. organic oatmeal and 2. steel cut oatmeal.  I have no idea why all oatmeal can't be labeled "organic".  And I don't know what's so special about "steel cut", whatever that is.  It does look a little different in the barrels.  Heard a statistic the other day about how there's more saturated fat in whole milk than in four strips of bacon.  But they didn't quantify the amount of whole milk they were using for comparison purposes.  A glass?  or just enough for tea/coffee?  "They" didn't say.   Skim milk or 1% milkfat milk neutralizes the tanic acid in tea as well as whole milk, so that's what I go with.  I don't care for the taste of skim milk with cereal, so I use 1% for that.  Add some blueberries, or strawberries/almonds/ or walnut pieces in your oatmeal, plus a little milk, and it tastes a whole lot better.  Restaurants cheat by adding a little dollop of butter.  Tastes better that but sort of defeats the purpose...  I add a little brown sugar and life is good.  Every now and then, cream of wheat, but Mrs. FF says that's no good for me.  Tomorrow's post: "Easy side up or Over hard?  It's up to you!"  I also eat regular cereal, and have since childhood, but I'm getting enlightened about the nutrition stripping effect of all the processing of the flakes.  And it's hard to find box cereal that isn't loaded with sugar. 

Steel cut takes longer to cook, but is healthier.

westcliff white

Cant have cereal myself, Corn Flakes I used to like, but as I have an allergy to dairy products rules out all cereals.
Every day is a Fulham day

David Allen Crankshaw

kiwian

porridge soaked in trim milk overnight, blueberries, sunflower seeds, threaded coconut, unsweetened yoghurt, yummy and filling
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true?

bill taylors apprentice

With porridge, use water not milk.
And a pinch of salt.

Holders

Soya milk tastes better anyway.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

NogoodBoyo

Porridge, porridge and porridge.  We eat it winter and summer with local honey and a tea-spoon of flax seed and raisins.
'er outdoors tells me  steel cut is better as it's just the chopped whole grain.  The regular Scott's porridge oats type stuff is steamed and rolled which loses some of the nutritional value.
Nogood "have to get your oats somewhere, isit" Boyo