watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-most missed car.

Started by bog, May 24, 2016, 11:13:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

Boring or wot with no football to enable jugular veins to bulge, the book of profanity to consult and nostrils to flare. So, what is your most missed every day used car you owned from years back? Me, for a while, was misguidedly a greasy motor mechanic so has had over 70 cars down the years, some for about 3 days. My most missed is a 1968 Mk1 Ford Cortina GT 1500. Red, two door and the reg was RGX 873F. Used to carry me to the games in some style I can tell you! Now that was a car.   :yay:

092.gif     

Holders

Two: a Triumph Spitfire KKU 975F (Racing Green with two parallel offset silver stripes) or a 1955 Morris Minor 86 BPD. I bought the latter  for £40, sold it for £20 in 1976 and in the mid-80s saw the number plate offered for sale in a Sunday paper for £2199.

Non sumus statione ferriviaria

MJG

I miss my yellow 1973 MGB GT had it for about two years in the early 90's and while it caused me nothing but problems, when it did run it was a joy to drive.

fulhamben

Changed my mind. My mgtf the roof was easier to put up and down and it had a boot. One designed for golf clubs to fit it
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

bog

Funny how we always recall the registration numbers. All good cars mentioned. I did have a 1936 Austin Hertford saloon for sunny days only, 6 cylinder side valve, on the way to being a limousine...and I sold it for £65 in 1975, this still haunts me every day..what was I thinking of!!!!!    090.gif  fp.gif

092.gif 

Lighthouse

No car anybody wanted but was cheap so I could afford it and built like a tank. My first car was the poor mans Lada. The Polish FSO. I had the Saloon but also drove the hatchback version. A lorry hit me on a roundabout and the only damage was to the front bumper. You always love your first car.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Holders

I knew a bloke who bought an old, probably 1930s, Austin 7 and parked it up on the verge by his crossing-keeper's cottage. It would have been about 1959/60. My dad asked him what he wanted with that old wreck and he said he'd bought it for 30/- (£1.50) and was going to do it up. He didn't and moved away in the 60s. I've checked on it twice since (mid-70s and again this year) and it's still there, now fully integrated with the hedge and well beyond "doing up".

NogoodBoyo

Before I grew up, I was a boy-racer with a series of hot shoes.  My favourite car of all was the VW GTI 16v from '86 (?).
My first car was a Mini, followed by a Beetle with a 6 volt battery.  The heater never went off and the lights were like candles.
The Mini was the reason I started following Fulham.  I had just moved into Doneraile Street and was unaware there was a football ground around the corner. One Saturday afternoon I found four large men picking up my car and moving it within an inch of the car behind so they could park their hideous Ford Zephyr in the enlarged space.
"I say, why are you doing that?", I asked.  "What's going on?"
"Fulham, mate," one replied.
It was the first home game featuring Bobby Moore, George Best and Rodney Marsh (beat Hereford 4-1).  I missed that one, but went the next week.  And for a few years afterwards until kids and emigration put an end to my spectating days.
If that Mini had touched the car behind, it would have fallen apart.
Nogood "ah, mammaries, light the corners of your mind, isit" Boyo

Burt

I hated my first car... A 1.6 Ford Sierra. Woefully underpowered, 4-speed, pale blue, and just generally UGH.

I loved my second car... A souped-up silver 3-door Vauxhall Astra. This was before the days of the VRX, but it was a bit of a beast. Getting in the family way made it totally impractical, and so I went for a decked-out low-slung Cavalier SRi, which was a bit of a police magnet!

I don't really miss any of the other motors I have had over the years.

cmg

Back in the 90s I just missed a dark blue BMW trying to cut me up at the Southerham roundabout on the A27 three times in one week. Got him in the end though.

Peabody

Your gonna laugh at this but it was my very first car, a Morris 1000 (Mildred). Though, it never had power steering, so I suppose it would be murder to drive now.

H4usuallysitting

An old P Reg Saab 900......most solid car I've ever driven....I keep my eye out as would like another one

BestOfBrede

Morris Minor UNJ 910 light green - yuk colour but still had original leather seats and never let me down. I remember a really cold and snowy winter must have been early 80s, and going on Nightshift. All the lads with newer cars had problems but me, no problem - started first time and again in the morning!

Holders

Quote from: BestOfBrede on May 24, 2016, 03:31:03 PM
Morris Minor UNJ 910 light green - yuk colour but still had original leather seats and never let me down. I remember a really cold and snowy winter must have been early 80s, and going on Nightshift. All the lads with newer cars had problems but me, no problem - started first time and again in the morning!

And you had a starting handle if you needed it.

f321ffc

1964 Ford Anglia, bought it in 1971 sold it a year later to a friend it  was written off soon after I sold it .
Regretted selling it but always said I would get another someday, that day came about 5 years ago when one that had not been on the road in 30 years came up for sale locally, the fruits of my labour can be seen on the left  in my avatar . 092.gif
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

Vinnieffc

My first car was a 1970's Triumph Toledo. Light blue, 4 speed (although it would involuntarily jump out of 4th on it's own accord. I laid the carpets out of unused axminster. A rust bucket  but passed my test in it back in 1985 ! Still got a lot of affection for it.

gezkc

My first car was a 1972 MG Midget 1275. It was 18 years old by the time I owned it and was fairly rusty, but it was great fun. It also had a pretty cool reg - FHE1L - which was probably worth more than the car!
The car I miss the most though is an 2003 Alfa GTV I owned. Alfa red, tan Momo leather, 17" teledials - it was gorgeous. I constantly lived in fear it would go wrong and cost me a fortune, but it didn't miss a beat in the entire 4 years I owned it. I've had a soft spot for Alfas ever since. They are far more reliable than their reputation suggests.

Barrett487

My favourite car was an old Morris 1800, HLW 584K, I'd inherited it from my dad and it was like driving a bus

Barrett487

Quote from: NogoodBoyo on May 24, 2016, 12:55:17 PM
Before I grew up, I was a boy-racer with a series of hot shoes.  My favourite car of all was the VW GTI 16v from '86 (?).

I had an E reg 16v Golf GTi, it was a great car, but I only had it for 2 weeks coz the mate that sold it to me begged (in tears) to buy it back. I made a small profit on it for my trouble. As I said, a great car, but would have benefited from having PAS.

filham

I remember a new lady at work was put in charge of company cars and she struck up a special deal with a garage on Ford Cortina/ Crusaders and I had one forced on me. I was not too pleased at having a Ford forced on me by a new lady to the company but looking back it was probably the most comfortable car I have had.

Cuould suffer rear wheel skids so was safer to drive with a bag of sand in the boot.