more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

BREXIT impact on Fulham

Started by Snibbo, June 24, 2016, 06:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: Rhys Lightning 63 on June 24, 2016, 10:12:57 AM
I'll say this. If the rules we will be under, were in place a few years ago. Dembele, LVC, Minkwitz, Joronen etc would have not been allowed to join. So our academy is going to take a hit

That's a fair point but this isn't a problem that Fulham and only Fulham will face now. All clubs will have a list of players you could say this about and going forward most small clubs will be pushed into investing more in scouting in Britain to find those gems.

If we didn't have these players to sign then players like Hyndman and Roberts may have found themselves getting more game time and who knows, they may have added to their value, signed contracts and we would have made a decent profit.  Ironically they didn't get that chance and we lost out on quite a bit of potential dosh.

I'm not an expert on any of this but to me it's all ifs and buts at this stage and hopefully the results will only start to show in a couple of years time when Fulham are back in the prem signing European players who will be eligible.
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

westcliff white

Agree lets stay about the impact on FFC or football.

I read somewhere that some work permits may be reviewed, or some want that too happen I should say. Interestingly there are a few foreign players who would then fail the rules as they stand right now. Payet, Kante to name just two of them.
Every day is a Fulham day

Rhys Lightning 63

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on June 24, 2016, 10:28:07 AM
I'll say this. If the rules we will be under, were in place a few years ago. Dembele, LVC, Minkwitz, Joronen etc would have not been allowed to join. So our academy is going to take a hit

That's a fair point but this isn't a problem that Fulham and only Fulham will face now. All clubs will have a list of players you could say this about and going forward most small clubs will be pushed into investing more in scouting in Britain to find those gems.

If we didn't have these players to sign then players like Hyndman and Roberts may have found themselves getting more game time and who knows, they may have added to their value, signed contracts and we would have made a decent profit.  Ironically they didn't get that chance and we lost out on quite a bit of potential dosh.

I'm not an expert on any of this but to me it's all ifs and buts at this stage and hopefully the results will only start to show in a couple of years time when Fulham are back in the prem signing European players who will be eligible.

Yeah, there's pros and cons either way. On one hand, our academy will have more British players, thus helping their development, but all sides need that touch of skill/flair that only foreign players bring (purely based on their upbringing and how they were taught overseas), so will that bring the standard down?

It's a tough one
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

Rhys Lightning 63

Hearing Tories have already approached Mike Rigg to find a replacement for Cameron,,,he has a strong track record in this sort of thing

All credit to @BigBriFFC
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: Rhys Lightning 63 on June 24, 2016, 10:30:38 AM
Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on June 24, 2016, 10:28:07 AM

Yeah, there's pros and cons either way. On one hand, our academy will have more British players, thus helping their development, but all sides need that touch of skill/flair that only foreign players bring (purely based on their upbringing and how they were taught overseas), so will that bring the standard down?

It's a tough one

Possibly but what did Legwinski have that Lee Clark didn't?  What did Payet have that George Best didn't?  What did Kante have that Haynes didn't? 

I'm a big fan of all those players from Europe who add quality and make the English game so special. And it will be a shame but instead of a club like us signing Ohara because he's a free and going to France and getting Dembele. Maybe we will scrap both and find a middle ground with a British Player worth investing in.

Short term will be hard as there clearly isn't enough talent in this country to fill the void but if needs must clubs and the FA will be pushed into focusing more on the development/ recruitment of British players.

Plus the door isn't shut to Europe. It just means we only get the ones good enough to be playing for their country. So the quality/ entertainment value should remain. Players like Payet and Kante and very rare, let's be honest.

The likes that can't be signed will be cheap players who were an easy alternative to the risk of investing more money and faith in a young British Player.  And we can still get players from the other continents.
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Oakeshott

We can't, and probably wouldn't want to, go back to the position in the 1950s and 1960s but I got a lot of pride from the fact that many in the first team were local, and I think players who arrived there through the ranks had a genuine loyalty to the Club.

That said, in those days it was really exciting to get the occasional non-local, star player, the excellent Graham Leggat being the main one when I started watching Fulham.

Lighthouse

Sadly it means that players will have to all be born within the sound of the Craven Cottage moans. We will all have to cross multiple borders just to get to the ground. Games will be subject to the Little England Rules where women will be in the kitchen cooking meals for their blokes. Men will get drunk and Fulham will be relegated. We will have a new owner with no money but will be English. He will be mad and subject to fits of violence.

But we will be in a civil war in a few years time so we deserve nothing more.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Lighthouse on June 24, 2016, 11:02:10 AM
Sadly it means that players will have to all be born within the sound of the Craven Cottage moans. We will all have to cross multiple borders just to get to the ground. Games will be subject to the Little England Rules where women will be in the kitchen cooking meals for their blokes. Men will get drunk and Fulham will be relegated. We will have a new owner with no money but will be English. He will be mad and subject to fits of violence.

Hear hear. Let's give a cheer to Little Britain. Willingly cutting off all our limbs to spite Johnny foreigner.

Burt

The UK has to invoke Article 50 and serve notice that it intends to leave the EU. That won't happen any time soon. Probably not until Cameron has walked out of No10 later this year.

At that point, the notice period to exit the EU is 2 years, and during that period the UK authorities will need to get their head around what the UK immigration system will be.

I would imagine that there will be an exemption or fast track process for professional sports people.

J.Perkins

It will only good for the English game in the long run. Buying similar ability players for far less will hopefully be more difficult, and it will be beneficial for clubs to focus on bringing through younger players.

N_O_W_S

In the short term it won't have an effect on Fulham. After all its at least a two year process to leave the EU proper.

I don't think it will effect prices much, although within England we may see more promotion of youth and who knows what that will do to the price of talent at that level. It may be that prices for players stay the same but difficulties with work permits mean that markets within the UK start to change.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

westcliff white

I would suggest a larger implication (eventually) is that there could be a limit to the number of foreign players allowed to play for anyone team
Every day is a Fulham day

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Fulham v Newcastle will be a significant game.

It will highlight the North/South divide.
Interesting that 'Central London' had huge "remain" votes but the outer suburbs (commuter belts) were predominantly "Leave'
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

jarv

Good thread, interesting subject. IF the academies throughout the country have to give more British kids a chance, that is a good thing in the long run. (I guess).

British players becoming more expensive? Probably not, market forces will prevail.

Future tv money for the premier league? That is one for the long term.

Personally, I have pensions in UK, the pound against the US dollar has plummeted..aaaaaaargh.

I just read Real Madrid have a problem as Bale becomes a non euro player which makes one too many on their books.

I think it will, in the long term, benefit British players but not be good for the suits in football, the money men. That alone will not be a bad thing.

Apprentice to the Maestro

Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on June 24, 2016, 01:26:55 PM
Fulham v Newcastle will be a significant game.

It will highlight the North/South divide.
Interesting that 'Central London' had huge "remain" votes but the outer suburbs (commuter belts) were predominantly "Leave'

That broadly follows the voting pattern in General Elections: Inner London: Labour, Outer London: Conservative.

Snibbo

Quote from: Lighthouse on June 24, 2016, 11:02:10 AM

:005:

mccscratch

Well as it stands... its just means old mccsratch will be able to get over for a match for less money...

My yankee greenback is now worth 3/4 of a pound...    Stunning stuff.  075.gif
Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

Friendsoffulham

All you need to know on how leaving the EU will affect west London football and player recruitment

How will a British exit affect our football teams?

Brexit and footballBrexit and football

Britain has decided to leave the European Union - but what impact will the historic result have on our football teams?

Barnet, Brentford, Chelsea, QPR, and Fulham, have squads containing players from the continent and beyond.

Brentford's squad for the 2015/16 season had 10 players from the EU, Blues had eight, Fulham six and QPR six. Barnet had two, while AFC Wimbledon had none.

It is worth noting that the Republic of Ireland has been included in this list and some of those players may also now have dual citizenship.

So how does a British exit from the EU in the coming years affect our football teams?

The Birmingham Mail asked Simon Chadwick, Professor of Sports Enterprise at the University of Salford and Chair in Sport Business Strategy and Marketing at Coventry University Business School.

What's the immediate knock-on effect for foreign players here?

Obviously players from European Union countries won't be able to live and work here without a work permit.

The rules are quite complicated because the Premier League, Football League and the Football Association have negotiated special deals with the Government for players outside the EU.

This all depends on the number of games players have played for their national team in competitive matches over the last two years and the Fifa ranking of the country.

What's the current rule?

The current rule for non EU players us that if you have a player from a country with a ranking of 50 in the world they must have played a minimum of 60 per cent of games.

If you try to sign a player from say Brazil, the requirement of games is much lower, at around 30 per cent, because the country's ranking will be much higher.

A player from Nigeria who has never played for their national team would under current rules find it almost impossible to get a work permit.

Belgium have very different rules to us.

Kolo Toure did not meet work permit requirements when Arsenal first tried to sign him.

He was parked in Belgium so he could play there and build up his experience.

Because of his time in Belgium he was allowed to then sign for Arsenal.

Clubs have acquired talent by parking players in Europe, but that will not be possible any more.

There were fairly rigorous regulations in place already.

It's not just the likes of Victor Wanyama who will feel some uncertainty, it's managers as well.

Claudio Ranieri and Roberto Di Matteo to name just two.

What about work permits for players from EU countries?

It's a massive change.

Right now the issue is around work permits, but we simply don't know what's going to happen when it comes to players and work permits.

The Government will have to tell us what the new rules will be.

The Premier League worked with the Government on the current work permit rules.

I envisage the Premier League, the Football Association and the Government striking a special where exemptions are given.

Those talks will have huge consequences on clubs in Britain.

How many British based players could technically be deported?

A recent study found that between 300 and 400 players from EU countries in the top two divisions in England and Scotland would fail the current work permit requirments.

These include players like Leicester's N'Golo Kante and West Ham's Dimitri Payet.

I'm not expecting them to be deported any time soon.

It's only when you mention players of that stature that it hits home to some people have big an impact this could have.

In theory, the Government could begin to deport players, there's nothing to stop Britain now.

This decision enables the British Government to do what it wants to do.

But they could deport players. It's extremely unlikely, but it's a possibility.

The Leave campaign say there will be an amnesty so players here won't just be sent home.

For the player, there is though a period of uncertainty and issues around whether they can stay here or not in the long-term.

Having said all of that, the Premier League is a huge global entity and I don't envisage the Government undermining the competitive advantage of British clubs when football is so valuable to the British economy.

What affect will the British pound's current devaluation have on the transfer market?

The pound has plummeted to a 30-year low.

The transfer window opens soon and British clubs will suddenly be at a disadvantage.

Whatever clubs were paying players is now worth ten per cent less.

So in terms of signing players, players will go elsewhere unless British clubs can find the extra money from within their budgets or maybe the TV rights money that comes into play.

Clubs are going to have to do something fairly dramatic to compete effectively with clubs in other countries in the transfer window.

It's not looking to the future, what we know right now is that what our clubs pay footballers from other countries has been suddenly undermined by the fall of the pound.

I'm not saying we've got a result that decides people's employment status it's what has happened.

Wages to foreign players had ten per cent of its value taken away.

This is the short-term effect.

What Villa now pay Di Matteo and Jordan Veretout is now worth less than what it was 24 hours ago.

Brexit won't really affect non-EU players?There's no change for non-EU players.

It's the same as previously for them, but a much bigger issue is we here the Leave campaign say it will negotiate special deals with Commonwealth countries.

Might we see more players from Commonwealth countries like Nigeria, Jamaica and Australia playing in the Premier League and English football?

English football remains a global entity.

We might see the geographic composition of the leagues change so there's not so many European players, but more from Commonwealth countries.

We simply don't know until the deals are negotiated and we don't know when that will be.

What about the Bosman ruling and freedom of movement?

Former football player Jean Marc BosmanFormer football player Jean Marc Bosman
Bosman is a European Union ruling and is held up as the reason why the Premier League has grown and developed as it has.

In theory Bosman no longer applies.

The Webster ruling and Kolpack ruling means we'll still see some freedom of movement.

When all the deals are done the nature of the football transfer market is that we'll probably see the same freedom of movement.

There will be other regulations beyond Bosman that will still be in force and have the same impact as Bosman.

How will Brexit be received by the Premier League and the EFL?

Jonathan Brady/PA WirePremier League executive chairman Richard Scudamore
Chief Executive Richard Scudamore said earlier this week he was in favour of remaining so this is obviously not what the Premier League was looking for.

It's not just a bunch of guys who like football, it's a global business and I'm sure the Premier League have a particular strategy in mind to go to the Government with.

And that will be the same for the Football League by and large.

People in football have said nothing about Brexit.

This is a reflection of two things.

That the football authorities have a very good relationship with the Government and that will be huge in terms of what happens next.

The other thing is clubs did not want to alienate their fan base by saying yes or no.

bill taylors apprentice

Oh ye of little faith !

The futures bright !

Of course that depends on the route taken from today but I'm optimistic.

bill taylors apprentice

You are talking with no knowledge of how things will turn out, only a heap of biased assumptions