News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

England(The Laughing Stock Of World Football)

Started by Mince n Tatties, June 27, 2016, 10:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mince n Tatties

What a disgrace we have become.
I never knew until I read today that we have only won 6 games
in 50 years at the Knockout stages of European and World Championships.
What is going on with our game?
We get easy Qualifying groups all the time,but once we get to the finals we
are severley lacking....ABSOLUTE DISGRACE.. :dft007:  :dft007:  :dft007:

HatterDon

I've said this before, but in 1966 at least 12 of the players in the England squad were the best players on their team. This year? Jamie Vardy and nobody else.

Just because English players are paid as much as they are in the Premier League doesn't mean that they're world class and that England should do well in tournaments. If there wasn't a PL requirement for a certain percentage of the squad to be home grown, the majority of the England squad would probably be making a living in the Championship.

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

malc

Why we keep believing that we can do well at a major tournament is beyond me.We're a 3rd rate footballing nation and have been for nearly 50 years. The premier league may be the richest in the world and arguably the most exciting but in terms of quality it's light years behind-too many average foreign players coming for an easy payday. We've been sold a lie by our media masters for so long and like mugs we keep believing it. 3rd rate I tell you 3rd rate.

alexmur

England is a team full of egos and pre Madonnas

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

ffcjock

Try being Scottish - then you'd know what a real laughing stock is!

Scotland mangers for years have said we're crap because we only have a small population and therefore a small pool of players to choose from. Well didn't Wales, Northern Ireland and now especially Iceland prove that to be a load of bollox!

Poor old Roy though. Glad he's done the honourable thing - although doubt it will stop him from being crucified. Expect they'll go for Rooney's throat instead now. England were poor but Iceland do deserve more credit than they are getting. They were well organised and their dentist manager got the tactics spot on. And they beat Holland home & away in the qualifiers so they're no mugs. I'd take their whole defence goalkeeper included at Fulham any day of the week.

Roll on next season....

alfie

Quote from: alexmur on June 28, 2016, 08:05:10 AM

I disagree with that, those players are hurting just as much as we are, my view is that we as supporters especially within the premier league require our clubs to go out and buy players from spain/italy/germany etc, and our own young players get pushed to the back, very few of them make the grade now days because of the influx of foreign players. For the most part those players in the current England squad are probably the best home grown boys we have. Apart from the poor performance, for me the substitutions made very little difference, why was Sturridge kept on, it seemed to me that whenever he got the ball he slowed it down so much that any element of surprise or quick attack went, he should have been off and Llanna brought on at least that would have offered something different, and to bring Rashford on with 5 mins left was absolutely pointless.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Snibbo

"Pre Madonna" ? - that would be Shirley Bassey, Cleo Laine, Cilla Black. Probably do better than the likes of Hart and Sterling that's for sure   :005:

alexmur

Liverpool are laughing all the way to the bank with that sterling deal

joeemslie

Quote from: alfie on June 28, 2016, 08:22:39 AM

I disagree with that, those players are hurting just as much as we are

The players showed they cared after the final whistle - which obviously they do - but we needed some anger and passion during the 90 minutes of absolute shi*e we had to endure.

It seems like now if you show you care, even after mistake after mistake, the fans will love you. Take Joe Hart, the reason for 2 of our goals, yet he is still picked as he is 'a great shot stopper' and 'shows so much passion' - how about we get a keeper who doesn't make mistakes and is a bit calmer in their approach to dealing with the national team.

If it were me I would want me players ripping the shi* out of Harry Kane for his absolute waste of all set pieces yesterday instead of the reassuring pat or 'don't worry mate' comments. I am in no way advocating bullying him etc but players need a bit of tough love. After his free kick that ended up in Row Z I would have taken him off for Rashford instantly.

Fulham76

We don't have any world class players! Simple as that.

The squad out in France are all premier league players but don't forget all of them are supported by some of the worlds top footballers at their clubs, not a bunch of average (at best), English players like we see in tournaments.

But overall we are a poor squad & that will always be the case while the English game continues to import the best players & ignore home grown players.

None of our players are wanted by top German, Spanish or Italian clubs because they're not good enough. It's not their fault & im sure they tried their best, and would probably beat Iceland 9 times out of 10 but too many players had 'off' games last night, as well as terrible tactics which explains last nights result.

Riverside

A world class player can lift the entire team .
Wales = Bale
Portugal = Ronaldo

However you don't need a world class player if you have a team that really works for each other .
Iceland
and my favourites for the tournament Italy

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: joeemslie on June 28, 2016, 08:51:17 AM
Quote from: alfie on June 28, 2016, 08:22:39 AM

I disagree with that, those players are hurting just as much as we are

The players showed they cared after the final whistle - which obviously they do - but we needed some anger and passion during the 90 minutes of absolute shi*e we had to endure.

It seems like now if you show you care, even after mistake after mistake, the fans will love you. Take Joe Hart, the reason for 2 of our goals, yet he is still picked as he is 'a great shot stopper' and 'shows so much passion' - how about we get a keeper who doesn't make mistakes and is a bit calmer in their approach to dealing with the national team.

If it were me I would want me players ripping the shi* out of Harry Kane for his absolute waste of all set pieces yesterday instead of the reassuring pat or 'don't worry mate' comments. I am in no way advocating bullying him etc but players need a bit of tough love. After his free kick that ended up in Row Z I would have taken him off for Rashford instantly.

Do they really care?
Anybody can lay on the grass at the end and pretend their upset.
Most probably upset more for their egos and knowing what they face
when they get home..

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: malc on June 28, 2016, 07:54:46 AM
Why we keep believing that we can do well at a major tournament is beyond me.We're a 3rd rate footballing nation and have been for nearly 50 years. The premier league may be the richest in the world and arguably the most exciting but in terms of quality it's light years behind-too many average foreign players coming for an easy payday. We've been sold a lie by our media masters for so long and like mugs we keep believing it. 3rd rate I tell you 3rd rate.

Pele once stated we are the most underachieving football
nation,how right he is..

Rhys Lightning 63

Quote from: Riverside on June 28, 2016, 09:18:56 AM
A world class player can lift the entire team .
Wales = Bale
Portugal = Ronaldo

However you don't need a world class player if you have a team that really works for each other .
Iceland
and my favourites for the tournament Italy

Best thing is, Wales have both. A world class player AND a team mentality. Shame it's all gonna come crashing down against Belgium, but ho hum
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

Funky Fulham Dave

The last time (I think) England had a really decent national football team was way back at the 1970 Mexico World Cup when England were terribly unlucky not to have reached the Final again with a side that was even better than the 1966 World Cup winning side.

After that it unraveled really quickly beginning with Gunter Netzer's West Germany who came to Wembley for a quarter-final European Nations Cup tie in 1972 and wiped the floor with England.

Since then it's been a steady decline. The sad truth is that while German, Spanish, Italian, French players etc have risen to a higher level England and British players have stagnated. In short England are not very good and are not likely to be anytime soon.

Anyway well done Iceland, you deserved it.

aaronmcguigan

Should it really have anything to do with the premier league? Really that league is just a competition played in England, doesnt give ENglishmen a divine right to play in it ahead of anyone else. If average foreign players are coming and taking the place of englishmen in first XIs it means the English players arent good enough, they need to work harder, and if they arent getting the opportunities, then why are "top level" English players so afraid to go and play outside ENgland?
Go look at the Oxlade Chamberlains, Walcotts, Delph etc.. so many players accepting bit part roles in teams, if the had the talent and the confidence they could walk into a Ligue 1, Serie A or La Liga team. Whats stopping players moving abroad? SOme say language or culture, a career is about making sacrifices to be the absolute best you can be surely

Twig

Quote from: aaronmcguigan on June 28, 2016, 11:51:08 AM

Should it really have anything to do with the premier league? Really that league is just a competition played in England, doesnt give ENglishmen a divine right to play in it ahead of anyone else. If average foreign players are coming and taking the place of englishmen in first XIs it means the English players arent good enough, they need to work harder, and if they arent getting the opportunities, then why are "top level" English players so afraid to go and play outside ENgland?
Go look at the Oxlade Chamberlains, Walcotts, Delph etc.. so many players accepting bit part roles in teams, if the had the talent and the confidence they could walk into a Ligue 1, Serie A or La Liga team. Whats stopping players moving abroad? SOme say language or culture, a career is about making sacrifices to be the absolute best you can be surely

I think this touches on an important point.  I'd love to see more up and coming English players showing the courage to go and ply their trade in overseas leagues instead of clinging on to overpaid bit part roles in the financially bloated English premier league. It would toughen them up and accelerate their development.  Never happen though, the lure of big money is just too compelling.

cookieg

History has shown that England will only win something when a Fulham player is in the team.

Forever Fulham

So they had a terrible game.  It' not the end of the world.  Conti took a team of mostly nonstars and got them to excel as a unit.  And look how Italy did.  Roy wasn't the best choice.  Not with who he had to work with.  So what if they laid an egg.  It happens to all teams now and then.  England's national team will be better for it.  It will usher in change.   

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Forever Fulham on June 29, 2016, 12:48:17 PM
So they had a terrible game.  It' not the end of the world.  Conti took a team of mostly nonstars and got them to excel as a unit.  And look how Italy did.  Roy wasn't the best choice.  Not with who he had to work with.  So what if they laid an egg.  It happens to all teams now and then.  England's national team will be better for it.  It will usher in change.   

Really?...they will be better for it.
How many times have we heard this,it never gets better...