more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Blackburn - another one bites the dust

Started by Logicalman, August 17, 2010, 11:57:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logicalman

Blackburn Rovers in ongoing talks with Ahsan Ali Syed

Blackburn Rovers say they have held a "cordial and productive meeting" with Indian businessman Ahsan Ali Syed's company over a proposed takeover.

Bahrain-based Syed, owner of Western Gulf Advisory, confirmed on Monday he was keen to buy the Lancashire club.

He said he could give manager Sam Allardyce a transfer kitty of £100m.

Blackburn said talks were "ongoing" after Syed had voiced plans to complete his takeover of the Premier League club within two weeks.

But the club managed by Sam Allardyce, which began the season with a win over Everton, declined to comment further.

Syed, 36, is reported to have about £300m to spend on the takeover, a sum that would both cover the club's debts and allow new players to be bought.

He claims he does not want to buy the club for its business potential but to fuel his "passion" for football.

Blackburn are currently run by the trustees of former owner Jack Walker's estate. Steel magnate Walker thrust Blackburn into the big time in the 1990s by funding a lavish spending spree.

They notably won the Premier League title in 1995 with the goals of two big-money signings Alan Shearer and Chris Sutton, but have struggled to compete at the top end of the table since Walker's death 10 years ago.

The trustees, along with investment bank Rothschild, have been searching for a new owner for the last three years.

Syed claims to have signed a memorandum of understanding with Blackburn allowing him an exclusive four-week period for negotiations and due diligence.

Yet he is hoping to complete a deal before the transfer window shuts at the end of August to allow Allardyce to sign new players.

"Between £80 and £100m is what I'd be allocating for players, but I'm not saying that there is not talent in the team. The talent is already very good," said Syed.

"Right now Big Sam has done a fantastic job with very limited resources. If I can give him some good resources I'm pretty confident he could work wonders."

Syed has also said he will not set Allardyce lofty and unrealistic targets and will not interfere directly with team matters. He is also keen to revamp the 31,000-capacity Ewood Park stadium.

White Noise

You know what, I have reached the point now where I think 'so what' - good for them. If Jack Walker hadn't come along and done what this guy is proposing to do on a modern scale then Blackburn would probably still be in the lower divisions and their fans would have missed out on a lot of great experiences. Like Fulham , they have a decent ground, facilities, training complex and playing squad and are still basically living the dream.

Its a moot point as to whether the game would have been better without all this money but we are in the situation we are in now and I would rather the thought of Blackburn prospering than another club going to the wall.

Apparently this guy is the first of a number of Indian nationals who are looking to buy into English football at the moment. Until relatively recently people in India ddidn't really follow football all that much but it is becoming increasingly popular and guys like this see a chance to get some leverage in the Indian subcontinent. If it means that there are more people around the world enjoying the great game, fewer Indians playing cricket and Blackburn do alright out of it then is that such a bad thing.

This gravy train will hit the rails eventually but in the meantime its kind of fun seeing how many more surprises there are to be had!   

michaelread

Quote from: White Noise on August 17, 2010, 12:21:43 PM
You know what, I have reached the point now where I think 'so what' - good for them. If Jack Walker hadn't come along and done what this guy is proposing to do on a modern scale then Blackburn would probably still be in the lower divisions and their fans would have missed out on a lot of great experiences. Like Fulham , they have a decent ground, facilities, training complex and playing squad and are still basically living the dream.

Its a moot point as to whether the game would have been better without all this money but we are in the situation we are in now and I would rather the thought of Blackburn prospering than another club going to the wall.

Apparently this guy is the first of a number of Indian nationals who are looking to buy into English football at the moment. Until relatively recently people in India ddidn't really follow football all that much but it is becoming increasingly popular and guys like this see a chance to get some leverage in the Indian subcontinent. If it means that there are more people around the world enjoying the great game, fewer Indians playing cricket and Blackburn do alright out of it then is that such a bad thing.

This gravy train will hit the rails eventually but in the meantime its kind of fun seeing how many more surprises there are to be had!   

the question is, if a sugar daddy came along for fulham....would you say good day to Mo?

i think id be loyal..

Mr Fulham

And the next one buying a guaranteed Top10-place. We'll fight relegation very soon again if this goes on. :035:

jarv

Surely, he would be more interested in buying a cricket team!! Can you even buy a county team? Who owns them?