watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Dumbest thing ANY club has ever done

Started by valdeingruo, July 20, 2016, 10:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baszab

What about spending £12million on a crocked overweight Greek player ?
Much bigger proportion of a budget than Man U

westcliff white

Quote from: Baszab on July 21, 2016, 11:26:43 AM
we didn't spend 12 million in the end and recouped almost all of it anyway. Worse for me was Marlet similar prices and never recouped the money
Every day is a Fulham day

Woodlawn

I doubt manu are paying a£100 million, they most likely had a big percentage of any future sales when they let him go. Although he was out of contract

westcliff white

Quote from: Woodlawn on July 21, 2016, 11:57:12 AM
I doubt manu are paying a£100 million, they most likely had a big percentage of any future sales when they let him go. Although he was out of contract
Don't see how Man Utd could negotiate that as it wasn't in their hands due to being out of contract
Every day is a Fulham day

sunburywhite

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

twang

Quote from: westcliff white on July 21, 2016, 11:33:01 AM
Quote from: Baszab on July 21, 2016, 11:26:43 AM
we didn't spend 12 million in the end and recouped almost all of it anyway. Worse for me was Marlet similar prices and never recouped the money

But we lost our PL status, which could have been avoided if we had a fit ~£10m striker actually playing for us.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: sunburywhite on July 21, 2016, 02:43:52 PM
Hiring Felix?

In hindsight, sure. He had a reputation for doing exactly what was needed at the time. Was a fairly logical choice ..... especially if you remove the fact that he's a raving looney.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

cmg

I rather like the one where Graham Souness signed George Weah's 'cousin' to play for Southampton.

copthornemike

If I understand the Pogba situation correctly it parallels Fulham and Dembele, ie a very young player deciding not to sign his first professional contract and so the club cannot hang onto him or obtain a substantial transfer fee. Being United the financial values involved are that much greater! So arguably United were unfortunate, not dumb!

Rhys Lightning 63

Selling McCormack would be high on that list
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

cmg

Ryan Tunnicliffe was Manchester United's Young PotY in Pogba's last season with them, perhaps they might stump up £105m to get him back.

JHaynes Paperboy

Quote from: cmg on July 21, 2016, 03:46:11 PM
Ryan Tunnicliffe was Manchester United's Young PotY in Pogba's last season with them, perhaps they might stump up £105m to get him back.

when he starts playing like him perhaps they will.

bobbo

One hundred and five quid would be too much for him
1975 just leaving home full of hope

nose

dumbest?

I suspect all clubs have long lists but for me...
selling mullery
not keeping clarke for one season
budgie byrne
ian branfoot
marlet
martin Jol (never was a fan)
ruiz
mitroglu
felix
the current board of fulham remaining in place

sorry that most of the foregoing are a rprise of my favourite debates and i am not trying to re-run them now, just my opinion.

By the way on the opposite side favourite unexpected gems were
Robbie herrera
Ivor
Nick Cusack at center back
Kevin lock/Ray Houghton
Pantsil

Carborundum

Quote from: copthornemike on July 21, 2016, 03:38:06 PM
If I understand the Pogba situation correctly it parallels Fulham and Dembele, ie a very young player deciding not to sign his first professional contract and so the club cannot hang onto him or obtain a substantial transfer fee. Being United the financial values involved are that much greater! So arguably United were unfortunate, not dumb!
Agree.  Ten months after Pogba's departure Manchester United were celebrating as champions with a whopping 89 points.  Clearly they didn't need him at all.  Possibly unfortunate at missing out on a developing player, but in all fairness PP was right to insist he should be playing and he appeared 37 times for Juventus in his first season.  Can't see how the description in the title is particularly fair.  Life's twist and turns are hard to predict.

Let's hope the Dembele parallels hold out. 

fcfulham55

Fulham neglecting their own supporters, with lack of communication, false hope and dreadful football since late 2013.
Sent from my Nokia 3310

aaronmcguigan

Hearing Mark Hughes saying Fulham weren't an ambitious club, then closing your eyes and stick your fingers in your ears shouting "LA LA LA CANT HEAR YOU" for 6 years

copthornemike

Quote from: aaronmcguigan on July 22, 2016, 05:02:25 PM
Hearing Mark Hughes saying Fulham weren't an ambitious club, then closing your eyes and stick your fingers in your ears shouting "LA LA LA CANT HEAR YOU" for 6 years
Let us Fulham fans be a little humble here before we mock the club hierarchy. We were the first people to throw the 'ambition' quote back in Hughe's direction (recall the away match v QPR)!

Holders

Turning down Stamford Bridge. There need never have been a "Them".
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

BigbadBillyMcKinley

To be fair to Pogba, when the club you're at brings back a retired player and plays him and Cleverly over you, you have every right to feel aggrieved enough to leave.
Everything is difficult before it's easy!