watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Ross McCormack

Started by JPCL, July 22, 2016, 01:11:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPCL

Some of the things i'm reading tonight on twitter are beyond baffling, has no one else watched us for the last 2 years whilst hes been here? How we will be better off without arguably the best player in the league, or at least in the top 3? The guy has carried us for 2 years and we'd be in League one without him. Yes he can leave us a little restricted in terms of what formation we can play but surely we should be building a team round him which can help him, not get rid off him because he doesn't fit into this supposedly 4-3-3 were supposedly want to play. I agree 15mil for a striker is a lot and hard to turn down but he's our best player our talisman and surely our best hope of getting out the division yet half the supporters feel like we can do without him. Baffling. Its not his fault the defence has let us down time and time again.

Texas White

Quote from: JPCL on July 22, 2016, 01:11:40 AM
Some of the things i'm reading tonight on twitter are beyond baffling, has no one else watched us for the last 2 years whilst hes been here? How we will be better off without arguably the best player in the league, or at least in the top 3? The guy has carried us for 2 years and we'd be in League one without him. Yes he can leave us a little restricted in terms of what formation we can play but surely we should be building a team round him which can help him, not get rid off him because he doesn't fit into this supposedly 4-3-3 were supposedly want to play. I agree 15mil for a striker is a lot and hard to turn down but he's our best player our talisman and surely our best hope of getting out the division yet half the supporters feel like we can do without him. Baffling. Its not his fault the defence has let us down time and time again.

Do not want him to leave. Hope it's all BS

Mince n Tatties

Its a Fulham thing,slag off our best player and praise a donkey.
Its a bit like the British affect,slag off our champions and make heroes out of the likes
of Eddie the Eagle....Hilarious

Chutney

Exactly this, its so frustrating listening to our fans sometimes. Ross McCormack is our best player, and also one of our best team players, he brings others in to the game, creates space and almost always keeps possession of the ball.

Also there is the fact our manager has said publicly that he wants to build the team around McCormack, if he is sold its a huge kick in the teeth for the entire squad, our manager, and the fans.

He's arguably the best player in the championship, selling him would be foolish.

We need to stop trying to justify the potential sale by claiming the team would be better without him because its simply untrue.
C O Y W

alexmur

if memory serves me when he played at leeds they were one of the top scoring teams in tbe league and one of the worst defenses, and it's pretty much the same now he is with us. I'm not for a second blaming him but definitely food for thought.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

MJG

Quote from: alexmur on July 22, 2016, 09:29:00 AM
if memory serves me when he played at leeds they were one of the top scoring teams in tbe league and one of the worst defenses, and it's pretty much the same now he is with us. I'm not for a second blaming him but definitely food for thought.

Had to check that out. Not big scorers at all but always with a negative GD and about the 6th worst defence on avg.

alexmur

Quote from: MJG on July 22, 2016, 09:34:57 AM
Quote from: alexmur on July 22, 2016, 09:29:00 AM

Had to check that out. Not big scorers at all but always with a negative GD and about the 6th worst defence on avg.
guess my memory is not what I thought, Always remember my leeds mates talking about how they were scoring but conceeding way too many, but you could hardly blame ross for that. don't think he will leave unless it's for a premiership team and if he does I think 15 million is fine for someone his age who hasn't played in the premiership, seeing as anyone in the championship that would spend that money would have the aim to go up straight away.

Burt

Given the number of goals and assists that Ross (and Moussa) amassed last season, you have to say that without them we would have been in much worse shape. Possibly relegated. I am in no hurry to see the back of Ross.

Tonywa

Quote from: JPCL on July 22, 2016, 01:11:40 AM

Totally beyond me as well. I attended my first FFC game as a kid in 1962 and in all that time I am struggling to think of a single player who had such a major influence on the team in which he played. The thought of what would have happened to FFC without him in the last couple of years doesn't bare thinking about. He has his faults, which player doesn't, but how on earth anyone would think we would be better off without a player who has not only scored over forty goals in two seasons, but has probably laid on as many as any of our midfield players. Baffled is the word for it!!

@jolslover

He is 29, We will never get a better price for him. He is not suited to playing up top by himself and this hinders us greatly especially if Jokanovic wants us to play a 4231 or a 433. He also does not fit Jokanovics high pressing ethos. There are lots of decent replacements out there (Wells,Kodjia,Vydra,Bamford)to name a few, that are more complete strikers and are capable of playing up top on their own. The latter two would be avaliable on loan for around 2mill with the first two being avaliable for around 7mill. And the rest of the Mccormack money can be spent improving the squad, buying players that actually want to be here and buying the CM that is much needed.
STH H3

fulhamben

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on July 22, 2016, 09:21:57 AM
Its a Fulham thing,slag off our best player and praise a donkey.
Its a bit like the British affect,slag off our champions and make heroes out of the likes
of Eddie the Eagle....Hilarious
wtf, Eddie the Eagle is a national treasure. He is that awesome that they even made a film about him. Doubt anyone will ever make one about Ross. Suppose you don't like Eric the eel either, even though he nearly drowned in the Olympic pool
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

RaySmith

I suppose you can say about any very talented player who is very important to the team - the first name on the team sheet- 'maybe we rely on him too much, perhaps we'd be better off  with the  money  in fees to spend on other players'. You could have said the same thing about Johnny Haynes, or more recently the first Dembele, or even the second.

But, you never know, of course if the team will function better without a  star player, or will be worse.

I am just grateful we have had Ross's outstanding input, and his many goals, for the last couple of seasons, and wonder where we would have been without them.

If he goes, then we'll have to adapt of course, but I think we should try to hang on to him for as long as possible.

alfie

I also find it rather odd, sell him and get 3 others, what makes anyone think they will do better, we are not going to play all 3 at the same time.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

BedsFFC

In response to the OP, there has been tonnes of stuff on here on this subject.

Yes, you get the usual knee jerk stuff, which you really need to just scroll past. Among them you will find some reasoned arguments about why we might be better without our "talisman".

I haven't got time to go into too much detail again on the subject but right now, my hope for the window is that Ross goes. Not because I don't think he is a quality player or scored the goals that kept us up. I do and he did.

I think he is a quality player and parts of his play would be great to show youngsters learning the game.

The issue for me is, that if you don't have quality all over the park, and we don't and haven't had in his time, the team tends to be based around him. When that happens, by default, he becomes integral and will score goals. When taken in isolation, it can then seem crazy to be without him.

I happen to think, we would be a far better unit in the current set up, without him.

We scored loads of goals but apart from very few moments, we never had teams on the rack for long periods.

I love him as a player but I think if we have desires on top six, we need the type of striker that is going to be a handful for defenders for 90 minutes and force them into mistakes. I could explain in better detail but I'm just rushing

cmg

Would 'knee jerk stuff' = 'stuff I don't agree with', perchance?

Rhys Lightning 63

I kinda feel like MJG did over the Matt Smith situation when he came back, it was something along the lines of... 'Right, he's back but I don't want to hear any complaints about us playing long ball, you asked for this'

IF we lose McCormack, those fans that say '£15m, we can reinvest in an X Y & Z', I don't want to hear a word from you about a lack of goals
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

hovewhite

Can't believe we would sell Ross a stupid decision by the club if true.

fulhamben

Quote from: hovewhite on July 22, 2016, 12:26:25 PM
that all depends, if buy out clause is reached, then there is very little the club can do, and if its the managers decision, then we have to trust that he has a plan. But if it's purely a money issue then yes it's crazy
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

epsomraver

Quote from: hovewhite on July 22, 2016, 12:26:25 PM

Not so, best rid of him, greedy , divides the dressing room, killed team spirit, mercenary, always looking to leave lazy , poor for a good part of last season, especially at the start, doesn't a fig about the club just himself, hurry up canaries, sign the greedy barsteward

Rhys Lightning 63

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on July 22, 2016, 03:58:03 PM
Under the circumstances. It's best he goes, he did cause problems in the dressing room, a real moaning Minnie, poor captain, I reckon we can do just as well without him, and pocket more money than I think he's worth at this stage. But clearly Norwich are desperate to bring someone in, he is also lazy, and has trouble shedding weight.
Yes he scores goals, and does things other players cannot.  But he is no athlete and we have had our money's worth. I think you will find we won't miss him anywhere near as much as you think. There is 11 players in the team. But Fulham have to spend wisely, let's hope they have marked their targets.

When was the last time we ever 'spent wisely'?   
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense