watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Given or Schwarzer

Started by epsomraver, August 17, 2010, 01:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

epsomraver

Given can leave City so who would you want at Fulham , I know who I would have and he ain't from OZ

Banstead White

Given for me, I think Schwarz would have eyes elsewhere now.....
Roysie

AlFayedsChequebook

HatterDon

Schwarzer is the better keeper. I didn't think that City upgraded at all when they went from Hart to Given. Tha Big Aussie is more mobile and in better control of his penalty area. He's more aggressive and confident. He also already has a good understanding with our back four. Given's reputation as the Prem's best keeper was never merited, IMHO.

So, Schwarzer for me for this season, Stockdale on loan to a Championship squad for this season, and then Stockdale to take over for a few years until we can sell him at an overblown price.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

OldBrownShoe

Given that Schwarzer has asked for a transfer (for whatever reason) it suggests that he is unsettled and may not necessarily be fully focussed (for us) even if he suddenly withdraws his request.  Both are good keepers though, as keepers I can't really choose between them. However,to be honest I should like to see David Stockdale given a run in the side. At 24 with a good defence around him I don't see him as being a big gamble. A small one perhaps. Fulham bought him for a reason a couple of years ago, surely it is time to see what he can do.
Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again
l

Mr Fulham

Quote from: HatterDon on August 17, 2010, 02:42:41 PM
Schwarzer is the better keeper.

Honestly don't think so. I like him and his one handed saves, but I think Given is one of the world's best keepers.

The Equalizer

Either or really. Both fantastic keepers, but Schwarzer has a limited shelf life. Given's my age and has probably another 6 years in him in the Premiership.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

epsomraver

Quote from: The Equalizer on August 17, 2010, 03:50:02 PM
Either or really. Both fantastic keepers, but Schwarzer has a limited shelf life. Given's my age and has probably another 6 years in him in the Premiership.

That old!! :015:

The Equalizer

Quote from: epsomraver on August 17, 2010, 03:53:50 PM

That old!! :015:

Yep - approximately 30 years too young to be eligible for the Old Sod's Army.  :dft012:
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

cebu

If Schwarzer really wants to leave then let him go. He won't play quite as well for us, if his heart is elsewhere. But I'd keep him, if he genuinely wanted to stay with us. If he goes, I'd be quite happy with Given.

Lighthouse

Swart is a better keeper for commanding his area. Tall and can come out and has a save pair of hands.

Given is now a better shot stopper. Swart seems to react a bit slower now. How quick was Stockdale to pounce on the ball when he was knocked in the air? Not sure Swart has that now. Given is quicker so you takes yer money and ....
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

FatFreddysCat

Bloody hell EQ i cant believe your younger than me, you should get out gardening a bit, it keeps you Peter Pan(ish) like my goodself.

ImperialWhite

How long do we suppose Schwarzer has left in him? Presumably at least a season or two or Arsenal wouldn't be interested.

I reckon the best thing to do (unless the Arse make an offer we can't refuse - say >£3mill) would be to keep Schwarzer for as long as possible with a view to having Stockdale number one towards the end of that time (perhaps we should have Stockdale in goal for League cup fixtures and friendlies, or something like that?).

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: ImperialWhite on August 17, 2010, 06:24:00 PM
How long do we suppose Schwarzer has left in him? Presumably at least a season or two or Arsenal wouldn't be interested.

I reckon the best thing to do (unless the Arse make an offer we can't refuse - say >£3mill) would be to keep Schwarzer for as long as possible with a view to having Stockdale number one towards the end of that time (perhaps we should have Stockdale in goal for League cup fixtures and friendlies, or something like that?).
I thought scharzer was definately showing signs of his age towards the end of last season, get some money for him whilst we can if he wants out i reckon.

LRCN

given deffo overrated, one of the most agile and best shot stoppers around but can't organise a defence and doesn't come out for crosses. not in the top 7 or 8 keepers in the league. but good enough for us so if we replace schwarzer with himi i'd be pleased i guess.

ImperialWhite

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on August 17, 2010, 06:42:13 PM
Quote from: ImperialWhite on August 17, 2010, 06:24:00 PM

I thought scharzer was definately showing signs of his age towards the end of last season, get some money for him whilst we can if he wants out i reckon.

Perhaps - on the otherhand (and perhaps this whole managerial saga has left me scarred...), what if Schwarzer goes and we can't replace him with someone as good? He is showing signs of age, but he's such a talented keeper that he's still better than most - Arsenal wouldn't want him otherwise.

'Boro got relegated after letting us have Schwarzer... (I realise they were relegated for many reasons, having an inferior goalkeeper was just one of them).

SmithyFFC

Judging by some of today's papers it doesn't look like we are going to get much of a choice.
FTID

bigalffc

I'd like to keep Scwarz but if he wants away...... Given and stockdale would be good enough.
Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

Motown

I rate Schwarzer as the better of the two in all round terms and would love him to stay and give us the one, possibly two more seasons of Prem quality service I think he's still got in him. But it's all academic isn't it? Arsenal clearly want him as a short term fix, he's asked for a move so it's all over bar the shouting. If we can cop 3 mill for him it's decent enough business and time to wish him well - at this stage in his career I can understand the reasons.
I'd certainly prefer to see Given between the sticks than the calamity the meedja's been trying to sell us for the last month or so. (Happily, he's now doing great stuff with the carrot crunchers and not preparing to give me grief come Sunday mornings.....)
Don't want to see Stockdale go though. Hopefully, he can be persuaded to sit back for a name for a seaspm or two. Think he could be one for a fairly near and hopefully long future...... :dft003: