https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Roundabouts

Started by love4ffc, September 23, 2016, 09:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

filham

Quote from: bobbo on September 24, 2016, 02:02:41 AM
Quote from: Carborundum on September 23, 2016, 10:59:29 PM
Sorry to hear about the difficulties.  There's a fairly well known "magic roundabout" in the east of England, which is five mini roundabouts in a circle.  It's possible to get round it by going either right or left.  I was there the day it opened and traffic was being stopped on the approaches so that drivers could be handed leaflets guiding them on what to do.   They seemed to do the job.
theres one just like that at Hatton Cross just inside Heathrow airport
Having used both the Heathrow and Hemel roundabouts I can assure you that the Magic Roundabout at Hemel is the real thing. The Heathrow roundabout is a tame version designed to give newly arrived foreign visitors half a chance of an accident free holiday.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

The beauty of traffic lights in the US is that in most places you can turn right on red (with caution !)

A link to the Carmel, Indiana traffic site, they have 94 roundabouts.
It's also a comprehensive guide on how to navigate them and everything you need to know.
http://www.carmel.in.gov/index.aspx?page=123
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Holders

Perhaps Scott Parker thinks the centre circle is a roundabout.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

jarv

God post. In a town near me, Hudson Massachusetts, there is one roundabout which gets really jammed up every day. The thing is, there must be hundreds of locals using it every day for many years and they still dont get it. I always try to avoid it and take a slightly longer way. It is also complicated by the fact there are 3 pedestrian crossings right on it. Also, 2 of the crossings are attached to the roundabout so you cross one, then cross the roundabout to get on the other and complete your journey hoping nobody is on the mobile phone as you cross. 090.gif

Holders

That must be the problem. There's no roundabouts here (that I know of) which have pedestrian crossings on them. Maybe 100 yards back on the approach roads. Anything else would interfere with traffic flow.

I still venture to suggest that the difficulty has something to do with going round them the unnatural way.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

The Rock

Quote from: jarv on September 29, 2016, 12:48:32 PM
God post. In a town near me, Hudson Massachusetts, there is one roundabout which gets really jammed up every day. The thing is, there must be hundreds of locals using it every day for many years and they still dont get it. I always try to avoid it and take a slightly longer way. It is also complicated by the fact there are 3 pedestrian crossings right on it. Also, 2 of the crossings are attached to the roundabout so you cross one, then cross the roundabout to get on the other and complete your journey hoping nobody is on the mobile phone as you cross. 090.gif

Same with the Acton (US)/Concord "rotary" on Route 2 - if everyone knew how to use it better, it would work better. It only takes one rotten egg to ruin the whole process.

I have found people in UK manage roundabouts better than in the US where they are common, like Boston and New England, but I think you have to consider the source; there are few in the world worse than US drivers. I have found in my experience drivers in the UK far superior to those in the US, though less aggressive.

RaySmith

Try cycling round a roundabout.
Traffic speeding  towards you from all directions, it's a matter of  putting your arm out to signal direction, while trying to swivel your head 90 degrees and hoping.

Cycling lanes usually run out when they get to them- if there is a lane.

The Equalizer

I'd love to see them try this one!

"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Rhys Lightning 63

I remember driving in America back in March and I saw THIS was how Americans need roundabouts explained to them. Nearly wet myself with laughter

@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

Logicalman

Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on September 23, 2016, 11:45:22 PM
Sorry to hear about the difficulties.  There's a fairly well known "magic roundabout" in the east of England, which is five mini roundabouts in a circle.  It's possible to get round it by going either right or left.  I was there the day it opened and traffic was being stopped on the approaches so that drivers could be handed leaflets guiding them on what to do.   They seemed to do the job.

That's Hemel Hempstead (near Stevenage near Luton and MK Dons  :0)  and the one at Swindon
There's some You tube clips

Here ya go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3DcChXNyYQ

ooer, perhaps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8ClwohD4Ug

.. and finally, the best one of all ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tdu4uKSZ3M
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

filham

Has any one else heard that in view of the failure of American citizens to nominate competentcandidates for President of the USA notice is to be given by the British Crown to revoke the treaty of indepence. Britain is again to become the ruling power.
With immediate effect several rules are to be introduced including the replacements of intersections with roundabouts and they will have to drive on the left. Also America will convert to the metric system of units roundabouts and metrication will help Americans to understand the British sense of humour.

Other legislation will include:-
1.The letter "U"will be reinstated in words such as colour, favour,and labour and Americans will be expected to use pure English vocabulary.
2.Americans will be expected to resolve personal issues without using guns, lawyers and therapists.
Guns will be permitted only for shooting grouse.
3.Uk prices will be adopted for petrol (the word gas will not be used) , about $10 per US gallon.

4. The cold tasteless drink presently refered to as beer will be withdrawn and replaced with good proper English Bitter served at room temprature.

5.A Revenue agent will be sent to the White House to t ensure the acquisition of all monies due to the British Crown are collected, backdated to 1776.

6. Tea time will be introduced to take place at 4pm with proper cups and saucers and quality biscuits. Courses will be available in tea making.

Numerous other improvements will follow slowly.

love4ffc

Quote from: Logicalman on September 30, 2016, 05:25:11 PM
Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on September 23, 2016, 11:45:22 PM

That's Hemel Hempstead (near Stevenage near Luton and MK Dons  :0)  and the one at Swindon
There's some You tube clips

There is no way I could do the Swindon Magic Roundabout.  :dft011:  And Yes  :HD:  the last one is the best one.  Love the YES. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

filham

Quote from: Lighthouse on September 24, 2016, 10:35:04 AM
As we know in England you always give way at roundabouts to cars from the right. At mini roundabouts, if three of the entrances to said mini roundabout are approached, we all sit for ages waiting for the first car one to move. Bikes have no such rule and need not stop for anything.
There is a particular mini roundabout near my home where I have this experience regularly. The big risk is that all having waited for the person on our right to move we all then decide to move at the same moment.

filham

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on October 01, 2016, 12:08:59 AM
I am just glad I kept my Horse and Cart.
I just hope you carry a little blue plastic bag to enable you to clear up the mess dropped in the road.

Jonaldiniho 88

Quote from: filham on September 30, 2016, 06:54:46 PM
Has any one else heard that in view of the failure of American citizens to nominate competentcandidates for President of the USA notice is to be given by the British Crown to revoke the treaty of indepence. Britain is again to become the ruling power.
With immediate effect several rules are to be introduced including the replacements of intersections with roundabouts and they will have to drive on the left. Also America will convert to the metric system of units roundabouts and metrication will help Americans to understand the British sense of humour.

Other legislation will include:-
1.The letter "U"will be reinstated in words such as colour, favour,and labour and Americans will be expected to use pure English vocabulary.
2.Americans will be expected to resolve personal issues without using guns, lawyers and therapists.
Guns will be permitted only for shooting grouse.
3.Uk prices will be adopted for petrol (the word gas will not be used) , about $10 per US gallon.

4. The cold tasteless drink presently refered to as beer will be withdrawn and replaced with good proper English Bitter served at room temprature.

5.A Revenue agent will be sent to the White House to t ensure the acquisition of all monies due to the British Crown are collected, backdated to 1776.

6. Tea time will be introduced to take place at 4pm with proper cups and saucers and quality biscuits. Courses will be available in tea making.

Numerous other improvements will follow slowly.

Love this